Specialty IPA: Black IPA Darth Vader - Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tapped my keg of this and it's delicious! Thank you for the recipe can't wait to make it again. Next time I'll up my ibu's a bit cuz that's my preference but as is, it's a great brew. Cheers

I'm going to pick up the grain bill for this today. Will hopefully be brewing it today or tomorrow.
I'm looking forward to the end result.

I'm going to pick up the grain bill for this today. Will hopefully be brewing it today or tomorrow.
I'm looking forward to the end result.

A reminder in case you missed it... Dehusked Carafa...

I never saw that revision when I made mine & it was good but had too much toasted/toffee "ish" flavor.

I just transferred this to the secondary and I made a slight change.

I was able to get some fresh cascade hops locally. I needed to use them, so I decided to dry hop with those and see what happens.

I will report back in a few weeks when it's ready to drink!

Mine looks pretty similar:

12 lb - 2 row
.5 lb - caramel 90L
.5 lb - carafe III
6 oz - chocolate malt

hops are almost identical except I went with Amarillo instead of cascade and I threw in a pound of corn sugar at flame out. Dry hopping with an ounce of amarillo

Love this beer...I'll up the ibu's in my next batch but it was delicious as is.(just cashed my keg)

1410313543831.jpg

I have got to brew this one again soon. The first batch went way too fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have a question about roasted aroma in this recipe: is it fits the style? As i see part of roasted malt is about 6.8% of all malts. In my case it was 5.5% and in has roasted aroma a bit stronger than i though it will be, and as i understad a lot lot stronger than BJCP discribes this style< as BJCP says: Roast character ranges from subtle to medium. Black malt is acceptable at low levels, but should
not be astringent. Intense ashy, burnt character is not appropriate.
Any suggestions?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411501883.840842.jpg
Just poured my first one. This is an excellent beer. It's just confusing for my brain. I see dark beer and think thick and heavy, but it's actually quite light!

This beer was awesome! It did not last long at my house. SWMBO has directed another batch this weekend! Thanks for this!

Brewing this extract today with a few changes
6.6 lbs of lme 1.5 lbs dme Bavarian wheat I had sitting around Also using the yeast I harvested from bells two hearted
And a 90 minute boil

Brewed this earlier this winter (extract) with only a few small substitutions to the grain bill (I think some of the malts are called different things by different maltsters... I used an online grain substitution chart). Fermented with US-05.

Turned. out. awesome. One of my best beers, love it, will brew it again.

Drinking my hydrometer sample now
1.011 OG was a little off 1.068
Been in primary a week
Guess the bells yeast has done well
I dryhopped today and either sat or Sunday I'll cold crash then keg
I know you guys like waiting but I don't wanna lose any hoppiness
It's delicious

I picked up the ingredients for a 5.5G all grain batch of this recipe today. I caught the note at the bottom of the thread where the O.P. mentioned using Kolsch yeast instead of US-05. That comment he made about suspecting that many of Widmer's beers may be made with that yeast really got me thinking! I must be one of them Cloners... I have been trying to clone a drop top amber and a Brrrr lately so would be interested in trying this yeast (Wyeast 2565) in future batches. Begun the clone war has...

Flame on! Have a 7 Gal. pre boil volume and a 1.046 gravity. It's black man... really black! (silhouette sort of looks like George Washington huh? LOL)

I found a few 22oz bottles of Widmer Pitch Black IPA on the store shelf the other day and bought them... @ over $8 a bottle, yikes! If this clone is half as good as the store bought bottle is I will be very happy ( ;

IMG_20150124_132951.jpg

Has the original recipe been updated at all? Or is it still up to date?

Is everyone still brewing this based off of the recipe in post #1 ?

I brewed a version of this with some hops and malts subbed out. Its been in the primary for a few days not with a belgian strain to ferment. If it's successful, I'll post the recipe I used! Thanks for sharing.

Popped the top on a few bottles tonight and I have to say this is delicious! It's only been two weeks in the bottle but already good to drink. Great recipe man!

I bought all of my hops and yeast for this recipe. I have to order the Carafa II special and the Crystal 10L. Should hopefully be brewing this next weekend.

Never had the Widmer product that is the a clone of. How similar to the Founder Dark Penance is this recipe? Dark Penance is an Imperial Black IPA
with Chinook, Centennial and Midnight Wheat, Crystal malts
8.9% ABV, 100 IBUs

I just tried one the other night, and I think I will try and clone it at some point.

Dark penance is a great black ipa. I was very happy with that beer. Haven't brewed this one yet but if it is similar I would love to brew this!

I have a beer fermenting right now. Can't remember if it is on us05 or s04 though. I would love to pitch this on top of it though. Since I don't know yeasts, what do the experts think?

I've had the AG version fermenting for 3 weeks on Wyeast 2565 Kolsch. That stuff has a really active fermentation! I was cleaning up the air lock for days!!!
Anyways, after 3 weeks it's finally starting slowing way down so I thought I would check on it. Looks like my gravity is down to 1.013 or 1.014 from an O.G. of 1.070, it still has just a hint of sweetness left in it so I think I will let it sit another week. Darn! I was hoping I could add those dry hops in today... Oh well, it takes patience to brew sometimes :mug:

IMG_20150216_123444.jpg

2883fk.jpg

Darth Vader (Cascadian Dark Ale), 5.5 gal AG

12.0 lbs (5.5 kg) 2-row pale
1.0 lbs (0.45 kg) crystal 10L
1.0 lbs (0.45 kg) Carafa II Special
0.5 lbs. (0.22 kg) special roast

1 oz. (28 g) Centennial 60 min.
1 oz. (28 g) Cascade 45 min.
1 oz. (28 g) Willamette 15 min.
1 oz. (28 g) Cascade 0 min
1 oz. (28 g) Cascade dry hop

1 tsp. Irish Moss

Yeast: US-05

Mash: 152*F (66.7*C), 60 min

Efficiency: 72%

Note: This beer was my attempt to clone Widmer Brothers W'10 Pitch Black IPA , only for convenience I used Fermentis US-05 yeast instead of German Ale (Kolsch) yeast wich I believe Widmer Brothers are using in most of their brews.

Here's my attempt at brewing this recipe. Went from 1.070 down to 1.012 over 6 weeks of fermentation. I used Wyeast 2565 Kolsch and ended up with a STRONG a$$ beer with 7.5% ABV! This recipe is killer... I will be :drunk: soon LOL.

Just a side note of thanks to Scooby_Brew for recommending the Kolsch strain of yeast. I have been experimenting with cloning some other Widmer styles lately. I have also been harvesting some yeast from store bought bottles of Widmer brew and I must say the Kolsch yeast does a very good job of replicating what Widmer uses commercially. Taste/flavor is spot on as compared to the originals and I noticed the aroma during fermentation is almost identical as well. Not very scientific I know... but just my observations ( ;

Very well done Scooby_Brew!

IMG_20150403_185400.jpg

Thanks to Scooby_Brew for putting the recipe up. This is a good beer. I did a extract of this and it turned out well. I will have to make this one again but will do AG this time. 1.062 down to 1.017 ABV was 7.5%
9.15 lbs Briess Munich Liquid
1 lb Briess Midnight Wheat Malt
1 lb Briess Caramel 10L Malt
1 lb Briess Special Roast Malt
2 oz Centennial @60
1 oz Centennial @45
1 oz Willamette @15
1 oz Cascade end of boil
1 oz Cascade dry hop(7days)
US-05 yeast

Well I added some more black to this and a little of this here and there and now it tastes like a stout
Went from 1.084 to 1.026 and it's stuck there (3rd week)
Racked to secondary
Any suggestions?
I'm thinking about dry hopping today and leaving it as an India stout ale
My friend wanted a stout and I don't like stouts so I was trying to make this for him to bring him over from the dark side
But this might be what he wanted
I think the **** I added pushed it over the abyss
Last time I made it it was fine to me
Looked back and tasted light

Just did the extract method from the original post. I wasn't able to get 8 lb. liquid malt, my local beer shop sells 7 lbs. so i picked up 15 oz. of dry extract to substitute. I also you used white labs American Ale yeast. It smelled amazing and had OG of 1.066.

Cant wait for this one to finish, this is my 3rd batch and so far the first two have been great im sure this one is going to turn out amazing. The initial smell and taste was sweet-malty(but once ferments will be great and mellow out) but had a strong hops taste to level it out.. I think this will be the perfect balance for my brew buddy (My dad). Im a hop lover and he is a malt lover. But he does like a hoppy beer now and again.

Thanks to Scooby_Brew for putting the recipe up. This is a good beer. I did a extract of this and it turned out well. I will have to make this one again but will do AG this time. 1.062 down to 1.017 ABV was 7.5%
9.15 lbs Briess Munich Liquid
1 lb Briess Midnight Wheat Malt
1 lb Briess Caramel 10L Malt
1 lb Briess Special Roast Malt
2 oz Centennial @60
1 oz Centennial @45
1 oz Willamette @15
1 oz Cascade end of boil
1 oz Cascade dry hop(7days)
US-05 yeast

Hey just curious on the dry hop(7 days) does that mean dry hop on the 7th day into the secondary ferment and how long 48hrs? , or dry hop for 7 days on day 1 of the secondary ferment. I can't seem to figure it out when majority post this way.

Hey just curious on the dry hop(7 days) does that mean dry hop on the 7th day into the secondary ferment and how long 48hrs? , or dry hop for 7 days on day 1 of the secondary ferment. I can't seem to figure it out when majority post this way.

After primary fermentation(14 days) I moved beer to secondary for dry hop for 7 days

As blackice says.
It's worthy to consider not moving to a secondary at all.
The move introduces oxidation to the beer, so if you aren't reusing the yeast, you might as well just dry hop in the primary fermentation vessel.
Leave that for 7 days with your dry hop addition and then into your bottleing bucket or keg... Food for thought :)

I brewed this recipe last weekend; 2nd batch ive done. It was all grain (i just straight to all grain).I ended up with just a hair over 5 gallons. Brew store didnt have carafa II so the guy said to use half carafa 1 and carafa 3.

I have some questions, that i need help with:
My OG is 1.054-55 (recipe says its supposed to be 1.066). What does that mean? Session black IPA? I had issues trying to keep the hydrometer off the wall of the tester, and there was all sorts of crap in the wort. so im not sure if that had something to do with it. Hell, im not even sure i am using it right... I dont think i held the sparge water in the mash tun for long enough, which would also explain my low OG, correct? I am having trouble understanding how much water to sparge and for how long, currently trying to better understand it all.

I also have questions about dry hopping: when do i add them? how long do they stay in there for? Do i need a nylon hop bag for pellets? do you do it in primary or secondary? (yes, i know there is no provisions for secondary in this recipe). Do you guys reuse sanitized nylon hop bags? ive clean and sanitized mine, but its now green in color.

Which brings me to my next questions: why is it a 30 day primary? out of all of the recipes ive seen on here, i do not ever recall a 30 day primay. Could the beer benefit from doing say 21 in primary and another 14 in secondary?

Also, before I forget. Brew store guy said to pitch 2 smack packs of 1056, so I did.

yes, i am a complete rookie. please take it easy on me.
thank you in advance.

I add dry hops right into the fermentor. I use a sanitized bag so they get left behind when I rack the beer

21 day primary and 14 day secondary is absurd. I never do secondaries but I would stress to NEVER secondary and IPA. The transfer will oxidize the beer and strip the hop aroma, especially since you're a rookie at doing this. I would primary it for 10 days. Dry hop it and take a gravity reading. If at 2 weeks its still at the same FG, you're good to go. The longer primary would actually hurt the beer IMO since the hops will fade

Back