cutting thermometer probe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie

Reaction score
question on the dial thermometers that everyone mounts to their kettle and HLTs....

the probe...can you cut it down if you need to clean something? Is it a solid metal piece? I have 2 of these and they are different lengths...is the length specific to the thermometer for calibration or just a random length of rod that needs to stick into the liquid?

I'm going to install a basket and the probe sticks in too far...I can plug the hole and go without but I kinda like a dial therm on the kettle.

maybe just look for a "stubby" one?

maybe just look for a "stubby" one?

yes. You cant cut the probe and have it still function. There is a twist of two metals inside the probe and the must stay intact up to the tip.

in a pinch you could use fittings on the outside of the bulkhead to decrease penetration into the kettle
bimetallic-thermometer.jpg

Yep. I just realized what an incredibly stupid idea.
Just went on eBay and found a SS bushing and female coupling to do just that...less than 2 bucks...problem solved...lol

Back