DC Group Buy #19

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NOTE: You may want to read all of this post again as some things have changed.

This group buy is open to HBT members who are local to the DC metro area, including MD and VA as well as the district. A limited number of folks in the Charlottesville/Waynesboro/Staunton area may participate as I drive there 6-8 times a year, but you must be willing to wait for my next trip home...

The intent of this buy is to be held on a regular schedule. We do not have a minimum order to make so we can schedule this to happen on a regular timetable and that allows you to plan your buys to the way you brew instead of having to stock up like the old model forced you to. Looks like we are getting in a groove with the buy happening every ~10-12 weeks.

Some "info" and "rules" to go over:

* If you want the price list, PM me your email address...this is the only way it is given out as our supplier has asked we keep it limited to group participants.
* PAYMENT is via PayPal only! Pay three weeks before the buy end, by Friday at midnight. Pay me at the email address I used to send you the link to the sheet. Use the pay friend/family option and DO NOT pay via PayPal check! PLEASE put your HBT moniker in the note section so I know who you are. Collating email addresses is a pain! Yes I know some of you well, but there are over a 100 people that participate and I am notoriously bad with names, so help me out by using your HBT handle in all communications.
* You can pay in advance. I don't encourage this unless you are someone who doesn't check the buy thread ~daily. If you travel a lot like I do, it may make sense for you to pay in advance as well. Remember we can refund you up to 60 days from PayPal and we can always just "pay" you if it goes beyond 60 days.
* We allow splitting of sacks (not most base malts) cuz who keeps 50 pounds of Carafa III in their local storage? Please just post as usual in the forum. Payment is due, paid to Stonebrewer via PayPal, WHEN THE BUY closes. So pay attention as I hate chasing folks down.

* The pickup location is at 3 Stars brewery in DC; always on a Saturday from 11AM-noon.

* NOTE Recent Change: The pickup will occur the Sat. three weeks after the buy closes, so buy closes Friday night, order goes in Sat. AM, pick up the second Sat. AM at 3 Stars. We will allow LIMITED orders two weeks before. The reason for doing this is it gives 3 Stars 3 chances to order and should greatly reduce us not getting something we order.
* Pickup time is 11 AM and ends at 12 or 12:30 AM (TBD), right before they can fill growlers so come prepared to buy from the HBS and get your growler(s) filled!
* If you cannot pick up your grain, you MUST arrange with someone else to do so and let Stonebrewer know who is picking up your grain
* In the past we have had issues with some sacks not showing up or the wrong sacks showing up; be forewarned that this can happen, though we believe the three week rule will eliminate or minimize this
* The price list is given out by email so if you want it PM me with your email; no email, no list, no exceptions
* The price list is private, do not share with others. Have them contact me. Do not discuss pricing on the forum. Do not give out the link.
* When ordering please use a standard format, for example copy and paste the SKU + grain straight off the price list. Something like this:

2 x BRI1004 Briess Pilsen 50 lb
1 x MUN1001 Muntons Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)

10# WEY1031 Weyermann® CaraMunich I® 25 Kg (55 Lb.):

* ...and put it at the bottom of your post, away from text to make it stand out. In this example, the buyer is asking for 3 full sacks and to start a split of CaraMunich, of which he is taking 10 pounds.
* If you are buying splits, please quote the primary buyers post as part of your request post to make it easy for us to see what split you are taking.
* We currently create a very complete set of sheets that we keep on google drive with all the information about a buy. Please check it before asking questions. If it is not up to date, give us some time before posting. We do have real jobs, families, and we also like to brew from time to time...
* The brewery has growler hours at 1PM; they cannot sell you a growler before that by law. Don't ask.
* The brewery has a small homebrew store; PLEASE snag some hops, yeast, etc. to show your appreciation.

Note: We may switch how we do this buy starting with this go around. Petar has built a website for us that I think will be much easier on me, make it less likely I screw up an order, and put you in control of your orders. Stay tuned for more information in the coming weeks!

I just realized I'm getting critically low on base malt and probably should have ordered a couple of sacks in the last order. But I'll make due until the next one. I'll wait for the website to decide which base malts I want, looking forward to using that.

OK, I will post details tonight or tomorrow. It has been a while since I played with the website, so I will have to remind myself how to use it.

OK folks, let's give this a spin. AS you post what you want on here, we will add your account to the website and give you an email to site to go and select your goodies. Might change this up later, but let's start that way and tweak the process as needed. Cheers!

T

Put me down for:

1 x RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb

I'll look for an email invite to the website.

Thanks

Man, I really mistimed my orders, almost out of both of my base malts and we're not even close to the next group buy! Hopefully this next one goes soon. I'll take:

1 x BRI1016 Briess Ashburne Mild 50 lb
1 x 1852C Avangard Malz Premium Pale Ale 55 Lb

1x 1852C Avangard Malz Premium Pale Ale 55 Lb

And then It'd be great to start a few splits:tank:

5# CRI1060 Crisp Chocolate Malt
10# 1935C Briess 2-Row Victory Malt 50 Lb
10# WEY1018 Weyermann Munich Type 2
15# 3205D Flaked Oats
10# 3440C Briess DME Pilsen Light 50lb
10# 3200C Flaked Corn 50 lb
10# CRI1063 Crisp Roasted Barley 25 kg (55 lb)
25# BRI1037 Briess 2-Row Caramel 80L 50 lb
25# CRI1001 Crisp Finest Maris Otter Ale 25 kg (55 lb)
25# WEY1010 Weyermann Floor-Malted Bohemian Pilsner

I'll start with

1x CAS1001 Château Pale Ale 25 Kg (55 lb)

From the splits I'll take:

10# WEY1018 Weyermann Munich Type 2 (klovelace)
20# 3205D Flaked Oats 50 lb (klovelace)

And I'd like to start a split:

20# RAH1009 Rahr Red Wheat 50 lb

Drumroll please!!

The website is live. Everyone that has posted an order has been added to the site, an email has been sent to your registered email address, with a temporary password to get you in.

Please start copying in your orders to get the site populated with your full sacks and splits. Please make sure you check to see if someone has started a split before you add a duplicate. I have not tested to see if Petar has coded for this, so just being cautious.

Please everyone bring a beer to the next buy that Petar is on to show your thanks!!

Right now, the website, registry, etc. is all free. However that is going to change in about 6-8 months at which time we will need to figure out how to pay for it. It isn't going to be a lot, but it won't be zero either. Since we have well over 100 people on this buy, I am thinking if everyone donates a buck or two, that should get us many years of service. Not sure what I will do yet, so if people have any advice, BM with it so I can try to figure out where we go later this year with this.

Alright, get out there and fill the site up with your purchases so we can take this baby on its initial cruise! Cheers and THANKS!! to Petar for his hard work setting this up!!

Site is pretty cool, put my order in. Small nit, my username is wrong there and I don't have a way to update it. zombiemonkeypirate... just make no sense!

This site is sick. Thank you so much for doing this.

I hope it goes well. I've done some testing, but I can only go through so many variations. I would question every order and especially every split, whether the money comes up as they should or if the pounds add up and make sense. It's really tangled with the splits and there is function that people can return what they have claimed if they change their mind, so hopefully it all adds up right. This is ultimate test, so if someone sees something that doesn't add up, please post here or on the website forum or pm me so I can look into it. Cheers!

Our group members in Zymurgy:

So Bigs166 got in the most recent version of Zymurgy for his fantastic bar build! Congrats Sam!!

My copy came in today and lo and behold on the inside cover (mine is a renewal issue so it has a second cover) there is a picture from HomeBrewCon of none other than German_HB_Baltimore and the folks from his homebrew club!

Our buy is representing well folks!! Cheers!

I hope it goes well. I've done some testing, but I can only go through so many variations. I would question every order and especially every split, whether the money comes up as they should or if the pounds add up and make sense. It's really tangled with the splits and there is function that people can return what they have claimed if they change their mind, so hopefully it all adds up right. This is ultimate test, so if someone sees something that doesn't add up, please post here or on the website forum or pm me so I can look into it. Cheers!

It looks good to me so far.

Available Product Description
40lb Crisp Chocolate
45lb Flaked Corn
40lb Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L
30lb Rahr Red Wheat
30lb Weyermann Munich Type 2
30lb Flaked Oats

NOTE: I realize there are other splits and as soon as people enter them into the site I will update this.

Our group members in Zymurgy:

So Bigs166 got in the most recent version of Zymurgy for his fantastic bar build! Congrats Sam!!

My copy came in today and lo and behold on the inside cover (mine is a renewal issue so it has a second cover) there is a picture from HomeBrewCon of none other than German_HB_Baltimore and the folks from his homebrew club!

Our buy is representing well folks!! Cheers!

Thanks a lot dude!!

Site is live and thanks to everyone who has entered their orders in so far. @b000111, @djdixon1995, @alexnova, and @Afrohopster please check your email for the invite that was sent to you, login, change your password, and add your orders so we can be up to date. Ideally people are checking the website first (if you have a login) and then posting on here to ensure others know what's up. I know change is sometimes hard, but let's get cracking and putting your orders into the website. Let me know if you are having issues by posting here. Thanks all!!

Back