Danstar BRY 97: both times ever used: Sour Apple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYShooterGuy

Reaction score
I made an IPA Dec 2014 and used BRY 97. Came out sweet & apple off flavor.
Made another recently with NEW packet: same result!

WHAT GIVES?!:confused::(

Can you give us more detail about what your beers were that you fermented, temperature, yeast starter etc?
I have personally used that yeast about 6 times in the last year and not ever come close to an apple off flavor. It does give a perceived maltiness that is not really there, my beers generally finish around 1.006 and don't taste that dry

I have used it a couple times. The first time I wasn't happy with the flavor. I thought it may have been the recipe and tried it again. I didn't like it the second time either. I haven't used it since.

I have used it a couple times. The first time I wasn't happy with the flavor. I thought it may have been the recipe and tried it again. I didn't like it the second time either. I haven't used it since.

Yeah. Not the yeast for me. I am meticulous with sanitation and fermentation temps. Never had problems with any strain other than this one. Going to stick with S-05

I like it and have made good American ales with it, but it is a chico strain so us-05 or wlp001 would be good as well.

BRY 97 does start slow I have discovered.

I have an APA made with that yeast on tap now. It seemed to perform well and produced a clean beer. I would use the yeast again.

Latest posts

Back