Dark Lord Day 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any body have pictures from DL DAY?
photo-17.jpg

One of the first things I saw when I got there was this fella walking out holding his case of DL by one hand. Of course the bottom blows out and a bottle hits the ground and shatters. He dropped to his knees and started licking it, which I tried to get a photo of but my phone is slow...that's him in the upper left. But right after this picture he picked the case up by one hand AGAIN. There went the rest of his bottles...right on the ground. He stormed off leaving a trail of profanity and my buddy went over and checked the box and there was still one good bottle in it. By then he was long gone, so free bottle for my buddy.

photo-17.jpg

One of the first things I saw when I got there was this fella walking out holding his case of DL by one hand. Of course the bottom blows out and a bottle hits the ground and shatters. He dropped to his knees and started licking it, which I tried to get a photo of but my phone is slow...that's him in the upper left. But right after this picture he picked the case up by one hand AGAIN. There went the rest of his bottles...right on the ground. He stormed off leaving a trail of profanity and my buddy went over and checked the box and there was still one good bottle in it. By then he was long gone, so free bottle for my buddy.

I saw this too. Poor guy. I was carrying mine close to my chest with two hands for safety, but still I would've been pissed. The box failing was probably from a bad tape job by 3F.

When I got my bottles they were telling everyone to carry the box by the bottom. I transferred mine to my bag with padding, long walk back to my car. Once I got to my car though there were lots of spots open near the brewery so I drove closer, took a milk crate and collected some nice 22 oz bottles to re-use :)

I saw this too. Poor guy. I was carrying mine close to my chest with two hands for safety, but still I would've been pissed. The box failing was probably from a bad tape job by 3F.

I was in line right there when it happened. It was a sad sight.

Here's one of me holding the Gumballhead Cat

IMG00195.jpg

The Beer from the corny keg that I had while waiting in line
IMG00192.jpg

The statue outside the brewery
IMG00197.jpg

Did you guys see "The Dude" while there? That was pretty amusing. Anyone else try the Dark Lord '08 w/ vanilla aged on oak? I just can't say enough bout that one, I loved it!

That was VERY tasty. I wanted to stay, but feared the wrath of the wife if I would have. Good time.

Conpewter, what time did you get in line? I got there a little before 9:30 and was in the cauldesac.

That was VERY tasty. I wanted to stay, but feared the wrath of the wife if I would have. Good time.

Conpewter, what time did you get in line? I got there a little before 9:30 and was in the cauldesac.

I got in line around 3:15 pm Since I had tickets I was guaranteed to get bottles until 6 pm. I got in line near the brick wall, probably 10 minutes waiting. I had been there since 11 but was in line for the samples and then stayed in line for hours to get into the brewpub.

The box failing was probably from a bad tape job by 3F.
Maybe, but either way he was carrying it with one hand. Those boxes were made up of two thing...cardboard and tape. Neither of which I trust $60 worth the beer with.

I got in line around 3:15 pm Since I had tickets I was guaranteed to get bottles until 6 pm. I got in line near the brick wall, probably 10 minutes waiting. I had been there since 11 but was in line for the samples and then stayed in line for hours to get into the brewpub.
We did this same thing...just hung out and drank beer all day. Then when the line died down around 4 we jumped in and had our beer within 10 min.

I must say I am very jealous of all those who got to make it to DLD and try the beer. Next year I am going to try to sneak a trip in if classes cooperate...

That was me.

Conpewter: Was it a blueberry porter? I had one of those from someone walking around.

That was me.

Conpewter: Was it a blueberry porter? I had one of those from someone walking around.

No, my black pearl porter (original recipe by biermuncher). There was someone from "The Inebriati" (spelled something like that) walking around handing out their card and samples. Apparently a homebrew club in the west suburbs.

Here's a few pics.

img0327s.jpg

img0334.jpg

img0342q.jpg

Spent several hours in line but it was a blast anyway. Very relaxed atmosphere with many people sharing different brews. It was my first year and I didn't know what to expect so it was a learning experience as well . Next year will be better thought out for sure. Along the curb people were lining up empty bottles from all over.There must of been 30 -40 different bottles. I meant to get a pic but forgot.

Here's a few pics.

img0327s.jpg

img0334.jpg

img0342q.jpg

Spent several hours in line but it was a blast anyway. Very relaxed atmosphere with many people sharing different brews. It was my first year and I didn't know what to expect so it was a learning experience as well . Next year will be better thought out for sure. Along the curb people were lining up empty bottles from all over.There must of been 30 -40 different bottles. I meant to get a pic but forgot.

that picture of the last guy in the kilt is one of the guys from Free The Hops, the Alabama crew dedicated to getting their crazy beer laws modified. His name on Beer Advocate and Rate Beer is Uncle Jedi, good guy and his crew was handing out samples of Olde Towne Hefeweizen and Good People Oatmeal Stout both of which were very impressive.

Anyway had a great time, got some great feedback on my homebrew from B.O.S.S. (Brewers of South Suburbia ?) and the Inebriati homebrew club guy with the cardomon beer. Traded 2 bottles of 09 dark lord for an 08 and an 07 plus got some Pliny the Elder for some New Glarus beers. All in all a great day, next year maybe name tags so HBT members can say hey.

Cheers!

If you registered ahead of time (St. Pattys day) you could get 2 tickets, that allowed you to buy 8 bottles total, that's it. The bottles were $15 each. I've seen them selling for as low as $40 on craigslist, ebay as well.

Edit: well if you stood in line after everyone with tickets got a bottle I think they did sell some to people without tickets, but I didn't stay that long so I don't know how many they had left after ticketholders go theirs.

Yeah shelling out $120 for eight bottles of any beer is a bit much for me, but it really is a good beer. I plan on aging them for at least 6 months before I open one. After that I may ebay one or two to try and recoup some of the cost. I'm thinking about setting 2 down for a few years, collect some other Dark Lord and have a bit of a vertical tasting.

Im going next year just to flip a profit...
Just make sure you get a liquor license. The jamokes trying to sell these on ebay and CL might get a knock on their doors from some guys in dark suits and sunglasses soon. Besides, $40.00 a bottle is just crazy!:rolleyes:

Ah good point. I probably won't do it then, it is nice to have though!

P.S. Gotta keep some for sure until I can brew it and use it as a comparison.

Ah good point. I probably won't do it then, it is nice to have though!

P.S. Gotta keep some for sure until I can brew it and use it as a comparison.
If you need to off load one we could work something out :cross:

Just make sure you get a liquor license. The jamokes trying to sell these on ebay and CL might get a knock on their doors from some guys in dark suits and sunglasses soon. Besides, $40.00 a bottle is just crazy!:rolleyes:

All you have to say is that you are selling the bottle as a collectible item and not the contents. That how they get away with selling the SA Utopias online. You do not know what the contents are and recommend not drinking them.

All you have to say is that you are selling the bottle as a collectible item and not the contents. That how they get away with selling the SA Utopias online. You do not know what the contents are and recommend not drinking them.

Hence rule number 2 on the above link # The bottle has not been opened, but its contents are not meant for consumption.

I had a girl come up to me after asking someone that worked there where the beer booths were set up trying to sell me some for $30.00 a bottle.She said her and her friends had ten tickets between them. On one hand it pisses me off that people are buying it just to turn a quick profit but on the other hand I can see some people keeping some and trying to recoup some of their cost as even at $15.00 it is somewhat steep.You really can't blame FFF though. Simple economics really.You know supply and demand. I just hope everyone there that wanted to buy it got a chance to get some.

Come on guys, honestly selling it for those crazy prices that are being charged on Ebay and Craigslist? First of all it is against the wishes of the 3Floyds crew who got pissed about the auctioning of Golden Tickets. More importantly we should be getting these beers for the love or enjoyment of the beer / supporting the craft beer community. Trading a Dark Lord through a reputable beer trading site (RB , BA ) for a beer you could not otherwise get would be a much better way to share this great beer.

I understand that they are expensive, but trying to "recoup your losses" is a pretty crappy way of looking at getting the opportunity to sample this great beer. I would think that the homebrew community would be against profiting of this beer like it was any other commodity.

Just my .02

^ Well said and point taken. Don't get me wrong I'm not a big fan of gouging people to help pay for something I want.I'm a music fan too and I've seen the same thing happen with limited cd releases by bands and that pisses me off too.Maybe I'm way off base and $15.00 isn't a lot for making such a big beer.At any rate for some people it's all about the Benjamins baby.That will never go away.

Yes it is a great beer, but it is a beer none the less. Which #1 puts limits on who can sell it (which is the only reason individuals shouldn't sell it) and #2 It is just a beer! Not some sort of object to worship. There are better beers out there (not many, but a few). Trading is a good idea, I may be able to bolster my collection of Stone's vertical epic, that would be sweet!

I am very glad I got the opportunity to go to this event, I'll be happy to have these bottles to taste when they have had time to mature. They'll also be great for "research" to try to brew something this big.

The event itself was a lot of fun, I hope to meet more of you all next year at there. I really liked getting in the brew-pub. I got to try the DL '08 vanilla/bourbon barrel, I had some dreadnought (awesome), tried the Calumet Queen (tasty as well). It was a fairly laid back atmosphere, good times.

Buying them for the sole reason to sell them for higher prices is dumb, but will be done just as any other limited quantity product. SA Utopias is a fine example of price gouging in the name of rarity IMO. Some people might think $150 for a bottle of beer is reasonable, These people may also driver to work in an Enzo. If beer is your passion, $30-$40 for a a chance to taste something considered epic in the world of your passion, when you otherwise wouldn't have the chance, is completely reasonable for some. It's ultimately their choice to spend the $30-$40 on it. But I agree with the trading aspect. I hope to go next year and pick up 3-4 bottles. in hopes of trading 1-2 for some other gem I cannot obtain myself.

That all depends on how well I enjoy the bottle of This Year's I'm so thankfully receiving soon. Should make a good camp fire treat come October.

does DL has high contents of caffeine???? what other types apart from DL have high amounts of caffeine, please give a brief explaination about this, as i am a novice with beer. i am unaware of trends.

Fuel Cafe Stout from Lakeside Brewing has caffeine. Some brewers use it with stouts.

IP - I know what you mean on the trading. I got to try many beers that I've never had before by filling people's cups up with homebrew. I'm waiting anxiously for some Mirror Mirror, which I shouldn't be able to get, but I may be getting lucky...

I don't see anything wrong with selling them at crazy prices. They can do what they want with them. If the brewer wanted average Homebrewers to be able to taste it they would brew more. They want it to be for a select few. I'm not buying any at high prices though.

It's Deschutes Brewery's Double IPA that is limited release. Their regular IPA is called Mirror Pond or something like that.

No, Mirror Mirror is a barleywine. Its part of their super limited edition series like Abyss and The Dissident.
Hop Henge is the Deschutes IIPA, Inversion is their Regular IPA and Mirror Pond is their pale ale. They say Mirror Mirror is a scaled up recipe of Mirror Pond but I'll bet there are significantly more differences than just barleywine-ing that recipe.
I'm itching for a bottle of Mirror Mirror myself

Latest posts

Back