Dang CO2 leak!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erockdoc

Reaction score
Filled a keg last night, hooked it up to gas, put it all in the beer fridge. It was holding pressure just fine all evening. I even pressure tested the keg for the last 2 weeks (new fittings).

Woke up this morning to an unpressurized keg and empty CO2 cylinder. :mad:

I am assuming that there is still enough CO2 in the keg to keep a nice blanket of CO2 above the beer, so oxygen shouldn't be an issue until I can get the cylinder filled and check all the fittings. I could be wrong.

erockdoc said:
Filled a keg last night, hooked it up to gas, put it all in the beer fridge. It was holding pressure just fine all evening. I even pressure tested the keg for the last 2 weeks (new fittings).

Woke up this morning to an unpressurized keg and empty CO2 cylinder. :mad:

I am assuming that there is still enough CO2 in the keg to keep a nice blanket of CO2 above the beer, so oxygen shouldn't be an issue until I can get the cylinder filled and check all the fittings. I could be wrong.

Sure, you should be fine. I had the same issue with my new setup -- lost two tanks before I found the leaks. One at the regulator and one at the gas in fitting, I think.

Sure, you should be fine. I had the same issue with my new setup -- lost two tanks before I found the leaks. One at the regulator and one at the gas in fitting, I think.

Yeah, I am sure it is fine. Very strange considering the keg had been holding pressure for two weeks before I filled it. Must have bumped something in the process of kegging.

From now on, I am doing a serious soapy water leak inspection every time I keg!

One thing to check, this happened to me recently, my keg passed the pressure check and my tank and lines passed the weight test after a week as well. I hooked up my keg and three days later I would have an empty CO2 tank. Come to find out, it was one of my poppets that needed replacing but the leak would not happen until the CO2 line was engaged on the post.

jhay_x7 said:
One thing to check, this happened to me recently, my keg passed the pressure check and my tank and lines passed the weight test after a week as well. I hooked up my keg and three days later I would have an empty CO2 tank. Come to find out, it was one of my poppets that needed replacing but the leak would not happen until the CO2 line was engaged on the post.

Thanks, I have a feeling this is something similar. All brand new fittings, but I suppose that's no reason the poppet couldn't be leaking.

Yeah, I am sure it is fine. Very strange considering the keg had been holding pressure for two weeks before I filled it. Must have bumped something in the process of kegging.

From now on, I am doing a serious soapy water leak inspection every time I keg!

I do a leak inspection every time I swap out kegs. I use a spray bottle of Star San since I already have one ready and that way I don't leave soap residue on anything.

I would guess it must've been something else.

You could have a keg missing both poppets, but as long as the post O-rings were sound and you had both QDs properly connected, it won't leak at all...

Cheers!

Back