Dark Lord 2016

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im going to be first to say that if you want to come to the midwest premier beer festival its 100% Gonzoillini and trickytunadicky birthday party. Hands down the best thing I've been to in the last 9 months. Momma D makes the best mac and cheese, theres 2 bathrooms that flush, the LT, and everyone from TB
God, the food was so good.
Good to know there are no hard feelings about the beer (Sam Adams Triple Bock, right?) causing you to boot for the first time in your life.

Proposal: next year, on the day of DLD, let's rent out a block of rooms & a conference room at a hotel in one of the near Chicago suburbs, and have an epic anti-DLD bottle share. It'll basically be what most of us go to DLD for anyway, only without the shitty weather and exposure to the greater beer community*.

For the same price as this year's DLD tickets (or previous year's ticket+bottles+food+draft pours), we can each probably get half a room, the conference room, a ton of Kirkland bottled water, and a food spread (and/or a bunch of pizzas), and all the room in the world for beer pong, bags, cards, tunes, whatever.

Thoughts?

kq22pHU.gif

To make it feel more like Dark Lord Day though, can we do the following?

- Artificially impose a time when the doors open and force people to get in line or live in fear of 'missing out' on $12.50 mini snifters, random merch, and a variant of some beer that says 'vanilla' in the description?
- Have a makeshift security line that snakes around the hotel a few times, and have someone look through bags while simultaneously being responsible for checking IDs and not actually enforce taking anything out of said bags?
- Hire a couple random security people and don't give them any guidance and just tell them to 'police the line'?
- Have Gonzoillini convince LT to release a special Imperial Oak bottle for those in attendance?
- Hire people to come in and not bring any bottles to share and then fawn over how amazing DLD is while drinking everyone else's bottles that they brought to share?
- Hire a shitty DJ to play music in the room at a ridiculous volume so we all are forced to shout over the music?

Think that covers about 75% of it. I'm down.

Good to know there are no hard feelings about the beer (Sam Adams Triple Bock, right?) causing you to boot for the first time in your life.

The Table of Terrors was a great high(low?)light of this year's festivities (the only one I've attended, granted). Batch 31 Blue Lady was impressively awful, as was ***** Please (thanks rmalinowski4!).

Other highlights were shotgunning all the Busch cans that Jaminjohnson brought, using a pickaxe to puncture the sides. Also the shirtless dancing, can't remember who all was involved in that but I recall Jaminjohnson, Gonzoillini, and LSMroz being around, or maybe I'm full of **** and remembering some other point of the night. And that ****ing incredible venison chili. And Carleton (is he on here?) bringing that old dontdrinkbeer pre-condolambic. And lots of other ****. Glad I flew in for that party.

Jill (and her husband Aaron) killed it last year as well. I'll let her know at bowling night that her playlist was appreciated by drunk asses other than my own :D

Yes! I'm sayin':
I'm actually interested in something like this. Although I don't have access to many WHALEZ bro I'd see Anjila and I heading down with Arlo, staying in a hotel with a nice pool or something and her allowing me to get **** wasted if it was all in the same building. Of course numerous other family activities would have to be planned, but keep me posted. I think I could swing it, and I'd be happy to contribute in whatever I can.

Im going to be first to say that if you want to come to the midwest premier beer festival its 100% Gonzoillini and trickytunadicky birthday party. Hands down the best thing I've been to in the last 9 months. Momma D makes the best mac and cheese, theres 2 bathrooms that flush, the LT, and everyone from TB

was this the legendary party I heard about on BA five years ago that involved two BAs inviting the internet into their home and someone wiped their ass with the shower curtain?

oh my god are you the person who brought that to the ****ing courtyard share?

that rivals Infectious Diseases In Cattle (MayorBieber's abomination of an imperial milk stout aged in scotch/mescal/ginger liqueur barrels) as one of the worst things I've had.

was this the legendary party I heard about on BA five years ago that involved two BAs inviting the internet into their home and someone wiped their ass with the shower curtain?

Nope thankfully that was oreo and AleWatcher's shindig where someone abused the privilege of being able to use indoor plumbing...

I did destroy a toilet about 3 years ago however.

oh my god are you the person who brought that to the ****ing courtyard share?

that rivals Infectious Diseases In Cattle (MayorBieber's abomination of an imperial milk stout aged in scotch/mescal/ginger liqueur barrels) as one of the worst things I've had.
Nope, I don't remember who brought the 1994 Triple Bock to Gonzoillini 's house. Actually I didn't think the beer was that bad, but for some reason it was the kryptonite for powz87 that day. That Blue Lady, however . . .

there's a post on BA right now where a guy admits to fishing his dark lord out of a porto and then got them stolen

Scanned up-thread, and holy ****, this guy takes beer way too seriously:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/dark-lord-day-2016.378199/page-100#post-4736243

Regular BA seemed to be passed over, but it's a safe bet, low risk, low relative hype for the fest, but huge payoff.

But seriously man, what is your friend going to do with $150? Pay a cable or phone bill? Why get a variant at all? At the very least, trade it up, otherwise the suffering through that whole ordeal and all the insanity of the day isn't worth a soggy $150 in place of a guaranteed variant. He should have just not come and saved the potential ticket for someone who cares.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OMG. This guy is my leading nominee for Golden Neckbeard for outstanding achievement in extreme loss of dignity in pursuit and ultimate loss of a beer everyone hates.

I can't quite follow the story enough to determine. he was able to grab the cardboard tote with four beers without incident, but had to "fish the bottle out of the port o potty" for the fifth, but says his variant "didn't fall in."

if he srsly like was digging in the liquid/solid area of the porto for a regular DL I'm floored. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it for a BVDL I dropped in there, but the regular DL would be left there.

idea for 2k17: re-wax empty BVDL bottles, drop them in portos, watch to see if people come out with them.

with some of the stories about people being black out drunk, miscommunication between friends, forgetting where the tent they were drinking at was located.. how many of these "my beer got stolen" stories are actually "i was so ****ing hammered and forgot we drank that/i dropped it/i gave it to some random"?

at least 25%, right?

My group was missing a Vanilla Militia and 4 regular DL when we got back to the hotel but I could definitely be at fault. Like you said, who knows if I dropped them, set them down, chugged them on the walk back to the car, etc. As I said to someone else, if you're gonna get blackout drunk then losing some bottles is just a cost of doing business. I had way too much awesome beer this weekend at the hotel, in the compound, and hanging out in line that being upset over 5 missing bottles of dark lord really wouldn't make a lot of sense.

I can't quite follow the story enough to determine. he was able to grab the cardboard tote with four beers without incident, but had to "fish the bottle out of the port o potty" for the fifth, but says his variant "didn't fall in."

if he srsly like was digging in the liquid/solid area of the porto for a regular DL I'm floored. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it for a BVDL I dropped in there, but the regular DL would be left there.

idea for 2k17: re-wax empty BVDL bottles, drop them in portos, watch to see if people come out with them.

I think he had the cardboard tote and variant in the cloth tote bag and when the bag fell over the cardboard + 4 bottles fell in?

I got a couple pours, then got into the ridiculous food line to order one of everything and spend the rest of our tickets. Dark Lord ice cream is... interesting.

I really wanted to try that ice cream. But I was already so ****ing soaked and wet and cold I couldn't even fathom getting colder eating ice cream. Interesting bad? or interesting good?

I really wanted to try that ice cream. But I was already so ****ing soaked and wet and cold I couldn't even fathom getting colder eating ice cream. Interesting bad? or interesting good?
Sweet, chocolately, spicy, much dark fruit. It came in a Ben and Jerry's like container and I don't live too far from FFF so I just put it in my bag and took it home to re-freeze.

Guys, guys, guys!

There's a dude on BA that has the perfect solution to the problem of people having their bottles stolen:

I've reached out to Three Floyds with my potential solution and sincerely hope they take me up on it if they continue with this year's format:

I've proposed a "locker-type" arrangement where we'd be located on festival grounds providing a glorified coat-check operation that would allow for a safe and secure place to store one's goods for the day. Everything would be categorized and held under lock and key. In order to keep everything in order, your ticket number would be tagged on your belongings and required to pick them up later in the day. A premium service would be provided that would transport the remaining items to major cities around IN and IL the next day; stopping at key POPs (points of pick-ups
).

Guys, guys, guys!

There's a dude on BA that has the perfect solution to the problem of people having their bottles stolen:

I've reached out to Three Floyds with my potential solution and sincerely hope they take me up on it if they continue with this year's format:

I've proposed a "locker-type" arrangement where we'd be located on festival grounds providing a glorified coat-check operation that would allow for a safe and secure place to store one's goods for the day. Everything would be categorized and held under lock and key. In order to keep everything in order, your ticket number would be tagged on your belongings and required to pick them up later in the day. A premium service would be provided that would transport the remaining items to major cities around IN and IL the next day; stopping at key POPs (points of pick-ups
).
59102719.jpg

Guys, guys, guys!

).
I think I've been to a brewery release that did this. I just can't remember who it was.

Guys, guys, guys!

).

giphy.gif

Latest posts

Back