Deciding between Lagunitas UP A recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheetrowe

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm going to do an all-grain clone of Lagunitas IPA, and I have two recipes--one from Szamatuliski's book Clone Brews and one from BYO magazine's special newsstand edition 250 Classic Clone Recipes. I'm sure either will be quite tasty, but just curious if anyone has experience with either or both recipes and any ingredient recommendations.

The hop profiles are fairly similar.

For the grain bill, BYO has 11.33 lbs of 2-row pale malt and specialty grains of .4 lbs of dextrine, .3 of crystal (60), and .2 of light Munich (4).

The Szamatuliskis have 9.25 lbs 2-row pale and specialty grains of .75 German dark Munich, .5 Amer crystal (10), and .25 Amer crystal (40).

Any advice is welcome. Happy holidays to those celebrating.

Sorry to add another option, but this one should be directly from the brewer.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=175370

Thanks for the response bud. That recipe looks interesting too. A little bit of wheat and slightly different hop profile.

Not sure which I'll go with. The BYO magazine says that they got quite a bit of info from brewers as well, but they don't say which brews that applies to. I might give it a shot anyway since I paid $6 for it haha. :)

I'd be suspicious of a recipe that calls for .2 lbs of Munich.

It's such a small amount that you wouldn't taste the difference. It makes me think they knew what grains were included and then used software to adjust to a target SRM.

Unless I hear the recipe directly from the brewer (such as on the Brewing Network's shows) I don't take a clone recipe for jack. I'd be surprised if even half of the recipes that someone is presenting as a clone have even been brewed once as a test batch.

I just ordered the BYO ingredients and am doing that on soon...thought it said dark Munich though?????

I just ordered the BYO ingredients and am doing that on soon...thought it said dark Munich though?????

Mine says light, but maybe I have an outdated version. I just picked it up for a few bucks online somewhere. In mine the recipe is on p. 49. I don't see a date on the front/back covers or inside.

Now that I look at the BYO recipe again, it's target alcohol is 5.7%, whereas the recipe given by LesIsMore comes from the brewer and has a target of 6.2%, matching the product. Maybe BYO updated their magazine at some point. I listened to the Can You Brew It podcast today and I'm going to give theirs a shot.

Here is the link to the podcast: http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/507

It could just me me tho because I transcribed it into beer smith and ordered ingredients from that list....don't have the mag with me.

Verified...you were right...light Munich not dark. I guess I'm tweaking it already....lol

Back