Cyser safe to drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgraff804

Reaction score
I made a mead and cyser last year on my birthday. After 4 weeks in primary racked to secondary and didn't touch till now. Put them in the fridge to bottle tomorrow on my birthday The mead airlock still has positive pressure. The cyser does not. Should I bottle and drink the cyser?
IMG_20200802_211940410.jpg

Wow, that's a lot of headspace in those bottles.

Aside from the lack of pressure, are there any other reasons you're doubting the cyser? It looks pretty clear, doesn't seem to have any molds or clouds, so it could be fine. You could try popping it open, having a taste, and then going from there. If there are any "off" flavors, or fizziness, you might consider waiting longer.

Wow, that's a lot of headspace in those bottles.

Aside from the lack of pressure, are there any other reasons you're doubting the cyser? It looks pretty clear, doesn't seem to have any molds or clouds, so it could be fine. You could try popping it open, having a taste, and then going from there. If there are any "off" flavors, or fizziness, you might consider waiting longer.
Yeah, I debated about the headspace. Main concern was pressure. Everything else looked ok.

I agree with @ShadesManna the only way to tell if its OK is to visually inspect for some floating raft of fuzz, smell and taste it. If no floaties and taste is fine then bottle an enjoy.

Tasted and bottled the mead 1st. It was good to my uneducated palette. The questionable cyser turned out pretty good as well. I inspected it closely. Seemed very similar to the mead but darker in color. I tried them both, sweet but not crazy. I'm very happy with the final product. And getting drunked up
IMG_20200803_174445585.jpg

Back