Dark fruit with a strong dark ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
im going to be brewing a Strong Dark Belgian this weekend and I was thinking about adding in a dark fruit like currants and or black cherries to the secondary.. late in the secondary that is.. I’ll be using Wyeast 3864. And I’m shooting for around 10%abv.. I dont want an over powering fruit bomb just a little hint.. I figured the darker fruit flavor would compliment the style and yeast..

Have any of y’all ever added fruit to a strong dark before or have any suggestions?

I made the same recipe last year and just finished the last bottle.. it was most def good but did slightly leave me wanting more.. and for a beer that matures in about a years time yeah just don’t want to be left wanting more out of it..

My favorite strong dark Belgian is the Unibroue Grande Reserve but I figured I wanted to try something a little different..

Any ideas??

Oh yeah the recipe kit is the NB. northy 12 Belgian Quad

Keep in mind that most of the sweetness will get fermented out and what you'll be left with is the sourness. It could still be a great addition (and isn't uncommon in examples I've seen).

Might be more interesting to bottle half and fruit the other half, so you know next time what the effects are. ;)

Might be more interesting to bottle half and fruit the other half, so you know next time what the effects are. ;)[/QUOTE]

Great idea .. I think I will do that.. bottle 1/2 then fruit the other.. just in case. Just had an idea of adding black cherries and cocoa nibs... ehh we’ll see.. I think there’s a lot of options so I’ll play around..

I’ll keep it in the secondary for a little over 4 months.. would you add in immediately into the secondary? Or wait?

Back