Decoction in Zanaisheff's "Brewing Classic Styles"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coryforsenate

Reaction score
I'm interested in making the bock recipe and one thing I've noticed, and more so after thumbing through all the recipes, is that styles that traditionally include decoction mashing don't mention it, BUT looking at the ingredients seem formulated to be brewed WITHOUT a decoction. Example being the bock recipe includes crystal malt and Meussdoerffer Rost malt and calls for a single infusion.

Does anybody know whether or not JZ designed the weizenbock, bock, doppelbock, etc recipes to specifically NOT use a decoction?

I don't know that he's a strong believer in the benefit of decoction. As far as I recall, all of his recipes are based around a single infusion when possible. I can think of at least one step mash recipe in there off the top of my head, but there may be others.

I recently reviewed the decoction episode of Brew Strong at thebrewingnetwork.com. They had Denny Conn on the show and both JZ and Denny had serious doubts as to whether the decoctions made the intended differences. While neither said that the beers would be identical (there are differences), the differences were not typical of what people expect as the decocted advantages (more malty, better head retention, more mouthfeel, etc...). So I would not doubt that the classic styles are written without decoction.

HOWEVER, if you want to decoct, then one of the running mantras of the brewing network seems to be to go ahead and do it. If anything, your beer will be different than others based solely on the recipe.

Back