Dark Grisette

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonetlumiere85

Reaction score
Hey all, I got the basis for this recipe from the "Farmhouse Ales" book, the section on grisette, which is like a medium-strength, extra hoppy saison. I also interpreted the section of the text to say that the beer would often be quite dark. Records are sketchy. With that spirit of invention/reinvention? in mind, I tweaked the recipe a tad.

Let me know what you think of the recipe! I brewed it earlier today and pitched a cultured blend of Saison Dupont Vielle Provision and Avec Bons Voeux, so hopefully fermentation should start soon.

Fermentables
7.5 lb Belgian Pilsener Malt
2.5 lb Belgian Pale Wheat Malt
0.25 lb Briess Caramel 80L Malt
0.25 Dingemans Chocolate Malt

Hops
1 oz 7%AA Sterling 60min
0.5 oz 5.5%AA East Kent Goldings 25 min
0.5 oz 5.5%AA East Kent Goldings Flameout

Spices - Added fairly evenly at 20min, 5min, and 1min
.25 oz juniper berries, crushed
.08 oz paradise seeds, crushed
.10 oz coriander seeds, crushed
.22 oz bitter orange peel
.22 oz sweet orange peel
1/4tsp of Celtic sea salt

Mash @ 152F, 60min
Batch Sparge @ 152F, 15min
Mash out @ 170F-ish

Predicted OG: 1.052-1.055
Predicted IBU: 30
Predicted Color (SRM): 12

Thanks for any feedback. I'll keep this updated as it ferments.

Edit: Fermentation has begun! I woke up this morning to a nice layer of foamy krausen. I pitched the Dupont yeast when it was around 88-90 degrees, and the temperature hasn't dropped into the range of the stick-on thermometer yet (78 max), so I figure it's in good shape!

Well, I guess I took a cue from gose, which uses salt in the boil. I wanted to see if it would be at all noticeable. I'm guessing it won't be, since it was all of like 12 grains. When I tasted the gravity sample, I couldn't detect any of the spices, but I figure they'll poke through when the malt has been fermented.

Back