DDT 5/29 Memorial Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DD63DED8-2CB4-4BFA-97A1-F2FC0419BE65_zpsekv1c9ju.jpg

Cheers

Just realized this will be my 1000st post... (or essentially what tosh would call "a slow week":p)..

Appropriately it's Memorial Day... so I'll toast my dad, who went ashore on Omaha Beach and now rests in Arlington. Best role model any kid could ever ask for!
DSCF0469_zps41d24320.jpg

Hope everyone is having a great holiday!:) Respect to all of those who wear or have worn the uniform.
IMG_20170529_171919449_zps88vq4ul4.jpg

Just realized this will be my 1000st post... (or essentially what tosh would call "a slow week":p)..

Appropriately it's Memorial Day... so I'll toast my dad, who went ashore on Omaha Beach and now rests in Arlington. Best role model any kid could ever ask for!
DSCF0469_zps41d24320.jpg

Hope everyone is having a great holiday!:) Respect to all of those who wear or have worn the uniform.
IMG_20170529_171919449_zps88vq4ul4.jpg

That is an awesome story. Your dad was a true hero. One Grandpa got a purple heart in WW2 the other one was lucky enough not too be injured. My father was an MP during Vietnam and luckily never left the states.

It seems that we post pictures of the beer we drink everyday in these threads. I think today we can buck the trend. We can share any stories we have of people we knew, or didn't know, that gave their life for the U.S.A.

I'm still working on a growler, so no new pic, but here's a story of a man who graduated from my high school 1 year after me.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130162223

RIP Sgt. Deluzio. Thank you.

It seems that we post pictures of the beer we drink everyday in these threads. I think today we can buck the trend. We can share any stories we have of people we knew, or didn't know, that gave their life for the U.S.A.

I'm still working on a growler, so no new pic, but here's a story of a man who graduated from my high school 1 year after me.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130162223

RIP Sgt. Deluzio. Thank you.
Ok, as ilovestouts already knows, I could fill this page with my dad's story, 3 Bronze Stars (technically a Bronze Star with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters).. five ETO battle stars from Normandy through the Buldge to Germany.... and a recognized liberator at the National Holocaust museum. My dad was beyond a hero...and that's just his service record.

Instead I'll focus on a distant cousin... His name was Luke, his father was a Seal, his uncles Green Berets...all decorated. He was a great kid...before he joined the Navy I led him through hikes in Acadia, he was smart, he also had a great appreciation for life... he loved the park. I have a great memory of hanging out on the deck..watching an electrical storm roar accross Frenchman's Bay...he loved it...the same with the night sky and watching satellites and the International Space Station visible by the naked eye... just a lot wiser than his years.

He was returning from a training detail outside of San Antonio Texas, when a driver coming in the opposite direction crossed the line. Dammit, he wasn't even 23..... Not all heroes die in combat.

IMG_20170529_180359571_zpsjrjw6mpc.jpg

Amazing stories, guys. Grandfather was a WWII vet (he's buried now in the Atlantic County Veterans Cemetery) and Dad served in Vietnam. Fortunately, Pop was around for me until he died; Dad is still snarking and playing games on his iPad. Not everyone they served with was so lucky.

Sharing a pic from my good pal Rob, who is a Navy vet and currently a firefighter in Queens. His caption: "One of the most emotionally powerful moments that I've ever witnessed...To see my brother spending time with his fallen brothers. -- at Section 60, Arlington National Cemetery."

18671783_10155343351572350_3588339746171579028_o.jpg

Drinking this right now.

3ucXVE7.jpg

Cheers, TB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back