Darrell McCall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've often said that I don't like country music! And I don't. At least, I don't like the "country music" now on the radio.

I grew up going everywhere with my parents- seeing Faron Young, Hank Snow, Roy Acuff, etc at the Grand Ole Opry, and listening to Patsy Cline and Hank Williams on my parent's mono-stereo.

I always liked Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings.

Last weekend, we went to the Fulton (Texas) Oysterfest with some friends and saw a guy I thought I had never heard of, Darrell McCall.

DSCF5528.jpg

Once he starting singing, I knew right away who he was and remembered a song from the mid 70's he did with Willie Nelson called "Lilly Dale". The greatest thing- he sang Willie's part too, with a great mimic. He held his nose and did a perfect imitation of Willie's voice for that verse.

We had a great time, loved the music, and starting talking about the differences in country music then vs. now. Maybe it's because I grew up listening to the "country-western" stuff that I always loved it but consider today's "country" music pop fluff that actually hurts me to listen to.

Darrell McCall has a great baritone voice that I remembered all these years, without even remembering his name.

My father used to tell me.... There's only two kinds of music... Country & Western!

I like some of the old stuff, but I myself do like a lot of todays cross-over artists.

Nothing wrong with liking what you like. I personally have an open ear for all types of music. There are songs I like in every genre, from Avril to ZZ top and Yngwie Malmstein in the middle.

I don't let my wife drive because she puts that crap on the radio. I'll listen to the old "outlaw" country, but anything else sucks and we go back and forth about it all the time. She's loves it... ugh ;)

>"...so, what kind of music do you usually have here at the Country Bunker?"

>"we got both kinds...Country and Western!"

Look up I'm pretty good at drinking beer. I don't recall who sings it. Parents love country, I'm more of a steevie ray Vaughn kinda guy.

Almost forgot a bad part is the bud light line...he should have said something good. But I guess it's what most people can relate to.

not a country fan myself but lee greenwood singing God Bless The USA at a sarah palin rally was pretty moving. i dont listin to toby keth but but he has been vocal in ways that made me want to buy his cd's to show support

Back