Cyzer back sweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayBeer

Reaction score
I have a Cyzer that has been aging for about 6 months. It has finally mellowed enough to where the hot alcohol taste is gone. It fermented dry to .998 and is at about 14%. I have a friend who made an Apple hooch, by throwing apples in a 55 gallon drum with water. He threw yeast on it and let it go for who knows how long. That fermented super sweet and tastes just like biting into a macintosh apple.

I would like to sweeten up my cyzer. He is willing to provide me with some of his hooch. Right now there is only a strong apple aroma and not much apple flavor. Would adding some of his hooch to my cyzer add noticeable sweetness? It is a 10 gallon batch and I only asked for a growler of his hooch. However I have broken it down into two 5 gallon batches. I'm kegging one and bottling the other still.

are your goal just to sweeten your stuff? are you carbonating? do you have an ABV on the hootch?

yeah my goal is to just sweeten it up. I ended up adding a quart of the hooch. It tasted great still, but when it carbed up in the keg it tasted like a dry champagne. I'm going to add some juice concentrate.

Back