Death and homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsmonkey

Reaction score
My '53 Farmall is on a temporary hiatus. OK, I think it's dead. Spent the whole day mowing for the big party at our place on the 4th. Tractor died about 6pm. I'm not really a mechanic, I just screw with stuff to keep it going. Couldn't screw with the tractor enough to get it to start again. Left it in the pasture with the donkey. He's cool with me parking it there. Last I saw of him, he was trying to figure out how to get into the driver's seat. Thank God for homebrew!
I've just opened one of the amber ales I bottled on wed. night. Have slight carbonation and a great Chinook hoppiness going on. OK, maybe I didn't just open it. Maybe I'm 3/4 way through a 40 of it. Point is: the tractor no longer bothers me. Hell, I bet it no longer bothers the donkey!
Isn't it amazing how our hobby helps us to deal with, or ignore life's little problems? Mother in law coming for the weekend? I recommend a nice lager. IRS auditing you? Imperial Stout. I'm not recommending alcohol as a crutch for those who can't deal with reality, or anything. It is reality itself.

YAY, BEER!!!!!

Monkey:drunk:

Sounds like you need to make some Bent Rod Rye (a broken lawnmower ale).

The forest next to your home is now a pile of logs? Have a homebrew, enjoy the sunset through the "no longer there" trees!

Hey, what model is your Farmall? When my Grandpa got back from WWII and started farming the first tractor he ever bought was a '49 H. Up till then he'd been using a team of horses. My Grandma was p**sed because he had to take out a loan to buy it - something like $1500, and it came with a cultivator. Not a bad investment, if you ask me.

My dad still has it and still uses it around the farm. He recently restored it and it looks sweet. The engine just got rebuilt for the first time about 5 years ago.

My dad restores old tractors. Couldn't tell you what models or anything (I know jack about farm machinery), but it's something that he really enjoys doing. Tried to convince him to restore an old pickup or motorcycle with me, but alas, nothing doing.

Yup,
My Dads Harvester is pretty old.
I never knew they had dates, like in years,
they are just old,
and they just run forever.
Sure is easier to:
'not run out of desil'
than it is to bleed the fuel lines and get all the damn air out of the lines.
Starts good now,
I finished the front pasture this morning,
and now am brewing a batch of 'Hammerbeir.'
Gettin ignert and contemplating the universe.

Ya'll keep your heads down

and don't get none on ya

J. Winters Knife

sudsmonkey said:
My '53 Farmall is on a temporary hiatus. OK, I think it's dead. Spent the whole day mowing for the big party at our place on the 4th. Tractor died about 6pm. I'm not really a mechanic, I just screw with stuff to keep it going. Couldn't screw with the tractor enough to get it to start again. Left it in the pasture with the donkey. He's cool with me parking it there. Last I saw of him, he was trying to figure out how to get into the driver's seat. Thank God for homebrew!
I've just opened one of the amber ales I bottled on wed. night. Have slight carbonation and a great Chinook hoppiness going on. OK, maybe I didn't just open it. Maybe I'm 3/4 way through a 40 of it. Point is: the tractor no longer bothers me. Hell, I bet it no longer bothers the donkey!
Isn't it amazing how our hobby helps us to deal with, or ignore life's little problems? Mother in law coming for the weekend? I recommend a nice lager. IRS auditing you? Imperial Stout. I'm not recommending alcohol as a crutch for those who can't deal with reality, or anything. It is reality itself.

YAY, BEER!!!!!

Monkey:drunk:

"I've struggled with reality all my life, and now I'm happy to say that I've finally won out over it" :cross:

I wish I had an old tractor in my backyard, running or not. I love those things:)

so what beer goes with writing a masters thesis paper?
steel reserve is getting boring (don't mock me, it's cheap).
i wish i had an old tractor to fix to distract me! all i have is a broken weed whacker and a wheelbarrow with a flat tire.

i made 2 cases of strawberry ale for our housewarming and 8 people showed up and drank maybe 6 beers. i guess that's 42 beers to help me write my paper.

i wanted a pet goat but my wife made sure we adopted a dog. i still want a goat. and maybe some chickens for the eggs.

hobbies are our best reality no matter what they are. without hobbies and other distractions like homebrewing, all we do is work on stuff other people tell us is important. and that's no fun.

barrett

I've spent a lot of hours on a Farmall much like that one - looking down at a cultivator and 12 inch corn..........call me retro, old school, or hillbilly but that's the way I grew up....

Skol!

gremlin said:
i wanted a pet goat but my wife made sure we adopted a dog. i still want a goat. and maybe some chickens for the eggs.

That's awesome...I keep trying to talk my wife into buying an acreage for our next house, but she's a city girl. I'm an old country boy who somehow ended up wearing a suit and tie every day, but I want a pet goat too. I told her I want a goat and a Farmall H to mow the grass. She thinks I'm stupid.

Clarification: The goat would be to mow the grass. The H would be for driving around on and playing farmer. :)

I may live in the city and work for The Man, but I'm still a hick at heart.:rockin:

Yep! I grew up in SW Michigan with one foot in the furrow....spent many a year on those old Farmalls! We started with a H, then when I was about six Dad bought an old used M. My uncle had an M-TA with the torque amplifier, so he could plow thru some really hard clay.

I just recently bought myself a International 300 Utility, vintage '54 or '55. Same age as me.

Back