danger of too much SMB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
hello all, i just brewed my first low oxygen 3 gallon batch as an experiment, 100% pilsner grain bill, i started by bringing my strike to 100F and added 10 grams of yeast and 10 grams of sugar and let sit about an hour or so, then started heating to strike temp adding 1.25 grams of SMB once i reached 130F and i continued brew day using lodo techniques (underletting,mash cap etc etc) reason im posting this is my concern of maybe i used too much SMB and dont want anyone to get sick , 1 gram of smb per gallon = 175ppm sulfites so i divided that by 5 giving me 35 ppm for the total volume but that is too low for a target of 50 ppm so i added a 1/4 gram more, i tasted a sample and the malt flavors are extremely pronounced but i get something else in the backround and my face got hot, now im thinking its the smb, at what ppm of smb is dangerous? thank you

I believe you’re probably in a decent range for SMB addition, so don’t fret too much. The main thing I found with excessive dose is the increased dryness in the beer due to the added sulfate.

But another thing that a LODO brewer should understand is that it’s not suited to all styles. It’s great for many lagers, but can be less beneficial for other styles.

thank you Martin, maybe adjusting gypsum additions in a smart move when adding SMB right?

thank you Martin, maybe adjusting gypsum additions in a smart move when adding SMB right?
Yes, a SMB user should consider the amount of sulfate that addition produces and any other sulfate salt additions might need to be dialed back. The good thing is that the sulfate contribution of the typical SMB addition is pretty low and not much adjustment is needed.

yeah that was in my head, i sampled again no hot face or anything, mind playing tricks before, really taste the malt its really cool

Back