DC Area Group Grain Buy #23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bump Bump Bump!! I'm out of base grain as well. Stuck doing a kitchen sink brew this weekend. Get your orders in people!!

Re: Splits re-opening: This happened last time right near the end of the buy and screwed up a bunch of splits (not to mention irritated Tony and added to his workload). This is a good group and I appreciate the work Tony and Peter put in to pulling these bulk buys together and herding the cats. Let's start the new year with a homebrew and get this order out the door.

Gents/Gals, we seem to be going in the wrong direction. I know we're all getting low on grains but removing line items just delays the order. I think we went from ~32 bags to ~28 and now down to 24, not good. I'm personally adjusting recipes and changing the grist from 2-row to pilsner, reducing roasts, substituting crystals, and so forth. Big picture people, can't get the order placed if we can't maintain participation. Just my $.02 but hate to lose this resource (although I have alternatives, I like this group ffs).

I just closed out the carapils again. We're back up to 29 sacks. I'm willing to add another full sack if I need to. How many full sacks do we need to close this out?

Went to buy sack 41 and saw we were back down to 38. Based on how long this has gone on, it may be the last one for a long time. Look out 6 to 9 months in your brew schedule and order accordingly.

Check, planning my 2020 New Year's brew now :tank:

Let's wrap this up people before the snow melts!

If we could move the pickup back to NOVA I'd be in. With traffic it is extremely difficult traveling to/from 3 Stars Brewery.

I do miss everyone. I miss sharing my homebrew, I miss tasting others homebrew and I miss BSing with others at the pickup.

If possible to see the prior 2 group purchases one will see I purchased a LOT. I need to feed my brewery (aka need malt), but the trip is dreadful.

At this point I can add another sack. I think @murphyslaw might be right that some of the older orders might be stale. Perhaps starting over would be a good idea.

At this point I can add another sack. I think @murphyslaw might be right that some of the older orders might be stale. Perhaps starting over would be a good idea.

I think the elephant in the room is that we may not have a person to coordinate the group.

The order can be reset easily, however unless Tony gets back and leads the group buy, or someone else volunteers to run it, the way Tony has been running it for the last 6-7 years, and Stefin before that, we can’t really make an order...

Alright...

I don’t think we have lost the connection at 3 stars...

I think there is someone who works at the hbs there that is on the group buy as well...

@Tobor_8thMan do you want to take over the group buy? I can get you admin privileges...

What does the rest of the group think? What do you guys want to do?

I don’t want to speak over Tony, maybe he’s still in the loop and just caught up with life...

What options do we have here?

Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:
If someone is willing to step up, and three stars is willing to work with us, we might as well go for it. Its not something I can take on, unfortunately.

But I think we should reset the order or we'll end up with a bunch of people not paying or getting stuff they no longer need.

Alright...

I don’t think we have lost the connection at 3 stars...

I think there is someone who works at the hbs there that is on the group buy as well...

@Tobor_8thMan do you want to take over the group buy? I can get you admin privileges...

What does the rest of the group think? What do you guys want to do?

I don’t want to speak over Tony, maybe he’s still in the loop and just caught up with life...

What options do we have here?

Decisions, decisions...

No, sorry, with area traffic 3 Stars is a difficult journey. That's why I'd prefer finding a group purchase in the NOVA area.

Southern Marylander here, everything is a hike for me.. If 3 Stars is willing to (continue) to work with us then I vote for starting a new buy and getting it complete ASAP.

I've volunteered to pick up the torch until Tony returns (sincerely, hope all is well) and have touched base with Peter. I've also started a conversation with the new rep at 3 Stars and explained the situation; I'll post updates as I get them.

I'm reviewing the current order and would like to request that everyone who is committed to purchase to please PM me. I'd like to see where things stand and whether we will need to start fresh or have enough dedicated brewers to go with this order.

Cheers
joe

Quick update, spoke with 3 Stars and they're prepared to order once we're ready. I've only heard from three members, unfortunately, so we may be looking at starting a new group buy and killing #23. Will give it some time and maybe PM some of the regulars, please reach out to anyone you know on the order and have them PM me with a yay or nay.
Thanks
joe

Just heard about the group buy today- I have participated in this one before.
I am happy to place an order if someone will send me log in info.

Ladies and gents, I salute you! I've heard from more than half the brewers on this buy and you're all still up for it. Going to keep the buy open as-is so if anyone needs to add (hopefully not remove, but things happen) then feel free.

I've PM'd everyone who had active orders and am just waiting on the stragglers who, unfortunately, still hold 12+ sacks plus splits. But it's promising, so thanks to everyone for keeping this alive!

Evening update

Thanks everyone for getting back to me so quickly, made the decision to move forward much easier.

I've heard from everyone except b000111, jbartz, and murphyslaw (sorry for calling you out) so removing their items puts us at 34 full sacks with 10lb off the Dingemans Biscuit split and 5lb off the PBW. I'll touch base with 3 Stars and see if we can get an order in next week assuming we're close to 40 sacks. Have a HBC meeting tomorrow and will see if any of the members want to jump on this order.

If anyone has questions, concerns, comments, free beer, etc. feel free to PM me. We will need volunteers for prep and pickup day and I'll send the usual requests once we have a solid date.

Night all, sláinte!
joe

I have responded directly to the DM now, sorry for missing it. I am in still as well if I haven't been evicted from the buy.

My order still shows up on the website and I'd like to keep it.

My coworker had emailed Tony about getting on the group buy but didn't have any luck. I'll just ask him to send me what he wants and I'll add it to my order.

Feel free to make any additions or changes, I haven't removed any items and am still coordinating with the new person at 3 Stars who will handle the order. I put April 6 as a tentative pick up date but that is probably unrealistic.

I'm new-ish to this process so it's hard to say. I've been involved in group buys for the past couple of years at 3 Stars but adding another site exponentially complicates matters. Is there a brewery in NoVA willing to work with the group and assist with bulk orders and pickups?

Personally, I like having a single brewery that supports homebrewers and is willing to work with us on these bulk orders. The current pickup is decidedly not convenient for me but I'm willing to carve out a Saturday morning to pick up grains, have a pint or two, and save doll-hairs per pound in the process.

Just my opinion, in fact I'd like to have multiple wholesale outlets to purchase grains but it is what it is. I'll gladly coordinate multiple buys if you can connect me with a NoVA brewery that will accept our orders.

Latest posts

Back