Czech Pills hop load!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MplsUgly

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a 10 gallon batch of Czech Pills and I'm planning on using Saaz for the hops but by my calculation, it’s going to take about 10 oz. of hops to bitter this beer. In theory, that’s all fine and well but I don’t have a good way to deal with excessive hop material in my kettle. I could use a hop sack but I think they throw off the utilization. In the past when I make my big IPAs I strain the wort going into the fermenter with a filter in a funnel but is kind of a PITA but if needed, I could do it.

Does anyone use a bittering hop for the 60 min addition that has a higher alpha acid to reduce the hop load in the kettle? If anyone has a recommendation I would appreciate it.

Pils!
Or Pilsner.

I use large roomy hop bags in the kettle (due to using a plate chiller) and keep them agitated ("massaged") and drain them every 3-5 minutes during the boil and whirlpool. I haven't noticed any reduction in hop utilization at all, from the most bitter Double IPAs/Barleywines to the most hoppy NEIPAs.

What is the %AA in your Saaz? 10 oz for a 10 gallon batch sounds a little high. What is your hop schedule? What is your target IBU?
A true Czech Pilsner (Urquell, Bodvar) only uses Saaz, but you could bitter with Magnum and use the Saaz for all later additions. Magnum is very neutral, doesn't leave much of a mark, if anything, a little earthy/herbally, IMO.

You could use Magnum or Hall for bittering and Saaz for the late additions

I've never seemed to notice much of a drop-off in hop utilization when using hop sacks, though lately I have been going commando with my pellet hops and filtering them out post boil and cool-down.

That said, in my attempts to clone the elusive Pilsner Urquell over the years (without resorting to proper decoction) I have noticed (this being my personal perception) that I get better end results if I target about 27-30 IBU's than if I target the purported to be official requisite of 40 IBU's. There is something about the actual Urquell process and water which permits the use of more hops with less harsh impact. I seem to get more hop impact via my process so I reduce the hops accordingly, but then, I do target at least 40 and up to 50 ppm calcium ions in my mash water. I'm currently mashing full volume without sparging.

Lately I have been using Magnum at 60 minutes, Sterling at 20 minutes, and Saaz at 10 minutes, and I think this combination works well in the Czech Pilsner style, while using far less hops overall. In my opinion Sterling is like Saaz on spiced steroids. Lastly, Magnum is very unobtrusive as a bittering hop.

I got some Pekko at 16.8% AA and it's been great for bittering Euro lagers and Belgian-style ales. Definitely has Saaz-like qualities.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I made a hop spider in the past and didn't like it. I think my mesh was too fine and didn't allow liquid to pass freely. When you picked it up it would hold wort and slowly drain. I could try one of the mesh produce bags I use for dry hopping but I don't know what those are temp rated to.

AA of my Saaz?? I don't know, haven't bought it yet but I'm assuming it's going to be around 4%.

I like the idea of using Magnum on the front end to bitter. I'm still building my recipe but I think it will look something like this. I'm taking influence from Jamils recipe here but resizing for my system. I'm not sure what to make out of the hop schedule as those values don't plug into Beersmith for me.

https://byo.com/article/bohemian-pilsener-style-profile/

11ish gallon batch!

20 Lbs pilsner malt.
.75 lbs Carapils.

3.0 oz Saaz @ 60 =17.8 IBU
2.0 oz Saaz @ 30 = 9.1 IBU
2.0 oz Saaz @ 10 = 4.3 IBU
1.0 oz Saaz @ 0 = 0 IBU

=31.5 IBU target

I could change the hops to this to take a couple oz out of the boil.

0.8 oz Magnum @ 60 =16.6 IBU
2.0 oz Saaz @ 30 = 9.1 IBU
2.0 oz Saaz @ 10 = 4.3 IBU
1.0 oz Saaz @ 0 = 0 IBU

=30.3 IBU target

Back