Damn! Stir Plate Challenge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowan57

Reaction score
So I was doing real well ordering all the bits for my solder less stir plate with the idea of not having to ask any questions because it looked super simple.

Everything arrived today, and I reached a major hurdle. I'm building by this video:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVLB9c0j1iU[/ame]

However, my fan has a 4 pin connector and the Fan Controller i ordered has a 3 pin connector. Kinda like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I also don't think my fan controller is going to come out of its mount unlike the one in the video. DOH!

Pictures to follow, any tips / thoughts welcome.

So I was doing real well ordering all the bits for my solder less stir plate with the idea of not having to ask any questions because it looked super simple.

Everything arrived today, and I reached a major hurdle. I'm building by this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVLB9c0j1iU

However, my fan has a 4 pin connector and the Fan Controller i ordered has a 3 pin connector. Kinda like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I also don't think my fan controller is going to come out of its mount unlike the one in the video. DOH!

Pictures to follow, any tips / thoughts welcome.

You could try cutting the connectors off the fan and controller and then wiring the fan directly. It shouldn't be too difficult. Just wrap the connections in electrical tape.

I don't know what kind of mount you are talking about for the fan but you should be able to see the center of the fan that spins and glue your magnets to that.

Good luck!

I'm working on the same project. I did not order anything though. I have some old desktop computers to pull the ingredients from.

One thing I would recommend to any DYIers is to be careful of voltages. I used an AC power supply to run a DC fan (the best one I had) and it is garbage now.

I have another power supply, a couple more fans and can't find a suitable container for the assembly. I really want something capable of supporting a 2L or larger flask.

As for the connectors rowan57, I would cut them and review a couple of other videos if you don't understand which wire should go where. What are you using for a speed control (rheostat/potentiameter)?

You should be able to connect the 3pin controller to 4pin fan and just avoid the 4th pin (PWM, blue). Red to red, black to black, and yellow to yellow. You may need to shave a little plastic ridge on the 3pin controller to get it to slide on correctly.

Ok, I'm starting again, I won't be able to make what I have work for various reasons.

I have ordered a new fan (only £2, I can live with that). I just need to understand the rest of it, I'm going to pop into our equivalent of radio shack at the weekend and see if they can help. I do have a very nice cigar box for it to go in.

I wish I had a nice cigar box!

Here's one of the videos I had watched. It's pretty simple and explains the connections -

Last edited by a moderator:
three wire fans have a wire in the center to monitor the rpm of the fan (usually blue or yellow)...Its not needed in this setup so you can just avoid using it... easiest way is to buy a couple crimp connecters or electrical tape like already mentioned and do away with the factory plugs... as already mentioned make sure you use matching components (example use a 12vdc fan with a 12v dc power source and not a 5v fan or ac fan.)

Back