Dark Brown Sugar, Aftertaste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechMiller

Reaction score
I thought I remember some people saying that if you add Dark Brown Sugar to your brew that they have noticed an aftertaste.

Has anyone experienced this?

Can anyone give an explanation as to the aftertaste you might get?

Thanks!

I would have to think it would depend on the type if beer you are being it with. I have used a .5 lbs if Brian sugar myself in a brown porter and didn't notice any kind of abnormal aftertaste......that being said, it was a dark beer so there was a lot of flavor to cover it if something was there.

What kind of beer are you thinking?

I get a soy sauce flavor when using dark brown sugar and even more so with straight molasses. When I figured that out it came right out of the pumpkin ale recipe. Unpleasant.

I have tried a few beers with molasses, and I can't attest to the quality of the ingredient, but them seem to have a harsh, chemical, slightly acrid flavor to me.

I far prefer homemade dark candi sugar, which has the caramel, toffee, richness that to me molasses doesn't really provide.

Back