decent submersible scientufic temp probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon_k

Reaction score
My first batch was ruined because it was too hot apparently. I wort chilled this one to "70" but then temp probing pre pitch in my bucjeg it was 115!!!

No wonder my first batch didn't do anything. Now ive been ice bathing my bucket for 40 mins....

But in my kitchen after 10 mins this polder cooking probe claims it's 99 degrees in my kitchen. Turns out probes suck.

I hear the pen probe being talked about but I want a probe on a 3 foot wire at least that is fully submersable and I will pay over $150 if its actually accurate and not typical Chinese or American trash. Ideas? I don't cook food so don't know what's water proof fully submersable and most important 5 degrees of accuracy please.

Check thermoworks - they have submersible probes and long needle probes for frying pots.

My first batch was ruined because it was too hot apparently. I wort chilled this one to "70" but then temp probing pre pitch in my bucjeg it was 115!!!

No wonder my first batch didn't do anything. Now ive been ice bathing my bucket for 40 mins....

But in my kitchen after 10 mins this polder cooking probe claims it's 99 degrees in my kitchen. Turns out probes suck.

I hear the pen probe being talked about but I want a probe on a 3 foot wire at least that is fully submersable and I will pay over $150 if its actually accurate and not typical Chinese or American trash. Ideas? I don't cook food so don't know what's water proof fully submersable and most important 5 degrees of accuracy please.

Thermoworks is an english company that makes great temperature devices. Go to their website and see if they have what you need. You'll pay dearly for it also

I have a Thermoworks ChefAlarm with the long probe (the one on the add-ons page that mentions brewing) and am a fan- long enough lead to set the base unit out of the way, accurate, quick readings.

Edit- wasn't over-the-top in price either, even with the extra probe.

I recently purchased the ThermoWorks "Dot" with oven probe. Dot was $39.00. The silicon probe for liquids was half off at $8.00.

I recently purchased the ThermoWorks "Dot" with oven probe. Dot was $39.00. The silicon probe for liquids was half off at $8.00.

The temperature alarm on the DOT looks awesome. A lot of times I'll overheat my mash / sparge water and have to wait for it to cool down. Waiting for the water to cool down makes brew days even longer than they already are.

+1 for thermoworks, I got a thermopen on a firesale and it started flaking out after two years. shipped it back to the company and they had a replacement in my hands in less than a week.

you want a chef alarm or a dot with the sous vide needle probe the other isn't rated for submersion. The thing about the chef alarm over the dot is that you can have high or low alarms as well as a timer all in one place.

with temp trust but verify I have use a thermoworks thermapen for spot checks and keep this sitting in my mashtun... (the 24" model) http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt610b_12+24.html

YMMV, but I trashed a name brand probe by submerging it and found it was going to cost the same as the initial investment to replace.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back