DC Group Buy #21

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Note: - As of Buy #19, we have changed how we do things, so read (re-read!) this to make sure you understand the process!

This group buy is open to HBT members who are local to the DC metro area, including MD and VA as well as the district. A limited number of folks in the Charlottesville/Waynesboro/Staunton area may participate as I drive there 6-8 times a year, but you must be willing to wait for my next trip home...

This buy happens about 4-6 times per year. A new thread is posted each time we start a new purchasing round.

Some "info" and "rules" to go over:

* If you want the price list, PM me your email address...I will setup an account on our ordering web site and it will email you a password. If you decide you will not be buying, PLEASE let me know so I can trim your account. Inactive accounts will likely be deleted after some period of time less than a year.
* PAYMENT is via PayPal only! Pay me at the personal email address I send to you via email when the buy is over. Do not use the email address the server uses! Use the pay friend/family option and DO NOT pay via PayPal check! PLEASE put your HBT moniker in the note section so I know who you are. Collating email addresses is a pain! Yes I know some of you well, but there are over 100 people that participate and I am notoriously bad with names, so help me out by using your HBT handle in all communications. If you are not familiar with PayPal make sure you do so before the end of the buy as it does take some time to setup.
* You can pay in advance but I don't encourage this unless you are someone who doesn't check the buy thread ~daily or travel a lot. Remember we can refund you up to 60 days from PayPal and we can always just "pay" you if it goes beyond 60 days.
* We allow splitting of sacks (not most base malts) cuz who keeps 50 pounds of Carafa III in their local storage?
* The pickup location is at 3 Stars brewery in DC; always on a Saturday from 11AM-noon. I need helpers to arrive at 10AM sharp.
* The pickup will occur the Sat. 2-3 weeks after the buy closes, so buy closes Friday night, order goes in Sat. AM, pick up the second Sat. AM at 3 Stars. We will allow LIMITED orders two weeks before. The reason for doing this is it gives 3 Stars 2-3 chances to order and should greatly reduce us not getting something we order.
* If you cannot pick up your grain, you MUST arrange with someone else to do so and let Stonebrewer know who is picking up your grain
* In the past we have had issues with some sacks not showing up or the wrong sacks showing up; be forewarned that this can happen, though we believe the three week rule will eliminate or minimize this
* The price list is on the ordering website and is not to be shared outside this group. Do not post prices in the forum.

* You no longer have to post full sacks or splits on the forum, but if you do post in the forum use a standard format, for example copy and paste the SKU + grain straight off the price list. Something like this:

2 x BRI1004 Briess Pilsen 50 lb
1 x MUN1001 Muntons Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)

10# WEY1031 Weyermann® CaraMunich I® 25 Kg (55 Lb.):

* All full sacks and splits are ordered BY YOU on the new web site. This forum is used to communicate mainly the details of the buy AND what splits are currently available.
* The brewery has growler hours at 1PM; they cannot sell you a growler before that by law. Don't ask. They can however sell cans, I believe...
* The brewery has a small homebrew store; PLEASE snag some hops, yeast, etc. to show your appreciation.

* We always need help with the buy. Please collect plastic grocery bags and donate them to the cause each time you participate. We need 3-4 sets of scales and we need about 6-8 people to come early and help split sacks (10AM). We label every sack, so make sure your name is on it before taking something, and always check in or out with me.

Just like previous years, my homebrew club Baltibrew is organizing and hosting "Chilibrew"! This is an outstanding event, many folks thinks it's the greatest annual event in Baltimore. It consists of a homebrew, a meat chili and and a vegetarian chili competition including crowd and panel judging. All proceeds are donated to good causes. Both competitor and guest tickets can now be purchased. This event will likely sell out. It's a blast and I highly recommend going. While I am not competing, I will have one of my brews on tap at the Baltibrew table. Check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1398988120208793/

Cheers,

Christoph

Available Product Description
45lb Simpsons Peated 55 lb
55lb Weyermann Melanoidin 55 lb
0lb Gambrinus Honey Malt 55 Lb
25lb Dingemans Biscuit (Mr 50) 55 Lb

@bgriff - you added a split for Melanoidin but did not did not take any? Might be a bug in the webpage, but if you want some please review your order.

What do you have in mind for the peated malt? I tried a couple examples of rauchbier recently and enjoyed them, but those used oak and beechwood smoked malts.

AvailableProduct Description
45lbSimpsons Peated 55 lb
55lbWeyermann Melanoidin 55 lb
0lbGambrinus Honey Malt 55 Lb
25lbDingemans Biscuit (Mr 50) 55 Lb

@bgriff - you added a split for Melanoidin but did not did not take any? Might be a bug in the webpage, but if you want some please review your order.

It wasn’t a bug. I wanted to take 5# off my original order and forgot to add 10# back on.

Thanks.

What do you have in mind for the peated malt? I tried a couple examples of rauchbier recently and enjoyed them, but those used oak and beechwood smoked malts.

I am also buying a sack of beechwood smoked to attempt to perfect something like Aecht Shlenkerla Rauchbiers. I really like their doppelbock so I am going to see if I can make something close. Coworker brought back one of everything they make from Bamberg last summer and I have been buying one or two a month since then. Cannot find their Urbock locally, so would also like to attempt that one as well.

For the peated, I brew a clone of Hair of the Dog's Adam which is about 36 pounds of malt (for 5 Gallons!), one pound being peated. I liked it so much I want to keep it on tap at all times. It only uses a trace of peated and I don't taste or smell it in the beer (theirs or my version). That said, I may up the amount until I can just detect it to see if it adds anything to the flavor or aroma that I might like it even more. :mug:

There is one more beer in my brew list that has peated, but I cannot remember which it is...will look through my recipes when I get home tonight...might have been a Scotch Ale.

Cannot find their Urbock locally, so would also like to attempt that one as well.

It looks like the Total Wine in Laurel has the Urbock in stock right now. it’s available to order online for in-store pickup at least.

I’ve started a split for a sack of the Beechwood smoked malt. It would take me years to use the whole thing, but I’m confident that I could easily move a batch or two of such an unusual beer. I’m not sure that everybody will want a second, but almost everyone will be willing to try one.

It looks like the Total Wine in Laurel has the Urbock in stock right now. it’s available to order online for in-store pickup at least.

I’ve started a split for a sack of the Beechwood smoked malt. It would take me years to use the whole thing, but I’m confident that I could easily move a batch or two of such an unusual beer. I’m not sure that everybody will want a second, but almost everyone will be willing to try one.

Coolio! I will check them out! If the split does not close, I will forgo my sack and get on the split...only reason I jumped on a sack was because I thought no one else would be interested! Cheers!

20lb Weyermann Melanoidin 55 lb
15lb Dingemans Biscuit (Mr 50) 55 Lb
35lb Weyermann Beech Smoked 55 lb
30lb Crisp Amber 55 lb
45lb Muntons Black Malt 55 Lb
30lb Crisp Brown 55 lb
35lb Crisp Caramalt 15L 55 lb
30lb Briess 2-Row Caramel 120L 50 lb
30lb Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L 50 lb
30lb Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 50 lb
30lb Briess 2-Row Caramel 80L 50 lb
30lb Crisp Chocolate 55 lb
35lb Muntons Crystal 150 55 lb
30lb Crisp Crystal Light 45L 55 lb
25lb Flaked Barley (Unmalted) 50 lb
25lb Flaked Corn 50 lb
30lb Flaked Oats 50 lb
25lb Briess Pilsen Dry Malt Extract 50 Lb
25lb Briess Victory 50 lb
40lb Avangard Malz Premium Vienna 55 Lb

This isn’t group buy related, but it is DC-area related:

Flying Dog in Frederick is doing a guided tasting of their seasonal beers on Saturday, November 4. Registration is here and spots are $30. They’ve got some other neat courses coming up as well - I’m registered for the real ale course that I’m really looking forward to.

PUFF68T.jpg

I gotta find time to brew again, my taps are mostly dry! The talk of peated and beechwood smoked malt is giving me the itch. The smoked porter in my drop-down is amazing, even better on my nitro tap and never lasts very long. I did recently keg a smokey mild that's been sitting on my massive bacteria blend getting sour for the last year or so. That batch was pale malt I smoked myself on apple and cherry wood, along with a little beechwood malt. It's pretty interesting, but still carbing up.

AvailableProduct Description
45lbSimpsons Peated 55 lb
20lbWeyermann Melanoidin 55 lb
0lbGambrinus Honey Malt 55 Lb
15lbDingemans Biscuit (Mr 50) 55 Lb
35lbWeyermann Beech Smoked 55 lb
30lbCrisp Amber 55 lb
45lbMuntons Black Malt 55 Lb
30lbCrisp Brown 55 lb
35lbCrisp Caramalt 15L 55 lb
30lbBriess 2-Row Caramel 120L 50 lb
30lbBriess 2-Row Caramel 40L 50 lb
30lbBriess 2-Row Caramel 60L 50 lb
30lbBriess 2-Row Caramel 80L 50 lb
30lbCrisp Chocolate 55 lb
35lbMuntons Crystal 150 55 lb
30lbCrisp Crystal Light 45L 55 lb
25lbFlaked Barley (Unmalted) 50 lb
25lbFlaked Corn 50 lb
30lbFlaked Oats 50 lb
25lbBriess Pilsen Dry Malt Extract 50 Lb
25lbBriess Victory 50 lb
40lbAvangard Malz Premium Vienna 55 Lb

Hey Tony, I shot you a DM earlier in the week, would you get back to me when you get a chance? Thanks!

Hey Tony, I shot you a DM earlier in the week, would you get back to me when you get a chance? Thanks!

According to the forum software, he logged in to the forum last on 9/30. Maybe he's on vacation or super busy with work.

According to the forum software, he logged in to the forum last on 9/30. Maybe he's on vacation or super busy with work.

Thanks man. Just trying to figure out if there’s a late-delivery sack of grain sitting around from the last buy.

If anybody is interested in making some cider this fall, Distillery Lane Ciderworks is selling a fresh pressed blend of apple cider for $12/gallon on November 4. They grow a wide variety of apples and this juice will almost certainly be higher in tannins than what you can get at the store, resulting in a more complex beverage.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DLCiderworks/status/922845547127607296

All,

Sorry I have been off the board for a while. I just checked and I am backed up on PMs as well as reading the forum and checking this buy. I will get caught up this week! Still a little jet lagged, so it may take a few days...hope all has been going well in my absence!

Cheers!
T

0lb Dingemans Biscuit (Mr 50) 55 Lb
0lb Briess Victory 50 lb
5lb Briess DME Pilsen Light 50 lb
50lb Briess Pilsen Dry Malt Extract 50 Lb
45lb Weyermann Acidulated 55 lb
45lb Weyermann Pale Rye 55 lb
40lb Avangard Malz Premium Vienna 55 Lb
40lb Weyermann CARAHELL 55 lb
35lb Muntons Black Malt 55 Lb
35lb Avangard Malz Premium Dark Munich 55 Lb
30lb Crisp Amber 55 lb
30lb Muntons Torrefied Wheat 55 lb
25lb Weyermann Beech Smoked 55 lb
25lb Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 50 lb
20lb Crisp Chocolate 55 lb
15lb Crisp Brown 55 lb
10lb Weyermann Melanoidin 55 lb
10lb Flaked Corn 50 lb
10lb Flaked Oats 50 lb

If anybody is interested in making some cider this fall, Distillery Lane Ciderworks is selling a fresh pressed blend of apple cider for $12/gallon on November 4. They grow a wide variety of apples and this juice will almost certainly be higher in tannins than what you can get at the store, resulting in a more complex beverage.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DLCiderworks/status/922845547127607296

$12/gallon!! That's insane.

I head up to Heyser Farms, on New Hampshire Ave, just north of the Intercounty Connector, and buy cider for about $5-6/gallon. Yeah, it's not some special cider maker blend, but it's unpasteurized apple juice, and it works well.

Hiya folks, wanted to pass along some info from a pro brewer friend.

Apparently, Simpson’s is in the process of installing new malt kilns. As a result, BSG is unable to source anything from Simpson’s until sometime early next year. I think that had something to do with the unavailability of Golden Promise for Group Buy #20.

I hope this is helpful!

Hiya folks, wanted to pass along some info from a pro brewer friend.

Apparently, Simpson’s is in the process of installing new malt kilns. As a result, BSG is unable to source anything from Simpson’s until sometime early next year. I️ think that had something to do with the unavailability of Golden Promise for Group Buy #20.

I️ hope this is helpful!

Definitely helpful.

Someone on HBT had noticed a sharp price increase on Simpson's GP recently. This may be the reason. She found Thomas Fawcett GP not a viable alternative, as she claims it's dirty, full of dust and stems. I too prefer Simpsons.

Anyway, I've got a sack of Simpsons GP on order here, we'll see what comes out.

Tony,

Are they able to get Oat Malt? I might be interested in taking 30# if anyone else is interested.

Hey Mike, I've been looking for Oat Malt myself. Only few places stock it and shipping kills the deal, mostly.

I've found Ritebrew.com to be the best source so far, price and shipping wise, very doable for 20-30 pounds. I haven't ordered yet, it's been in my basket for a while, there's always other stuff I like to order with it.

Alternatively, I guess we could order a sack through Maryland Homebrew.

That said, I would be interested in it too if we can get it through here, I'll take the balance of 25#.
The only malster I found for Oat malt is Thomas Fawcett, not sure if our suppliers (BSG/LDC) deal with them.

Hey Mike, I've been looking for Oat Malt myself. Only few places stock it and shipping kills the deal, mostly.

I've found Ritebrew.com to be the best source so far, price and shipping wise, very doable for 20-30 pounds. I haven't ordered yet, it's been in my basket for a while, there's always other stuff I like to order with it.

Alternatively, I guess we could order a sack through Maryland Homebrew.

That said, I would be interested in it too if we can get it through here, I'll take the balance of 25#.
The only malster I found for Oat malt is Thomas Fawcett, not sure if our suppliers (BSG/LDC) deal with them.

Crisp and Simpson sell them too, under the name Malted Oats.

Latest status on the buy. We are about halfway to a close, which might mean between the holidays or after the new year, depending on how things go over the next week or three.

5lb Weyermann Melanoidin 55 lb
5lb Briess DME Pilsen Light 50 lb
10lb Flaked Corn 50 lb
15lb Crisp Brown 55 lb
15lb Avangard Malz Premium Dark Munich 55 Lb
20lb Avangard Malz Premium Vienna 55 Lb
25lb Muntons Torrefied Wheat 55 lb
30lb Crisp Amber 55 lb
45lb Weyermann Pale Rye 55 lb
0lb Flaked Oats 50 lb
0lb Briess Victory 50 lb

0lb Flaked Oats 50 lb

0lb Briess Victory 50 lb

0lb Briess DME Pilsen Light 50 lb

5lb Weyermann Melanoidin 55 lb
10lb Flaked Barley (Unmalted) 50 lb
10lb Flaked Corn 50 lb
15lb Crisp Brown 55 lb
15lb Avangard Malz Premium Dark Munich 55 Lb
20lb Avangard Malz Premium Vienna 55 Lb
25lb Crisp Amber 55 lb
25lb Muntons Crystal 150 55 lb
25lb Muntons Torrefied Wheat 55 lb
30lb Crisp Caramalt 15L 55 lb
30lb Weyermann Pale Rye 55 lb

Hey guys - just joined; this will be my first buy. As a point of clarification, if a split is not fully claimed, is it still purchased and 3 Stars takes the rest for their HBS? Or are all split orders where all 55 lb are not fully claimed simply tossed?

Thanks!

Hey guys - just joined; this will be my first buy. As a point of clarification, if a split is not fully claimed, is it still purchased and 3 Stars takes the rest for their HBS? Or are all split orders where all 55 lb are not fully claimed simply tossed?

Thanks!

If the split isn't fully claimed, it's not ordered. When we get close to the buy closing, there will be a push to get the splits that are close to get closed.

For your holiday shopping pleasure, here is where we stand as of a few minutes ago:

22 Full sacks
08 Closed sacks
30 Sacks taken -> goal is 40
22 Open Splits

Let's close a few more splits and get a couple of more full sacks and I think we order after the New Year. Need about 10 more sacks to close this puppy up. There are a few 5-10-15 lb splits below that should be low hanging fruit to close out. Happy Holidays to all!

Available
Product Description
0lb Weyermann Melanoidin 55 lb

0lb Flaked Barley (Unmalted) 50 lb

0lb Flaked Corn 50 lb

0lb Flaked Oats 50 lb

0lb Briess Victory 50 lb

0lb Briess DME Pilsen Light 50 lb