Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah. My starting gravity was a little higher than what was posted here. 1.072. Which left me around 6% alcohol or so. But like i said. It still tastes awesome

Getting prepped to brew a 10 gallon batch of this tomorrow. Mostly, I'm getting myself pumped up to grind the grain for it; it takes quite the mental preparation :)

Just got done brewing juggling dogs, playing with the kids, and of coarse a few beers it's in the carboy baby!5 more weeks....can I bottle tomorrow?..lol..!

Lot of good feedback on this one, gotta brew this up at some point. Just a quick question on the white wheat malt, I've never come by this before. My store only has wheat malt, fortified wheat malt, or dark. Should regular be used?

Lot of good feedback on this one, gotta brew this up at some point. Just a quick question on the white wheat malt, I've never come by this before. My store only has wheat malt, fortified wheat malt, or dark. Should regular be used?

Just regular ole "wheat malt" is often a reference to white wheat malt, but generally it can be either red or white wheat malt. Dark wheat is often a reference to Weyermann's product which is slightly darker (7 srm vs the 2 srm in "wheat malt). There is also chocolate wheat malt, which is hard to find and is MUCH darker. Finally, there is torrified wheat (which is raw wheat-not malt) and flaked wheat (also raw, but usually pre-gelatanized). But, to answer your question, for this beer, it wouldn't matter if you used red wheat malt, white wheat malt, wheat malt or dark wheat malt. Don't use the torrified, the flaked, or the chocolate wheat.

One more question. I have a Scotch ale that I used Wyest 1098 - British Ale in. Would that be an okay yeast for this beer or should I try to find Denny's Favorite or a different substitute?

NCBeernut said:
I realize most people aren't going to read through 28 pages of replies, so I will just restate a few things about the recipe. People seem to blindly use the same amount of bittering hops. DONT!!

The IBUs are listed in the recipe as 30ish. If 0.75oz gives you 40, then why not adjust it? I did a partial boil (4 gal?), so obviously I got worse utilization than one would get with a full boil.

Also, bittering variety isn't important as long as you are using a clean bittering hop. The beer is too roasty to ever notice a difference between Northern Brewer and Magnum, for example.

Yes, other English and American yeast can work. Will it be exactly the same? Probably not, but it should be close.

If your chocolate malt or roasted barley is a little darker or lighter, that's fine. No need to make quantity adjustments. It's going to be black either way.

Instead of amber extract, can you just use all light extract and increase the amount of crystal malt? Yes.

Are maltodextrin and lactose interchangeable? No. If you want to try using it instead of lactose, go for it. Just realize you won't be brewing this beer.

I wish I could edit the OP, but I can't.

Cheers!

See yeast

Ha, thanks. I guess I glossed over that part. Well, I'm ready to make this now, so I'll post in about a month and a half how it turns out!

yeah i dont feel like reading all these pages but im going to brew this soon all grain and im wondering what changes have been tried out on this recipe and if their worth it? or should i just stick with the original recipe?

I just ordered all my ingredients for this, I wish I didn't have to wait until next weekend to brew :(

At least waiting a week to brew won't be as bad as waiting a month to keg

Just pitched the yeast for this bad boy. We did the all-grain version, but using notty as the yeast. Excited to see how it turns out. Tasted the wort after taking the OG and it is definitely going to have a nice roasty flavor. The only thing that stinks is ours came out a very dark brown, not quite black. We did a double batch sparge and I'm thinking we may have diluted it a little too much, not exactly sure. The OG came in at 1.044 so that would make sense. Anyhow, still stoked to see how this one turns out, we'll keep the thread updated.

Bottled this baby about an hour ago, I took a sample taste and WOW this is going to be a good one.This will be my first stout and I'm pretty sure I'll be brewing this one again.

opened my first few bottles of this last night. a bit early, only 1.5 weeks in the bottle, but had to bring some to a party. best batch i've made so far. awesome roasty flavor and residual sweetness. used safale 05 for this and it came out perfect. 3 people who don't like beer at all, really liked this. and everyone else who said they didn't like stouts, loved it. great beer recipe. brew this if you haven't yet.

I just bottled a similar version of this today using ingredients that I had laying around - I used dark and light DME rather than amber and wheat and used a variety of hops (Nugget, Galena, Cascade and Goldings). The grains and lactose were the same and used 1084. The beer smells great and has that hint of coffee with a nice roasted finish. Cant wait to taste it after it carbs up. Great recipe - thanks for posting.

C2H6O said:
I just bottled a similar version of this today using ingredients that I had laying around - I used dark and light DME rather than amber and wheat and used a variety of hops (Nugget, Galena, Cascade and Goldings). The grains and lactose were the same and used 1084. The beer smells great and has that hint of coffee with a nice roasted finish. Cant wait to taste it after it carbs up. Great recipe - thanks for posting.

Good luck sounds good

Just wanted to add my 2 cents......I cracked one open tonight after it's been in the bottle for 3 weeks.It tastes awesome I couldn't get over the mouth feel silky, rich beer.This was my first stout I ever brewed and to be honest the first one I was extremely proud of.

Great recipe its going in the "I will brew this freakin beer again" category.

I finally got around to brewing this on the 1st. I put in a little extra lactose (just to finish the bag) but I am really excited for it to be done. Surprisingly, it still bubbles a bit from the airlock. I know that's no indication of fermentation, but a little different than I'm used to. I haven't even thought of taking a gravity reading yet because I'm letting it sit in the primary for a month. The only thing that keeps me from diving into it is the previous fat tire clone that I have in the kegerator

Finally cracked into one of these after a month in the fermenter and about 16 days of carbonating in the bottles. Very very pleased with the results. It's got a silky mouthfeel with lots of chocolate/coffee undertones in the taste. Will definitely share this one with my beer-loving friends and brew again soon.

I finally got around to brewing this on the 1st. I put in a little extra lactose (just to finish the bag) but I am really excited for it to be done. Surprisingly, it still bubbles a bit from the airlock. I know that's no indication of fermentation, but a little different than I'm used to. I haven't even thought of taking a gravity reading yet because I'm letting it sit in the primary for a month. The only thing that keeps me from diving into it is the previous fat tire clone that I have in the kegerator

I have tried a couple - its been in the bottle about 4 weeks. Good head retention and lacing. Definitely goes through 3 phases - sweet to start, coffee intermediate, and finishes roasty. I am a little surprised by the bitterness. I know I used a variety of hops I had laying around so I am curious how well Beersmith actually calculates the AA for time and storage conditions. Overall very pleased and have had positive responses from friends.

Just my 2Cs.....

Just kegged my batch tonight, I am excited for it to be carbed up but the hydrometer sample was amazing. Hands down the best brew I've made! Great recipe, I know I will be making it again. Since I love porters and stouts, I may just keep this a permanent beer in my kegerator

Head is spinning from reading all the posts on my phone...I want to brew this tonight and have one question that is confusing me...is the original post extract recipe based on a 4 gallon boil? I'm used to doing my recipes as a 2.5 gal boil and topping up to 5 gal in the ale pail. I only have a 4 gal boil pot.

Revisiting this beer the first time was great can't wait for my ingredients to come in.Thanks again! !!!

Revisiting this beer the first time was great can't wait for my ingredients to come in.Thanks again! !!!

I am planning on making this my next brew (extract version) but I was wondering if the original recipe was for a full boil or a 2.5 gal boil? I will be doing a 2.5 gal boil so will i need to change the OP's recipe? Thanks for the advice, can't wait to get this one going.

Also what type of dry yeast would you all recommend. I was thinking S-04?

I am planning on making this my next brew (extract version) but I was wondering if the original recipe was for a full boil or a 2.5 gal boil? I will be doing a 2.5 gal boil so will i need to change the OP's recipe? Thanks for the advice, can't wait to get this one going.

Also what type of dry yeast would you all recommend. I was thinking S-04?

I did a 4.5 gallon boil. The only thing you should adjust is the 60 minute bittering addition to hit 30 ibus. The rest should be the same. For dry yeast...nottingham would probably be my first choice, then US-05.

Denny's can be a little finicky and can finish out slowly. One of the reasons I recommend a month in primary.

In late April, I brewed up a double batch of this, and a week or so ago, I finally got around to kegging it. Its still a little light on carbonation for my tastes, but it is quite delicious. I'm not a huge stout fan, but I do appreciate the occasional glass of stout and this will be nice to have around. Next time I'll give the yeast prescribed in the recipe a try - this time I used pacman since that's what I had.

It'll also keep one of the four taps active for quite a while. Both kegs are carbed up, and I'll be pulling one as a reserve for the future :)

Got all my ingredients for this today at my LHBS. Had all the grain measured out and milled (it's a do-it-yourself type place) when I looked at the bins of grain and realized I got chocolate WHEAT instead of chocolate malt :eek: Oh well, we'll see how it turns out. Will this have a dramatic effect on the taste, though?

I used a pale chocolate malt because the HBS did not have chocolate malt and it still turned out delicious...it was not as dark as a stout but all the flavors were there...

Back