DC Group Buy #19

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone feels they just missed out on some of the closed splits, I'm sure there's a possibility for some redistribution. Let us know.

Thanks everyone that has paid...saw a lot of activity, but just got home from a week in Williamsburg and have not had a chance to see what's what. I will start that tonight and finish it first thing in the AM. I will get the order to the buyer tonight and we should be set to go in two weeks for the pickup! Cheers all!!

Raising a glass to your dedication and hard work, thanks for putting in the hours to see this order through. Slainte!

I'd take another 5 of the brown malt but I'm having trouble getting that to work on the website. I'll try again later tonight when I can get to a computer but that leaves us with 10 lbs to go.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

The buy is closed so you cannot add or subtract or do anything but view the site now. If you are able to do something, please let us know as that is a bug and we need to fix it.

You should have a couple of emails from the site that detail next steps and how to pay for the stragglers and folks that cannot figure it out. If you cannot still figure it out, email me ASAP at the email address inside the Group 19 Buy Information email (i.e. not to the website email address!!). I may link the website email address to my PayPal in the future if this continues to be a problem...

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!! Please post if you are going to arrive early and help split. Please post if you are going to bring scales or other items to help split. Please post if you can make labels for me. Everyone PLEASE bring bags so we don't have to take our grain home in our pockets! :D

After the site opens again, I will post all the spreadsheets for each buy to the old Google Drive area so people can access them for historical purposes.

I'd take another 5 of the brown malt but I'm having trouble getting that to work on the website. I'll try again later tonight when I can get to a computer but that leaves us with 10 lbs to go.

If you can make this happen, I will try to add it to the buy separately. We lock the site (no adds or deletes) once we close, so you will not be able to do this on the site...it will have to be here and you need to raise it to my attention to get on the order either today or next SUN (IF I can get 3 Stars to add it...it has been more difficult with the new buyer than in the past...).

SPLIT Logistics

Just assisting @stonebrewer with operating the splitting engine...

I'm helping with splits on pick-up day. We need at least 6-8 more people and 3-4 scales. Teams of 2 work best. Please post how you're participating.
As usual, I'm bringing a table, small scale (11# limit), a weighing bucket and scoop.

But... given the huge amount of splits, we'll need tons of bags to put those splits into. There are also a bunch of base malt splits, which means bigger, heftier bags are needed. How about bringing some empty grain bags? Bringing (your own) buckets is great too, but same as with the bags, we need them when we start splitting, at 10 am. If you want to take your buckets back, label them clearly with your username!

As I mentioned before, we need those bags at 10:00 am, when we start splitting.

Now those of you who just come in to pick up, please bring at least the equivalent of bags you're taking, so we can use them next time. That makes sense, yes?

Plastic grocery shopping bags are fine, but unless someone raids Wegmans, most need to be doubled up to hold 5 pounds or more without leaking (e.g., Walmart bags).

Is anyone picking up buckets from Keith this time, if he has them? @BrewSavage has brought them along many times in the past, but he has no orders this time, so we shouldn't expect or impose.

Sorry you weren't able to get that Brown Malt split closed. I would have taken some if I didn't have plenty left from an earlier buy. It's not the same undermodified brown malt they used in the past as a base malt for Browns and Porters. This is potent roasted stuff! A little (7-12%) goes a long way.

Closing certain splits has always been a problem. Especially malts that not many are familiar with, don't spike an interest, are used in smaller quantities, or were split fairly recently (<2-4 years). I wish there was a way to induce a larger interest, and thus with smaller split amounts for each.

To illustrate, I still have 6 pounds of Carafa III Special left from a 7 pound split purchase 2 years ago. Looks like the 10 pounds of Midnight Wheat I just acquired is headed in the same direction... Looking at brewing a Dunkelweiss soon. And a RIS.

The good news is, most malts don't go bad, even after extended storage, as long as they stay cool and dry in well sealed plastic bags with as much air expelled as possible.

Sorry you weren't able to get that Brown Malt split closed. I would have taken some if I didn't have plenty left from an earlier buy. It's not the same undermodified brown malt they used in the past as a base malt for Browns and Porters. This is potent roasted stuff! A little (7-12%) goes a long way.

Closing certain splits has always been a problem. Especially malts that not many are familiar with, don't spike an interest, are used in smaller quantities, or were split fairly recently (<2-4 years). I wish there was a way to induce a larger interest, and thus with smaller split amounts for each.

To illustrate, I still have 6 pounds of Carafa III Special left from a 7 pound split purchase 2 years ago. Looks like the 10 pounds of Midnight Wheat I just acquired is headed in the same direction... Looking at brewing a Dunkelweiss soon. And a RIS.

The good news is, most malts don't go bad, even after extended storage, as long as they stay cool and dry in well sealed plastic bags with as much air expelled as possible.

No problem. I'm not looking for a whole lot of it, so its easy enough to get at a homebrew shop or buy online for a couple dollars more.

I paid a week ago, but the site still says I haven't. Don't know if that is relevant.

Currently I am keeping who has paid and not in a spreadsheet. It is just easier that way. Anyone who has/had not paid was sent an email, so as long as you have no email from me saying pay up now, you should be good. Three people have not paid, one of whom thinks he did but I suspect paid to the group buy email address instead of mine. The other two people I have not heard from...

Currently I am keeping who has paid and not in a spreadsheet. It is just easier that way. Anyone who has/had not paid was sent an email, so as long as you have no email from me saying pay up now, you should be good. Three people have not paid, one of whom thinks he did but I suspect paid to the group buy email address instead of mine. The other two people I have not heard from...

Jeez, there are always a few of those...

I hope these tardy payers don't jeopardize the ordering process, delaying the grain arrival, and causing the pickup date to move. The next Saturday (5/6) is Big Brew.

Tony besides MrFancyPlants, and he corrected that, no one else has sent a payment to the group buy email.

Tony besides MrFancyPlants, and he corrected that, no one else has sent a payment to the group buy email.

He had a friend send the payment, so I missed it. I think we are good except for two, one of which is new and the other has ordered a few times.

I sent the order in and went at risk for the two, so we should still have an on time pickup on the 29th...I might just have extra grain...

Wish I could be there on the 29th. My wife and I are heading to Ann Arbor for my nephew's graduation from Michigan. I am going to try to visit Adventures in Home Brewing while we're there though, so there is that :)

Hoping I can pick up my grain before we leave.

are the midnight wheat and/or DME splits closed?

if stonebrewer is willing to pick up for me, i'd be willing to help out with those. no worries if all is taken, i'm about to move so i certainly don't need these but i'd be willing to throw 'em in the moving van if they're there :mug:

or maybe i'm too late to the party to help out with these...

are the midnight wheat and/or DME splits closed?

if stonebrewer is willing to pick up for me, i'd be willing to help out with those. no worries if all is taken, i'm about to move so i certainly don't need these but i'd be willing to throw 'em in the moving van if they're there :mug:

or maybe i'm too late to the party to help out with these...

zombiepiratemonkey and I closed the Midnight Wheat.
MrFancyPlants closed the last DME.

If you want to take some Midnight Wheat with you, I got plenty to spare.

I took more than I need in order to close the DME split, so I'd be more than willing to part with 10#. I'm not sure how that works out logistically though with payments etc.

That would be done on the side, as a private deal, after the splitting has completed, on pickup day. Money and services are handled between those private parties. :D

DME doesn't go bad when stored dry, in tightly closed zip lock bags. I go through 10-20# a year making starters.

zombiepiratemonkey and I closed the Midnight Wheat.
MrFancyPlants closed the last DME.

If you want to take some Midnight Wheat with you, I got plenty to spare.
I took more than I need in order to close the DME split, so I'd be more than willing to part with 10#. I'm not sure how that works out logistically though with payments etc.
cool, thanks guys. i'll be chatting with stonebrewer before the pickup, i'll let you know if we work something out :mug:

and as IslandLizard pointed out, at this point these would be private side-deals. let's leave stonebrewer outta this :D

I have some Avery 6576 stickers. If someone makes the labels and sends me the files I can print the stickers.

You're awesome! :ban:

Ask @stonebrewer to send you the .csv files he can extract from the website. That should get you the needed information.

Latest posts

Back