Munich Helles Dead Guy Clone (Extract & AG- see note)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get 33 when I look at Beersmith. For a partial boil, that might be right for calculation, but it seems good when I've tried it. I've read that you can't taste a difference between 5 IBUs, so maybe that's way it tastes ok with this amount of hops.

As far as mash temps, I like to mash this one high, to give the malty taste and higher FG.

I get 33 when I look at Beersmith. For a partial boil, that might be right for calculation, but it seems good when I've tried it. I've read that you can't taste a difference between 5 IBUs, so maybe that's way it tastes ok with this amount of hops.

As far as mash temps, I like to mash this one high, to give the malty taste and higher FG.

Ok, thanks Yooper. I was pluging this in for all grain based on 83% efficiency too, just using your percentages of grains more. I will shoot for somewhere around 33 ibus then. That is if I can get my pacman bottle harvest going.

I do increase the first Perle addition in my version by a bit after doing a side-by-side comparison to the original. I use 1.25 oz @60 instead of 1 ounce, and go a little over .5 oz for the 30 minute addition. I do a partial boil, so I figure that's probably why I had to increase a little to get the same end result. That plus I overshot my OG on the first batch by 6-7 points...

I do increase the first Perle addition in my version by a bit after doing a side-by-side comparison to the original. I use 1.25 oz @60 instead of 1 ounce, and go a little over .5 oz for the 30 minute addition. I do a partial boil, so I figure that's probably why I had to increase a little to get the same end result. That plus I overshot my OG on the first batch by 6-7 points...

I too overshot the gravity. I wonder why.

Ok, thanks Yooper. I was pluging this in for all grain based on 83% efficiency too, just using your percentages of grains more. I will shoot for somewhere around 33 ibus then. That is if I can get my pacman bottle harvest going.

I just washed and harvested 4 pint jars of Pacman from my most first run with it last week. If you can't get the harvest going let me know and I'll gladly send you a jar. The yeast have settled out in 2 days and there's at least a half inch of yeast in each jar.

I just got done listening to the Sunday Brew session from sep '07 where they interviewed John Maier and he mentioned that they use a whole lot of munich in a lot of their beers included the Dead Guy. He said they use 20% munich in Dead Guy.

What do you think this recipe would be like if the munich went from 6.9% to 20%.

You know, even though I mashed this a bit low, ending it up at 1.009 FG, I've had a few glasses now and it's surprisingly sweet. In fact, everyone who drinks it says it's sweet. Not sure why but there's not doubt it's on the malty side, more so than Dead Guy. Because of this I'm not quite to a match as of yet, might try it again in the future.

I just got done listening to the Sunday Brew session from sep '07 where they interviewed John Maier and he mentioned that they use a whole lot of munich in a lot of their beers included the Dead Guy. He said they use 20% munich in Dead Guy.

What do you think this recipe would be like if the munich went from 6.9% to 20%.

I think that would be good. It's malty as it is, though. I really am a big Munich malt fan, so maybe that would be something for me to try next time.

I think that would be good. It's malty as it is, though. I really am a big Munich malt fan, so maybe that would be something for me to try next time.

I was thinking the same thing too but maybe I will email them and see if they can provide any more details but I already have your recipe in the fermentor so it will be a while before I try again..

Thanks again Yooper :mug:

Well, both kegs of this have kicked. Yooper, thanks for sharing a really great recipe. I will be making this again, soon. Likely to look at the increased Munich and adjust my mash temp a little.

I also want to harvest some pacman and do a side by side with the US05. I think it would be a worthy comparison. Didn't really like the WL001 version.

I harvested my Pacman and I'm wondering how it relates to US05 as far as flavor characteristics. I'm actually planning to go the other direction by using Pacman in a IPA I just brewed that I'm brewing again for our trip with friends this summer. I want the recipe to be very close to original but worried that Pacman might not give me that same flavor as US05. Can anyone comment? I have 4 canning jars with 1/2" of nicely washed Pacman yeast that I'd like to use because I have it.

I took a hydro sample of this beer yesterday and man was it good. I can't wait for this one and can see brewing this again soon.

I was thinking about putting some american oak in with it for a few days before I keg it. Has anyone tried that with this recipe?

Thanks for this recipe, Yooper. I brewed up an extract batch with US 05. It took a bit of aging-- about two months in the bottle before the "dead guy'' started coming out in it, but it just keeps getting better. Thanks again.

I would like to try this clone but haven't attempted an AG brew yet. My local shop offers the following ingredients, will these work for this clone?

Qty. 12 - Maris Otter Pale - 1 lb
Qty. 01 - Briess 40L Crystal - 1 lb
Qty. 01 - DWC Cara-Munich - 1 lb
Qty. 01 - DWC Munich - 1 lb
Qty. 01 - Czech Saaz - 1oz Pellet
Qty. 02 - Perle - 1oz Pellet
Qty. 01 - Wyeast American Ale (1056)

If you're up for an AG, sure you can use those ingredients. The extract clone isn't bad, though. It came out really well, and I was happy with it. It'd be a good recipe to do with extract, too.

I'm going to use this as my first attempt at all-grain brewing. I'm using 12 lbs of the Maris Otter Pale Malt, 1 lb of munich, 1/2 lb of Cara, and 1/2 lb of caramel 20L. I'm gonna use 1.5oz of Cascade leaf hops for bittering and 1/2 oz of Williamette for aroma... gonna ferment with WLP001 California Ale Yeast.

I hope all goes well. I bought a grain mill, built my MLT, and think I did my homework, so we'll see how it goes :)

I'm going to use this as my first attempt at all-grain brewing. I'm using 12 lbs of the Maris Otter Pale Malt, 1 lb of munich, 1/2 lb of Cara, and 1/2 lb of caramel 20L. I'm gonna use 1.5oz of Cascade leaf hops for bittering and 1/2 oz of Williamette for aroma... gonna ferment with WLP001 California Ale Yeast.

I hope all goes well. I bought a grain mill, built my MLT, and think I did my homework, so we'll see how it goes :)

Are you using Cascade and Willamette because you have them around and didn't want to get Perle and Saaz or are you just wanting to mix it up a bit? It is going to be quite different with that combination.

Are you using Cascade and Willamette because you have them around and didn't want to get Perle and Saaz or are you just wanting to mix it up a bit? It is going to be quite different with that combination.

Just wanting to mix it up a bit. I had to order everything for this batch and just decided to try something a little different...

I brewed the all grain version today and put it on the yeast cake from a batch of dunkelweizen that I fermented with pacman yeast. It blew the lid off the fermenter within three hours! I've got a blow off tube going into a growler now and I can definately say this is the most vigorous fermentation I have ever seen. It was probably a half gallon or a little more of slurry in that bucket.

I brewed a 10 gal of the all grain version of Yooper's Dead Guy in March.

Thanks Yooper!

I pitched a large starter from a package of Wyeast PacMan. Fermented at 62 degrees F for around 14 days in two 10 gal corneys, 5 gal each. The blow off tubes were from the gas post dipping into a large plastic container filled with water and starsan.

I pressure transferred into 5 gal corneys using CO2 for 2nd conditioning for another 30 days.

I then repeated the transfer into the 'brite tank' corneys for clarification and carbonation.

Man is it good!

I am almost through 5 gals, and thinking I'll have to brew another batch before I run out completely.

Once again, Thanks Yooper!

Just checked my gravity as the air lock pretty much stopped bubbling yesterday. It's at 1.014. I think I'll rack it to the carboy in a couple days and cold condition it the rest of the way. I've got space in my fridge right now. Any recommendations? As a maibock, I would think that lagering it for a while would be helpful.

Just checked my gravity as the air lock pretty much stopped bubbling yesterday. It's at 1.014. I think I'll rack it to the carboy in a couple days and cold condition it the rest of the way. I've got space in my fridge right now. Any recommendations? As a maibock, I would think that lagering it for a while would be helpful.

That would be fine, but make sure it conditions at room temperature a bit first. It's a "bigger" beer and needs the time at room temperature, too.

That would be fine, but make sure it conditions at room temperature a bit first. It's a "bigger" beer and needs the time at room temperature, too.
How much time at room temperature? I got busy with some other things and haven't put it in the carboy yet. I'm thinking about brewing today and plan on using the yeast cake.

Wow, what happened? Somehow it got kegged and it's all gone. That was quick! I'm going to brew ten gallons this weekend but hop it up a little more. I thought the recipe was close but it needs a little more hops.

YooperMon, I just received the AHS Dead Guy Clone kit and they have the mash at 150. Have you tried lower mash temps or have you always been 156-158? That was the only big difference in recipe.

YooperMon, I just received the AHS Dead Guy Clone kit and they have the mash at 150. Have you tried lower mash temps or have you always been 156-158? That was the only big difference in recipe.

I never have mashed lower. Mine is kind of "thick", you know- full bodied and rich. I think a mash temp of 150 would give you a light-medium bodied beer. It might taste great, but I like a fuller mouthfeel in that beer.

The Szamatulskis say to mash at 151. Their recipe is very similar, but in respect of their intellectual property, I won't list the rest of the details here, other to say that the minor differences have been tried by one brewer or another throughout these pages. I like Yooper's idea of mashing higher as I too prefer a maltier beer.

EDIT: PM received on the below. Thanks again Yooper!!!!
----------------------------------------------------------
I brewed the actual kit version produced by Rogue. It turned out great. With that being said, I want to do my second all grain based on Yooper's AG recipe (posted below). However, I don't have any software to run the water amounts and temperatures for my mash/sparge. I am using a cooler type mash tun (big enough for whatever). I only have a pot capable of cooking around 6.5 gallons. If someone could run the numbers for me, I would be very grateful and drink 7 beers in your honor (too include a "one for my homies" spill). Also, has anyone tweaked the recipe, as earlier discussed, to increase the amount of Munich to 20%? I would be interested in that info as well. Thanks all.

S/F,

J8D

Previous Yooper Recipe
12 pounds maris otter
1 pound Cara-Munich
1 pound Munich
1/2 pound crystal 40L

Hops:
1 ounce Perle 60 minutes
.5 ounce perle 30 minutes
.25 ounce perle 5 minutes
.25 ounce saaz 5 minutes

I had to resurrect this thread for a price question.
I purchased the stuff for the extract version of this beer and it cost me $57 for everything, minus the yeast. I purchased 3, 3lb bags of DME and one lb of Crystal 40. 3oz hops and exact quantities of the other two grains. I have not done an extract beer in a while. Is this about the normal price? I know it's a vauge question, but it seems like a lot for a fairly simple beer. Even the kits I used to do were never more than $49. Now I remember why I went AG.

It depends on how long you condition it before bottling. If it's already got a bit of age on it, 3 weeks in the bottle is fine. If not, you'll probably want to go about 4-5 weeks, since it's got a fairly high OG.

Mine started at 1058 and finished at 1020. That's the worst attenuation I've had in some time, but after accidentally mashing at over 160 for the first 25 minutes, not unexpected.

BTW: It still tastes fantastic. I just racked it to the secondary to clear it after 6 weeks in primary. It was pretty much still fermenting (no real bubbles but you could see the wort still moving around) until a week ago. I had enough left over to fill up a two litre bottle and break in my new Carbonater. Worked like a champ.

Mine started at 1058 and finished at 1020. That's the worst attenuation I've had in some time, but after accidentally mashing at over 160 for the first 25 minutes, not unexpected.

BTW: It still tastes fantastic. I just racked it to the secondary to clear it after 6 weeks in primary. It was pretty much still fermenting (no real bubbles but you could see the wort still moving around) until a week ago. I had enough left over to fill up a two litre bottle and break in my new Carbonater. Worked like a champ.

Yeah, it's a malt bomb for sure. I mash high, but not that high! Glad it still tastes great, though! :rockin:

Yooper,

What kind of primary/secondary/conditioning times did you use with your Pacman Dead Guy?

Just wondering, as I used the Szamatulski's 151 mash temp and Pacman fermented at 60F and was down from 1.055 to 1.008 in 6 days. I've had it in secondary in the low 60's for a week and it looks very clear already. I don't think that I've ever had any beer ferment out and clear that quickly. That Pacman is a beast!

I just picked up everything for an extract version of this recipe. I'm super excited to brew it this weekend. I'll post the results but from what it sounds like this should be awesome.:rockin:

Back