Damaged Post Threads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealperkins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I now have damaged the posts on about 3 kegs such that they will not accept a post. I know there is a way to repair the threads but not being very mechanical, I thought I'd ask. I just got this nice new catalog from Harbor Freight just begging for a purchase.
Thank you.

I'd think you would have to re thread them, but why are they all stripping? I'd be worried that this continues to happen.

Damaged threads can be reconditioned using taps and dies. the hole part uses a tap and the bolt part uses dies. I wonder why your threads are getting damaged in the first place. Perhaps the threading on the bolt doesn't match the pitch of the threads in the hole? Assuming taps or dies help, the threading will likely remain rough and it will be relatively easy to damage them again.

I have a lot of kegs and they are from a variety of sources. . . who knows.
If I use a tap, what size would it be?
How would I get the tap handles below the keg handles.

You should be able to run a die over your posts. Also remember it doesn't take a lot of torque to seal a keg when you have an o-ring and keg lube. Just about half turn past finger tight.

Yeah, I think the bigger issue is why this keeps happening, I don't think this seems normal. Calm down when tightening those guys up lol. :rockin:

I have kegs from a variety of sources and don't experience this issue. I do make sure when taking off the posts that I keep them with their respective keg. If you don't bother doing this, then I bet that's part of your issue.

But...you might have the issue if someone gave you a damaged keg. So, I have 36 kegs and only one has been damaged 'on my watch' in the last 12 years. But, I do have a couple kegs I would like to put back into service.

Does anyone know what size tap and thread I need to straighten the threads?

Latest posts

Back