dead ringer ipa from nb hop addition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keystoner

Reaction score
can someone clear this up for me? im about to brew the dead ringer ipa from northern brewer and im confused as to how it instructs you to add the hops. here is what is says to do:
-add 1 oz centennial hops and boil for 60 minutes
-add 1 oz centennial hops 20 minutes before the end of the boil
-add 2 oz centennial hops 5 minutes before the end of the boil

does this mean that i add the first ounce and wait 60 minutes before adding the second ounce? or do i add the first ounce and wait 40 minutes? thanks!

can someone clear this up for me? im about to brew the dead ringer ipa from northern brewer and im confused as to how it instructs you to add the hops. here is what is says to do:
-add 1 oz centennial hops and boil for 60 minutes
-add 1 oz centennial hops 20 minutes before the end of the boil
-add 2 oz centennial hops 5 minutes before the end of the boil

does this mean that i add the first ounce and wait 60 minutes before adding the second ounce? or do i add the first ounce and wait 40 minutes? thanks!

Add the first ounce, and set your timer for 60 minutes. When 20 minutes is left on the timer, add the second hops. When 5 minutes is left on the timer, add the final 2 ounces of hops. When 0 remains on the timer, turn off the flame.

yeah add your first hops, and wait 40 minutes:

Basically your 'countdown timer' is set for boiling wort for 60 minutes:
bittering charge at 60 minutes left
flavoring hops at 20 minutes left
aroma hops at 5 minutes left
0 minutes left = Blast-off!!! ...oh, um, Flame Off I mean...

Irish Moss or other fining agents, along with yeast nutrients are added at 15 minutes left of boil.

I've brewed this recipe several times, and I found (for my tastes) that if you split the 5 minute addition to 1oz at 5 min and 1oz at 0 min (flameout), with about 15-20 minutes just sitting there before cooling, it seems to add a little more 'pop' to the hops.

Back