Dark Lord Day 2012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darklord Day 2012 will be on Saturday, April 28th. If you are planning on attending, we have a few suggestions (and some firm rules).

A ticket will be required for entry to Darklord Day. Please do not make travel plans until you have a ticket. Ticket sales will be announced soon.

Once again, the Munster Police Department will enforce traffic flow and loitering (again, no RVs will be allowed in the industrial Park).

Darklord Day is a 21 and over event.

Pets will not be permitted.

Coolers, furniture, tents, grills etc… will not be permitted. If you want to bring a couple beers to trade or sample, that’s great within reason.

Parking is not provided by the brewery. Please carpool and designate a driver.

Darklord day is cash only. ATMs will be available on site.

Please respect our town and neighbors. We want to continue to hold a safe and fun event in the years to come and we can only do it with your help.

Please follow us on our blog, Facebook or Twitter for the latest info as we release it.

Definitely sold out quickly.

I'm in group C, which is always tricky because i still need to be able to walk at 5pm in order to get my beer!

sold out very quick! I didn't think I was going to get any tickets, none of my friends did. I was able to get two in group B though. Woot!

We want to figure out how to orchestrate a meetup at Dark Lord Day this year?

Luckily I got two for group B. Anyone know of any other good beer locations (bars, etc.) in the area? I have non ticket holding friends who want to take the trip.

clopez0,

There's a bar not far away called Beer Geeks with a great selection of beers... You need a ticket to get onto the 3F grounds proper and to buy Dark Lord, and expect long lines, but you're not on their property for a fair portion of the wait.

I lucked into four tickets this year (bought them online, just like everyone else) and yes, they're all accounted for now... looking forward to a great time as always...! I bought group C tickets and will get there plenty early. Look for me, I'll be the guy with the great big grin on his face. ;)

Here... meet the kids...

7154-my-current-stash-dark-lord-including-2007-2009-2010-2011-3-bottles-15th-anniv-baller-stout-conquistador-de-muerte-porto.jpg

Nice, see you have some 2008 there :) Good year. The 2009 wasn't nearly as good.

BTW they're doing local ticket sales today in about an hour if you are close. Pretty cool of them to help out the locals with a few tickets.

scored 2 tickets for group A…Never been. I was shut out on tickets last year. Artimus would you say 6 am is early enough to get a good place in line? btw nice pic

I got tix for group A. Was thinking of arriving around 8am. What should I expect as far as wait time for bombers? Do they have it on draft to drink while we wait? Never been obviously. Any previous experienced patron's advice appreciated.

It was cool of them to sell some locally, and yet some dousche from canada is bitching about not having fix, and selling some locally. some people are never happy.

I got tickets for group A, excited going to be my first time going. Whats your guys's recommendations for what time to arrive there and everything? They said no coolers, I was thinking about taking a book bag for the same purpose think they would say something?

Conpewter,

Thanks for your posting. Actually, about the time you posted your note about the tix going on sale I was in the process of breaking land speed records getting over the 3F, having seen the tweet as I sat down for my morning "constitutional" right around at 8 o'clock. A quick explanation to SWMBO and a pair of pants and I was on my way!

When I got there about 100 people were already lined up (the tweet went out just after 7am I believe, and I'm only about 5 minutes away, as it is), the weather was fantastic, and everyone, as you might guess, was in pretty good spirits.

Managed to pick up the two puppies below and a couple tickets for a couple friends.

They had four barrel-aged brews for purchase: the Behemoth barley wine, and standard, cherry and plum versions of the Alpha Klaus porter.

Kudos to 3F for considering the loyal locals, as many were frozen out during the online sales. Dark Lord Day is always a blast, but it's encouraging to know that these folks are also pretty decent when sober as well. ;)

This photo taken just as the sales started...
7162-line-three-floyds-person-ticket-sales-3-18-12-many-more-folks-behind.jpg

This photo of the two Three Floyds barrel-aged beers I scored today...
7163-my-two-scores-besides-dld-tickets-2012-person-ticket-sales.jpg

RE: when to show up

Some of this is just my opinion, and if things turn out differently don't blame me, but this is all how it's been going lately. I think when you "need" to show up is totally up to you. Although I don't recall seeing it in writing any place this year, a "golden ticket" usually guarantees you an allotment of Dark Lord. I'm sure that's the case this year as well. (They just don't necessarily tell you what the allotment is going to be too far in advance. It's been four bottles in recent years, and I recall it was six back in 2007. Expect four this year, I'd think.)

Anyway, the point is, if you have the ticket, you'll get the beer. I'm sure you're already aware, but they have three "group" times - A from 10am to noon, B from 1 to 3pm, and C from 5 to 7pm. If you're in A, you can get in line as early as you want, but they won't let the line start moving until close to or at 10 am. So you can wait in line early and not move, or you can get in the line later and move, but be in a longer line. Also, if you have an A ticket, there's nothing that precludes you from getting into the B or C groups... I believe they just try to keep the later groups from buying earlier as a method of crowd/line control.

For my own part, I have C tickets, and I'll be there early, but won't hit the line until it looks like it's moving and hopefully getting shorter. As I mentioned in an earlier post, a fair portion of the line you'll be in regardless of the group will not be on the 3F property. It's always been an outstanding time, but my biggest fear is always that something stupid will happen and the city will shut down future events. People bring homebrew to share... there's tons of sampling going on, and people from far flung areas should definitely bring some local beer to share and trade. That's a big part of what makes this an amazing event, and I sampled the BEST homebrew I've ever had at last year's event.

dshay,
The cooler restriction thing is for their property. There's pretty limited space, and in the past people have camped out and unintentionally created some pretty major roadblocks with coolers and chairs and whatnot on the grounds. Pretty sure that's why they've banned that stuff. FWIW, we had backpacks for the XV anniv party and it worked out well.

I did manage to get some of the barrel aged beer today. Showed up late but it least it was worth it. Managed to get the Alpha Klaus cherry and plum barrel aged bottles. I already have a pair of tickets so I wasn't too disappointed.

Just throwing it out there - I managed to score tickets and a room at the Hampton Inn.

I'll be bringing some special beers from the cellar, and I'll gladly share a pour with anyone! I'm trying to rack up my beer karma points on DLD, haha

dshay,
The cooler restriction thing is for their property. There's pretty limited space, and in the past people have camped out and unintentionally created some pretty major roadblocks with coolers and chairs and whatnot on the grounds. Pretty sure that's why they've banned that stuff. FWIW, we had backpacks for the XV anniv party and it worked out well.

Thanks, that is most likely what I figured. That the whole cooler and chair thing was to provide more space for everyone. I will most likely be bringing a book bag to store the few beers I bring and some food.

Thanks for the info,

Cheers :mug:

Too bad people can't just let people buy them at normal prices so all could go.

Hate to say it, but even without the ebay people not everyone could go. This is a highly popular event, there's no way everyone could go.

But I agree that it's lame that people are selling these on ebay for outrageous prices. Though, people seem to be paying for'em...

Not sure if everyone else is interested in meeting up at the event but I would be. Since I know we don't want to publicly post phone numbers, I was thinking of either:

Time and place to meet near/at the brewery. Like across the street from it, certain parking lot, pond etc.

Google doc for phone numbers that is shared only with those requesting so here in the thread.

We got 4 tickets as well. One set in group A, one set in group B.

Anyone with either of those want to trade? I want all four tickets in one group, would prefer to trade the group A for Bs.

How did you get 4 tickets? Were you able to check out with 4 in the basket or did you have to buy twice? (I was surprised I was even able to get my 2, very difficult)

Also... I'd trade my group B for group A but not sure how to make the trade without risk.

I'm local and I've never bothered to try for tickets. I enjoy 3 floyds, but most of their beers lack balance.shock and awe to the palate.

How did you get 4 tickets? Were you able to check out with 4 in the basket or did you have to buy twice? (I was surprised I was even able to get my 2, very difficult)

I got a set, and my brother-in-law got a set. We were both on at 12 and yes, all tickets are spoken for and will be used by craft beer lovers.

Also... I'd trade my group B for group A but not sure how to make the trade without risk.

We would do the trade in person at Dark Lord Day itself, maybe share a beer or two to boot :mug:

I bought 2 and my wife bought 2. 2 are for us and 2 are for my friend (it's on his birthday)

Anyone else have a room at the Hampton Inn right by FFF? I have a room booked on Friday and Saturday.

I would love to share any of the wonderful beers I'll be bringing to anyone on Friday night!

I forgot about the hampton! Why don't they post that on their website!? I have a room for saturday at the courtyard marriot. anyone want to split the cost of a room friday let me know, me and my wife…we plan on getting in line early..

Back