cylinder exchange score!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acyl

Reaction score
I had my 5# green steel tank exchanged and scored a shiny silver aluminium one.
The exchange cost $14 though which I think is a bit higher than usual.

What do ya'll pay for an exchange?

I used to deal with a little mexican place that recently shut it's doors. They would charge 11 and change for a fill and that included tax. The next best price was Farrell and they were 14.05 a fill. Now I'm with Amerigas and they are closer to 12 for a fill. I don't do exchanges as that's a racket/ripoff.

$8 at airgas in my area. :)

I went to a family owned local place and they charged me $12 plus a hazmat fee... I dont think CO2 warrants a hazmat fee.

I used to deal with a little mexican place that recently shut it's doors. They would charge 11 and change for a fill and that included tax. The next best price was Farrell and they were 14.05 a fill. Now I'm with Amerigas and they are closer to 12 for a fill. I don't do exchanges as that's a racket/ripoff.

Amerigas? Are you talking about Propane? You might want to check what this thread is about.

pay about $18 for the 5 lb and $22 for the 20lb . So the 5er gets very little use. I have found that if you just ask the guy if they have aluminum tanks they are happy give you them for a steel tank. I think the steel tanks are used in garage's and commercial use more often the aluminum.

We dont do exchanges around here; refills ftw! (Means my nice looking tank stays nice looking). Ourdoors store fills 10# for $8

I found a new Aluminum 20lb tank online for $125 shipped. I just called the filling place and they said it costs $18 to fill a 5 pounder and $28 to fill a 20 pounder. How does that make sense?

it costs $18 to fill a 5 pounder and $28 to fill a 20 pounder. How does that make sense?

Because the fixed cost component (labour) is a great deal more expensive than the variable cost component (CO2). Or...because they can price however they want and you have to pay it!

I have found that if you just ask the guy if they have aluminum tanks they are happy give you them for a steel tank.

I also ask for an aluminum tank when I swap. If they have them they are happy to hook me up. Not sure exactly what I pay but it's no more then 15.00 for a 5lb

Took my beautiful NB brushed steel 20# tank to the local gas place for refill ($20 for 20#); they had just relocated and said they weren't set up to do a refill yet but why don't you just take this 20# full tank, don't worry about leaving your tank and don't worry about paying for the refill or leaving a deposit on the tank we're loaning you.

Kind of outfit that keeps you coming back :)

My place kinda sucks. I got a brand new 5# with my kegerator. I took it in to get it filled for the first time and they told me they don't fill them. I would either have to send it to Albuquerque and wait a week or just exchange my brand new tank for one of their filled used tanks. I ended up exchanging my new tank for a used but I needed the CO2 that day. Now I'm looking into upgrading to a 10lb if it will fit into my kegerator. They said they would basically let me trade in my 5lb for a 10lb plus about $50. I suppose that is a decent deal. Just need to make sure teh 10lb will fit.

My place kinda sucks. I got a brand new 5# with my kegerator. I took it in to get it filled for the first time and they told me they don't fill them. I would either have to send it to Albuquerque and wait a week or just exchange my brand new tank for one of their filled used tanks. I ended up exchanging my new tank for a used but I needed the CO2 that day. Now I'm looking into upgrading to a 10lb if it will fit into my kegerator. They said they would basically let me trade in my 5lb for a 10lb plus about $50. I suppose that is a decent deal. Just need to make sure teh 10lb will fit.

Sounds awesome! Not sure why you said they suck when they clearly want to make life easy for you.

$13.50 for my 5 lb exchange, (every 6th exchange free)
$18.20 for my 15 lb exchange.

Obviously the 5 lb is my "reserve" tank.

I don't know why people are so hung up on keeping "their" tank. A tank's a tank, and if you exchange you never have to worry about hydro tests. I got a free 15 lb tank from a friend, hydro test was 1978. Exchanged it for a nice full one for $18! As long as it has CO2, I don't care if it's not pretty.

I guess it isn't a big deal but when you have a brand new shiny tank who wants to trade it in for an old one? That is true about never having to have it tested. Also I suppose if the one I were using were to break or quit working I suppose I could trade it in for another with no questions asked. Now that i think about it, it's kinda like having a tank that will never need to be replaced at your expense. And yes. the part where they are willing to upgrade me to a larger tank is pretty nice of them. Although if I had done it when I had my brand new one, I would have gotten a better deal on the trade in. Now instead of getting the price of a new tank trade in I'll be getting the price of a used tank trade in.

Does anyone know the dimensions of a 20# tank and a 10# tank? My kegerator has a shelf inside of it to hold the CO2 tank and I'm wondering if I'll have room to switch from a 5# to a 10# or 20# I'm guessing the 20# will be way too big.

Back