Date Sugar Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkothecarp

Reaction score
I found this and thought it was interesting:

"Because dates are very high in sugar, they can easily be converted into sugar. To make date sugar, arrange sliced dates on a baking sheet and bake at 450° for 10 to 15 minutes, or until very dry and hard as rocks. Grind or process in a food processor to make sugar."

Thoughts on this in a Belgian beer? Apparently, people use it like brown sugar. However, it doesn't dissolve readily in liquids from what I understand. I wonder if they yeast'll still eat at it?

I buy date sugar from a health food store and use it in a few of my belgians. It has a great flavor and fits well with belgian styles. It has a very belgiany taste. I boil it for 30 minutes and after fermentation there is a little date residue left but it settles out just fine. The yeast eats it up.

Agreed, I had good luck with the store bought stuff (did add to the "Belgian" dark fruit character). I hydrated it with a bit of hot water and added it to the fermenter.

I don't think you'd gain much by making your own date sugar, you can just chop and use the dates as is with fine results.

There is date syrup you can buy at gourmet shops and ethnic stores. Delicious stuff. Almost like D2 with the consistency of thick molasses or caramel.

Back