Danby Mods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionicrocky

Reaction score
I've been modding my Costco Danby Kegerator. I added a home made tower cooler from a 120mm computer fan with blue LEDs and 1/2 inch tubing in a Radio Shack project box. It took a bucket of KY and a shoe horn, but I fit it in with 2x pin locks and the co2 bottle.

I also switched out the black chromed tower with a Stainless Tower with two Perlicks.

Next is relocating the temperature probe at least, if not a new temp control.

1404516109277.jpg

1404516123171.jpg

Looks great! I recently built a kegerator from the same fridge. Can you post pics of your fan build? How did u run the fan cord out of the fridge? Also, I'm having a ton of problems balancing my system. Cup of foam every time. Did u run into that at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I will indeed post the build! Because SWMBO let me have the keg in the living room, I have the co2 in the kegerator, so I read the wires through a gland where the co2 tube would have gone.

I do have problems with foam for sure. I found that the 120mm fan is toooo slow to really push the air very well, so rebuilding the fan box to see if that helps. I'll post the buildout. The project box is really to big to fit well. I grabbed a smaller project box and am switching to an 80mm computer fan. SWMBO let me put the kegerator in the living room next to the bar cart, but the co2 bottle needs to be inside, so it is wicked cramped.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404753339.009345.jpg when you say the gland, do you mean this hole on the compressor hump? If so, did it just snake through or did you have to modify it?

Let me know the fan fixes the foaming problem. For me, it's not just the first pint that foams so I suspect it's something else. I anxiously await your report.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wow. 10' seems like a lot for a little mini fridge. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know how people came up with 10'? I played around with calculators like this:
http://www.iancrockett.com/brewing/info/kegbalance.shtml

I plugged in 7' of tubing, 2 lbs per foot resistance and 2.5' drop from the top of the tower to the middle of the keg. It says I can use up to 15 psi on the keg. I have played with pressures from 5-15 psi with no luck.

Isn't that about the liquid line, not the line for the tap tower cooler?

By gland I meant the one on the upper right as you look inside, build for the co2 line to pass through. If your's is a fridge you are converting, it may not have that hole....

I have got the same kegerator but it only has 1 tap. I am wanting to upgrade to 2 taps. Did you upgrade the tower yourself? If so, do I need to worry about any coolant lines in the top when connecting the new tower? I am not familiar with refrigeration and how these units cool.

Thanks!

Back