Dang wasp fell in my cooled wort.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Just finished ... or so I thought, my brew day. Have 2 fermenters sanitized and ready, went out to retrieve my cooled wort. Shut off the water to the chiller and boom there is a wasp swimming around in my wort. Just lit the burner, gonna get it up over 195 then chill it again. Guess I'll have a pint of baltic porter. I hate wasting time and money but the biggest waste would be in the planned 9 gallons of beer were to go bad due to the wasp. On the bright side suppose I could call the resulting brews WASP Saison and Blonde WASP. :mug:

Just finished ... or so I thought, my brew day. Have 2 fermenters sanitized and ready, went out to retrieve my cooled wort. Shut off the water to the chiller and boom there is a wasp swimming around in my wort. Just lit the burner, gonna get it up over 195 then chill it again. Guess I'll have a pint of baltic porter. I hate wasting time and money but the biggest waste would be in the planned 9 gallons of beer were to go bad due to the wasp. On the bright side suppose I could call the resulting brews WASP Saison and Blonde WASP. :mug:

Bummer! I support your mitigation strategy. Good luck with the rest of the brew day!

EDIT: I vote for Blonde WASP.

Yellow Jacket Saison, hope it all turns out good for you.

All went well with the pasteurization. Got my belle saison and s-33 rehydrated and pitched into two 4.25 gal batches.

Not sure what size your boil kettle is, but when I whirlpool I put a paint strainer bag over the top of my kettle. I use a 9.2 gallon Stout Kettles brew pot, and there is plenty of room to go bigger on kettle size. Keeps the bugs out and things flying in the air out.

I hear wasps/bees carry a variety of wild yeasts on them, could have made something really interesting and funky!

Back