Dacron rope?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5 Is Not Enough

Reaction score
It seems if one is looking for a high quality outdoor rope, Dacron seems to be the most revered for durability. My question, anybody know if this is suitable for use with plants like hops?

I don't see why not. I've never heard of Dacron, but if the tensile strength is good enough and it won't leach chemicals into the plants, it should be fine. How does it hold up to UV rays?

See that's the thing. Its supposed to be the best with UV, moisture... I guess it's an adapted form of polyestester rope. I read that its actually PET. I think if thats true, than there would be no risk of leaching chemicals, but that is really my concern.

I suspect there are good reasons all commercial hop growers stick with natural materials.

Would the hops be able to grip onto a polyester rope? Wouldn't that potentially be too slippery? I mean, it's only got to be durable enough for one season, then rip it down and start fresh the next season.

I think the factors with commercial growing would be:
1 - Cost
2 - Labor to clean and reuse
To me, I'd like to have a permanent solution and I dont mind taking the time once a year to clean them.

I bet after 1 year you would replace them anyways. IMHO they will get somewhat nasty under all of those bines. Harvest the cones and throw it all in the burn pile. You don't want to be cleaning rope.

Back