Dank Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cardassian

Reaction score
Hey all I am looking to brew a dank pale ale this weekend.
A good friend and myself have been experimenting with trying to make a dank pale ale/ ipa with no luck.

My grain bill is as follows:

4.3 kg Gladfields Pale Ale Malt
0.2 kg Gladfields medium crystal

I have used this before with good results.

I have the following hops at hand:

Colombus
Citra
Comet
Nelson Sauvin
Cascade (nz)
Crystal
Summit
Simcoe
Centennial
Riwaka
Pacifica
Brooklyn
Chinook
Southern Cross
Dr Rudi
Hopshot (Pacific Jade)

I am aiming for between 30-45 ibu.

Any suggestions on what hops/schedules to use to bring out the dank would be greatly appreciated.

Columbus & Comet have a good bit of "dank" to them. Try those. Nelson can, but IDK how to make it come out.

get mosaic if you want dank, stuff smells and tastes like a hippy eating a strawberry pie at burning man.

So trying to work with what i have how about

Hopshot @ 60 10ibu
Columbus @ 15 12ibu
Summit @ 0 10ibu whirlpool
Comet @ 0 6ibu whirlpool
22g columbus dry hop
22g comet dry hop

Any thoughts?

get mosaic if you want dank, stuff smells and tastes like a hippy eating a strawberry pie at burning man.

He doesn't have Mosaic listed in the hops he has, above.

:)

Oddly enough, I just used a good bit of Mosaic in a DIPA, along with Nelson Sauvin, and got no dankness from it. I really am wondering if the crop-year makes a difference. I had an all-Nelson beer recently and it was DANK! I know Stone used to use all-Centennial in their Ruination v.1, and it was pretty danky. Two Hearted is also all Centennial, and it's just floral grapefruit-y. Maybe it's all in the technique?

:confused:

Definitely use some some combo of comet, summit, columbus, and Nelson (if its fresh) in a late whirlpool and dry hopping addition. If you are looking to pick up any more hops, these are my recommendations in descending order or dankness

Apollo
Comet (esp in dry hop)
Columbus
Galaxy (the 2014 was all mango, but the last 2 year have been very resinous in dry hopping)
Summit (depending on harvest, sometimes just onion/garlicky)
Nelson Sauvin (depending on harvest)
Simcoe (depending on harvest)
Chinook (very very fresh)

He doesn't have Mosaic listed in the hops he has, above.

:)

Oddly enough, I just used a good bit of Mosaic in a DIPA, along with Nelson Sauvin, and got no dankness from it. I really am wondering if the crop-year makes a difference. I had an all-Nelson beer recently and it was DANK! I know Stone used to use all-Centennial in their Ruination v.1, and it was pretty danky. Two Hearted is also all Centennial, and it's just floral grapefruit-y. Maybe it's all in the technique?

I definitely think there's quite a bit of variation from year to year.
However I think technique also plays a major part.
Therein lies my problem, trying to nail down varieties and techniques.

Definitely use some some combo of comet, summit, columbus, and Nelson (if its fresh) in a late whirlpool and dry hopping addition. If you are looking to pick up any more hops, these are my recommendations in descending order or dankness

Apollo
Comet (esp in dry hop)
Columbus
Galaxy (the 2014 was all mango, but the last 2 year have been very resinous in dry hopping)
Summit (depending on harvest, sometimes just onion/garlicky)
Nelson Sauvin (depending on harvest)
Simcoe (depending on harvest)
Chinook (very very fresh)

My Nelson is last years harvest as this years is due out around now and I didn't get the green hops.

I definitely think there's quite a bit of variation from year to year.
However I think technique also plays a major part.
Therein lies my problem, trying to nail down varieties and techniques.

IME, the longer they are boiled, the more the hops will lose that resinous, pungent dank quality (provded they had it in the first place). So definitely consider focusing hard on the post-boil additions

For instance, I have a lot of apollo on hand. If I add it at say 60-30min for a bittering addition, I get zero flavor. Maybe a hint of orange at 30min. If I add some at 15-10min for flavor, I get a clean orange without much herbal character. Anything post boil, especially late whirlpool and dry hop gives me an almost sticky-like dankness along with the orange

If your nelson was stored well, its probably still got it. If its smells pungent, then id use it

I used my Mosaic in both the hop-stand & dry-hopping only. The Nelson was dry-hops only.

No dank.

:(

I'll try Apollo next time.

1/2 oz Columbus 60 (20.6 IBU)
1 oz simcoe 10 (13.9 IBU)
1 oz Columbus 0
1 oz cascade 0
1 oz Columbus dry hop
1 oz cascade dry hop
1 oz simcoe

I know Stone used to use all-Centennial in their Ruination v.1, and it was pretty danky. Two Hearted is also all Centennial, and it's just floral grapefruit-y. Maybe it's all in the technique?

I've never seen Ruination (original) referred to as dank. I've certainly never experienced it as such. It had the citrus/grapefruit you would expect from a beer that used centennial for flavor and aroma.

I think centennial is the wrong way to go as a primary late hop if you're going for dank. Supporting role? Sure, but not as the main hop.

Fwiw I've seen some people refer to Amarillo as dank as well, and I've never experienced that from Amarillo either. I wonder if there might be a difference in opinion of what constitutes dank, since there is also considerable variation in the aroma of dank.

IME, the longer they are boiled, the more the hops will lose that resinous, pungent dank quality (provded they had it in the first place). So definitely consider focusing hard on the post-boil additions

For instance, I have a lot of apollo on hand. If I add it at say 60-30min for a bittering addition, I get zero flavor. Maybe a hint of orange at 30min. If I add some at 15-10min for flavor, I get a clean orange without much herbal character. Anything post boil, especially late whirlpool and dry hop gives me an almost sticky-like dankness along with the orange

If your nelson was stored well, its probably still got it. If its smells pungent, then id use it

:mug: Cheers this info on timing is great.
I was thinking earlier might provide the dank and later the fruit so I was looking at it all wrong.

I recommend Columbus. You would probably end up with the same hops as I get from my LHBS in Wellington and they were the business for the dankness. As per m00ps and others, I added them late (20 mins then hopstand).

Back