Dark Belgian Braggot recipe advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonkman

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time beer brewer. Long time mead maker. First braggot.

Here's what I'm thinking. I want the color to be dark and let both grains and honey speak. On the strong side, but not overtly sweet, and with decent head. I've made beer and mead with Wyeast 1388 (as per BOMM method) and imagine this combo could go well for 5gal:

3lb Pilsner
2lb Vienna
1lb Munich
2lb Wheat
0.3lb Midnight Wheat
0.3 Special B
9lb honey (wildflower, probably)

1 oz UK Kent Goldings (60 min)

Wyeast 1388

Any ideas? Additions, subtractions?

I think you have the beginnings of something interesting here, but it looks like it wouldn't be properly bittered. 1 oz of EKG doesn't sound like a lot here. If it were me, I'd shoot for 25-30 IBU, but maybe I'm off with the braggot? I haven't brewed a braggot before. 2 oz might not be too much.

I think you have the beginnings of something interesting here, but it looks like it wouldn't be properly bittered. 1 oz of EKG doesn't sound like a lot here. If it were me, I'd shoot for 25-30 IBU, but maybe I'm off with the braggot? I haven't brewed a braggot before. 2 oz might not be too much.

Awesome, thanks. I've never even had a braggot, truth be told!

EKG at 5-6% AA added at 60min gives about 20 - 25 IBU. My instinct is also to bump it up a touch, but I reckoned playing it safe is maybe the way to go on the first batch. Also, I think I'll take out 1lb of wheat and add 1lb vienna. And up the Special B to 0.4.

I was thinking to do a split batch, racking half onto fruit. Maybe berries? Or spices?

ABV should be in the 10% range.

Back