dealing with oil in adjuncts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFancyPlants

Reaction score
Is there a way to deal with oil in mash/wart from oily adjuncts? I recently used a cereal (like from a box) that had a fair amount of soy oil and I did see a bit of scum in the carboy during fermentation. I just drank the beer before the oil had a chance to go rancid, but is there another way to remove or process the oil? I've heard the recommendation to add nuts to the fermenter(like can) which I would think could cause the same issue.

You could use a non-polar solvent to pull out the oil, but that would also strip other non-polar solutes from the cereal.

Another option would be to absorb the oil into a solid. Put the cereal in between a couple of paper towels. Put the cereal + paper towels on a dinner plate. Put a weight like a book on top of the cereal/paper towels. Leave in a warm spot or maybe put them in your oven and try to keep it at around 110-120F. The warm temperature should help the oil & fats become more fluid and make them easier to absorb.

Back