Dealing with all that hop trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

The longest lasting reoccurring issue in my brew day is handling all the god-damn hop goop formed during boil and dry-hopping. It really takes a huge chunk of my beer!

I'm a bit of a hop head, and like to make APAs and IPAs with a ton of hops. Yesterday I made a APA with 6 oz of hops in the boil, and we're going to dry hop on 6 more oz. Our sediment layer is a good 2 inches thick in the carboy. I filter the trub through a screen and a hop bag and still ended up with this much.

It clogs all filters and makes transferring to the carboy a living hell every time we do it.

What are your techniques? I can't imagine everyone is pausing to shake out a clogged paint strainer every 2 minutes like I am...

The method I use is simple. I transfer the Wort to my carboy using a large tube to siphon. I leave all the hops in the wort and and pitch my yeast. After primary I siphon to a secondary and dump my waste. The hops are typically caught in the yeast and have settled in the bottle. I dont touch my carboy for the remainder of fermentation time to allow everything to settle before racking. I do lose beer but i found it isnt enough to worry about. You may want to consider making a larger batch to compensate for loss?

I bet you could make one using a wire mesh from the hardware store bent into a cone shape. Just sanitize it first obviously.

After years of dealing with a clogged "hopstopper" I just switched to whirlpooling. First batch and it worked great. Others who have been doing it for longer seem to have good results.

Use HopShot (hop extract) as your only boil addition and then bag pellet hops for the hopstand.

After years of dealing with a clogged "hopstopper" I just switched to whirlpooling. First batch and it worked great. Others who have been doing it for longer seem to have good results.

I use Irish Moss and try whirlpooling every time I brew and have yet to have any effect. I see many people say it works great for them, but I see just as many in my shoes : /

I use Irish Moss and try whirlpooling every time I brew and have yet to have any effect. I see many people say it works great for them, but I see just as many in my shoes : /

Sorry to hear that. Do you allow time for it to settle?

This might not be a popular choice, and I don't brew IPAs very often, but I just dump everything into a sanitized bucket lined with a sanitized paint strainer bag. Pull the bag out and let all the wort drain out. Either ferment in the bucket or transfer to a carboy. It's worked well for me when I do it.

That's kind of what I do. I pour the wort through a sanitized paint strainer over the bucket and shake out the trub once it clogs. Repeat until all the beer is through, then do it back one more time. It's a good way to aerate the wort, too, imo.

A lot of exposure to the air, but I haven't had an infection to date doing it.

Last batch had 14 ounces of whole kettle hops. Factored in approx .1 gallons of wort loss per ounce and bumped up boil volume and grain bill to compensate.

It's a small price to pay.
:tank:

This might not be a popular choice, and I don't brew IPAs very often, but I just dump everything into a sanitized bucket lined with a sanitized paint strainer bag. Pull the bag out and let all the wort drain out. Either ferment in the bucket or transfer to a carboy. It's worked well for me when I do it.

I used to do this and actually squeeze the sh..t out of it to get almost every drop out.
I use lots of hops in my post-boil hop stand, so I decided to transfer everything into the fermenter and extend the hop stand, so to speak, in the fermenter.
At end of fermentation, with the 5 oz or so dryhops added, the yeast cake is about 2 inches thick.
I loose about a gallon and a half of volume, when racking. I guess that half of that is beer.

Back