Cutting the Cord

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did that speed test. 15mbps. That's crappy, right?

It's not great, but it would be enough to run most wifi equipment, including Kodi. Obviously, faster is better. It might be a matter of just extending the range of your router/modem.

Edit: I tried a few methods of extending my wifi range like moving my router to the center of my house, and using an outlet plug in extender without any success. I finally was able to improve my range by buying a $10 used router on Amazon, and using it as a extender. It worked like a charm, here is a link to the video I used.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n3plXzZ1Ckc[/ame]

I got rid of cable a number of years ago. The only thing i miss really is the local news channel for up to the minute weather reports. Nothing i can find online compares to news14 (which is a local channel but owned by TWC) for updates during extreme weather (especially tornadoes). But aside from that i dont miss it one little bit.

As for internet speed i used to get 30mbps which wasnt that great for my usages but sufficed. Bit less than a year ago with google fiber coming to the area i got that bumped from 30 to 200 at no cost. Now i have more than i need. I still wouldnt mind fiber for the lower latency though.

PS: Im spoiled without commercials now. All my life growing up commercials were just what it was and you had to deal with. Now that i dont have to with commercials i get quickly irritated when im at someone elses house and actually have to listen to a commercial i have zero interest in hearing lol! It's like i seriously have to sit and listen to this crap? Get off my screen!

i cut the cord and it will be 2 years this April.

Bought all new Visio smart tvs in the process, but I am not one of those that "needs" a huge tv. so put the old 32" in one kids room for the old nintendo, then 2 new 28" visio and a 40" visio for the Living room. Went visio because it had all the smart features built in, and they do work nicely. Kitchen got a non-smart Samsung 28" that we had on a western digital streaming box, which sucked, upgraded it to Roku stick black friday, really works well.

Ew 28-40" tvs. I couldnt. I have a 60" that i couldnt live with for movie night anymore so i upgraded to 120" projection. The 60" still suffices for general watching though as i need to limit bulb hours on the projector.

We got rid of DirecTV a year ago and bought an OTA Tivo. There was a few hours a week of stuff we wanted to watch and a hundred hours of stuff sitting on our DirecTV DVR we watched if there was nothing else to watch. I figured out the payback was about 4 months. We have Netflix and Prime and did watch a lot on Netflix this summer because I was laid up. But for the large part, now if there's nothing to watch we turn off the TV. We aren't sports fans so that wasn't a consideration.

Now ironically a few months back I did take a basic package from Comcast because Gigabit internet was $20 cheaper with a Spanish language TV package than without. They sent me one free set top box which is still sitting sealed on a shelf in the basement.

I don't know if I posted upthread, but I switched from Sling to Hulu Live TV this year. Main reason was for Big Ten Network, as my Boilermakers are starting to actually be worth watching again.

Had three major requirements:

1) ESPN (and associated channels)
2) BTN
3) Food Network

Hulu covered all those at $40/mo. Since I was already paying $20 for Sling and $8 for Hulu's other service, coalescing into one only cost an additional $12/mo. That was worth it for me to add BTN, as well as a few other channels that came along with it that we watch.

Got off cable 20 years ago when we moved to the sticks and it wasn't available. I have an antenna in the attic and we're on the top of a hill so it gets great reception.

The area has been developed a lot so cable is available now, even sewer ... just like they have in the big cities! But as long as I can watch a few NFL games every weekend and the wife has her Netflix shows we aren't even tempted to get cable.

Have you checked Sling.com. I think they offer the NHL package. I'm not a hockey fan so I don't know who broadcasts the playoffs.

Im not super tech savvy.

I have antennae in attic to get local channels. Use a channel master box to convert the HD signal. Channel master also supports sling so I can access sling through the box. I like sling because I pretty much only watch college football. I activate sling in September and then cancel in January. No contract so it is easy to start and stop service.

I use magic jack for a land line. Only reason I keep a land line is for 911. If they ever figure out how to use the gps feature of cell phones for 911, I'll ditch the land line.

Use amazon prime for movies.

Since magic jack is voip. I have converted phone lines to Ethernet so I can hardware my devices
magic jack is still around??

" Actually AT&T have only themselves to blame as they allowed my land line to be slammed with additional costly features back in 2009 and refused to remove all of them when I contacted their customer service. They claim a salesperson came to my door, met with me, and I agreed to the services which is complete and total bullcrap. Therefore, bye bye forever you lying thieving monsters."
sounds like my 15 month dealings with Dish, they keep saying I owe them money for early quit. I rode out the last few months of time on idle (on direct payment plan too)and sent their equipment back 2 months AFTER our contract ended. They continue to harass me with phone calls and collections. they just wont go away.

I'm glad I found this thread. We live on top of a mountain in a small town in North Alabama. When we moved here we got the local fiberoptic and it was an outrageous $130/mo for a little more than the basic plan (still nothing to watch)and they made the landline mandatory for 911 ,$5 ,which we never hooked up because we didnt want the constant bother of junk calls.The best part of it was there was no contract, straight up month to month ,cancel anytime. We went to Direct and still have it (so far) currently paying $56 /mo with HBO and we also have Netflix basic ($6.99)again soon after we bought a 4k Visio smart tv a month ago. As I'm reading what the rest of you have I'm really considering as soon as our contract is up ( another year) I'd like to try cutting the cord . I'm just not all that tech savvy when it comes to tv electronics systems.

" Actually AT&T have only themselves to blame as they allowed my land line to be slammed with additional costly features back in 2009 and refused to remove all of them when I contacted their customer service. They claim a salesperson came to my door, met with me, and I agreed to the services which is complete and total bullcrap. Therefore, bye bye forever you lying thieving monsters."
sounds like my 15 month dealings with Dish, they keep saying I owe them money for early quit. I rode out the last few months of time on idle (on direct payment plan too)and sent their equipment back 2 months AFTER our contract ended. They continue to harass me with phone calls and collections. they just wont go away.

Contact your state Attorney General. This is the kind of thing they are there for.

I went from Direct TV to Sling two years ago. Went back to DTV for $50 a month (yes, they will lower the price significantly if you cancel). Going back to Sling this month. I tried Hulu live but the quality of the live streams wasn't up to HDTV quality. I have an HDTV antenna and can receive all of the local channels over the air so the local channels feature wasn't a big deal. Also, AMC is on Sling but not on Hulu live. My wife insisted on having AMC.

Contact your state Attorney General. This is the kind of thing they are there for.

I went from Direct TV to Sling two years ago. Went back to DTV for $50 a month (yes, they will lower the price significantly if you cancel). Going back to Sling this month. I tried Hulu live but the quality of the live streams wasn't up to HDTV quality. I have an HDTV antenna and can receive all of the local channels over the air so the local channels feature wasn't a big deal. Also, AMC is on Sling but not on Hulu live. My wife insisted on having AMC.

Not entirely true regarding DTV. I have had DTV on and off for the last 15 years. Switched between them and Uverse. My contract with DTV expired and they increased my bill to over $200 (incl internet via ATT). So I called to see about reducing but was told all they could do was knock off $25/mth. Opted to cancel. While I was on the chat with ATT they said Uverse was still offered and would be $60/mth. So went back with Uverse for 12 mths but after this contract I'll be cutting the cord and going with an HD antenna and either sling or hulu.

Not entirely true regarding DTV. I have had DTV on and off for the last 15 years. Switched between them and Uverse. My contract with DTV expired and they increased my bill to over $200 (incl internet via ATT). So I called to see about reducing but was told all they could do was knock off $25/mth. Opted to cancel. While I was on the chat with ATT they said Uverse was still offered and would be $60/mth. So went back with Uverse for 12 mths but after this contract I'll be cutting the cord and going with an HD antenna and either sling or hulu.

I can only report my experience with them. When I called to cancel the first time they offered me $50 per month for a 12 month contract plus a $200 visa card. They also offered the DTV streaming service. This was after they asked who I was going to use for service and I replied "Sling".

Two days ago when I called to cancel for the second time they offered me reduced pricing again. My package is/was the 240+ channel one. I don't know what it's called because it seems to me that they keep changing the name and some of the channels.

IMO DTV is a different company than they used to be. I didn't like how they kept increasing the price every few months. Mine went from around $80 per month to $127 per month in about a year. This was after att took over a few years ago.

I had DTV for T least 10 years. Over that time the price would go up, and I would call and complain, and they would drop the price again.

But eventually they refused to drop the price, and would try to charge me $75 for local channels only.

That’s when I decided to get an HD antenna for local channels. Haven’t missed it in 3 years.

I still have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and use Kodi. So I get plenty if movies. Plus Reddit is a good source for sports streaming.

Wow! I forgot about this thread!

I bought a NVIDIA Shield box about a year and a half ago ($150). Lots of power and buffer memory. I run Gears TV on it ($15 a month). Every channel, all movie channels, all sports packages, and all ppv fights. All clear hd. Best thing I ever did! You'll need at least 25mb internet speed for it to work quickly. Mine is 150, and streams flawlessly. You have to side load the Gears ap onto the box, but it's easy with the help of YouTube.

No dvr though. Just get one of those movie/tv aps and you'll be ok. Just have to wait a day for new tv shows.

Get some sort of private internet ap, or your internet provider will slow you down or cut you off. Lol!

Last edited:
I bought a NVIDIA Shield box about a year and a half ago ($150). Lots of power and buffer memory. I run Gears TV on it ($15 a month). Every channel, all movie channels, all sports packages, and all ppv fights. All clear hd. Best thing I ever did! You'll need at least 25gig internet speed for it to work quickly. Mine is 150, and streams flawlessly. You have to side load the Gears ap onto the box, but it's easy with the help of YouTube.

I think it should be made clear to the folks in this thread that a service like Gears is most assuredly piracy. It is certainly impossible for them to have obtained streaming rights to all of that content and still offer it at $15/month.

For most people, cutting the cord is about finding ways to get the content you desire through more affordable--and legal--channels.

Breaking the law to obtain everything at dirt-cheap prices is a wholly different matter, and one that probably shouldn't be discussed here.

I grew up without TV and it was easy when I moved out. I'm 39 with a family and we watch Amazon Prime from time to time.

Howdy!

Thought this might be of interest to some of you still on the fence. Back in 2013 I was subscribed to AT&T's Verse service at $120/mo. I did some research and found that with a decent antenna and a pre-amp I could pick up several TV signals. I think about 35-38 channels. I'm in the greater Sacramento area and have to "shoot" through a hill and 2 huge redwood trees that are in line of sight, but it works pretty damn well with the exception of high winds tend to mess with the weaker stations.

I got the antenna prior to cancelling my Uverse account so I could compare the two. It wasn't a comparison. Not only was the antenna signal considerably better looking on the channels with 1080i, but the antenna and pre-amp paid themselves off in two months. Bye-bye Uverse!

Since then we've picked up a Netflix and Amazon prime subscription which covers most of the bases for the family. I also bought 2 Silicondust HDHR twin tuners for around $100/ea, plugged them into a cheap switch I picked up at Goodwill for $5 and plugged them directly into an old computer running Win7 Media Center and a high end wi-fi card which allows me to record 4 shows at once (you can daisy chain the tuners), pause live TV and skip through commercials until you catch back up then stream them across the house.

I bought an app called VLC streamer which does the conversion and streams to your iphone or Apple TV via your home network.

Been pretty pleased with the setup for several years. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

I think it should be made clear to the folks in this thread that a service like Gears is most assuredly piracy. It is certainly impossible for them to have obtained streaming rights to all of that content and still offer it at $15/month.

For most people, cutting the cord is about finding ways to get the content you desire through more affordable--and legal--channels.

Breaking the law to obtain everything at dirt-cheap prices is a wholly different matter, and one that probably shouldn't be discussed here.

Thanks for the reply!

I think it should be made clear to the folks in this thread that you are making an assumption. ;)

There have been countless arguments around the world about what is and is not piracy. There is still no conclusion in the U.S. on the matter in regards to streaming content. Downloading content is illegal and should not be done. Uploading streams of protected material is illegal. Watching streams is still a grey area... for now.

As for GearsTV, internet television is legal to stream. Is it illegal for the provider to offer all of the content? I am not sure, but I'm sure Gears' lawyers know. They would be the ones to negotiate rights for the content, and fight any litigation. Gears advertises openly online, and expresses the service is 100% legal, including in the fine print of their disclaimer. You are required to pay for the service, unlike people who use Kodi for free. Although kodi isn't very reliable or of good qualiiy most of the time.

Gears has been around for multiple years with no litigation or it's service being shut down. Maybe now that net neutrality has been squashed, lobbyist will start to press more streaming regulations. In a year from now, this type of service may very well be illegal to view. Maybe.

Don't get me wrong. I really do understand your point of view. I do. There are many things legal that I feel should be illegal, and vice versa... but those decisions are not up to me. That is up to the government to hash out... if it can ever pass anything anytime soon. I doubt it. LOL!!!

Thanks for reading!

Howdy!

Thought this might be of interest to some of you still on the fence. Back in 2013 I was subscribed to AT&T's Verse service at $120/mo. I did some research and found that with a decent antenna and a pre-amp I could pick up several TV signals. I think about 35-38 channels. I'm in the greater Sacramento area and have to "shoot" through a hill and 2 huge redwood trees that are in line of sight, but it works pretty damn well with the exception of high winds tend to mess with the weaker stations.

I got the antenna prior to cancelling my Uverse account so I could compare the two. It wasn't a comparison. Not only was the antenna signal considerably better looking on the channels with 1080i, but the antenna and pre-amp paid themselves off in two months. Bye-bye Uverse!

Since then we've picked up a Netflix and Amazon prime subscription which covers most of the bases for the family. I also bought 2 Silicondust HDHR twin tuners for around $100/ea, plugged them into a cheap switch I picked up at Goodwill for $5 and plugged them directly into an old computer running Win7 Media Center and a high end wi-fi card which allows me to record 4 shows at once (you can daisy chain the tuners), pause live TV and skip through commercials until you catch back up then stream them across the house.

I bought an app called VLC streamer which does the conversion and streams to your iphone or Apple TV via your home network.

Been pretty pleased with the setup for several years. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

What antenna/pre-amp did you get? Is it a roof-top or something inside? With a decent one, at the right price, I'd like to see what I can get OTA.

What antenna/pre-amp did you get? Is it a roof-top or something inside? With a decent one, at the right price, I'd like to see what I can get OTA.

The pre-amp is a winegard AP-8275. My original antenna was a Antennacraft HBU33. Looks like they discontinued that model. It worked great but I wanted to try a newer rectangular design that was more aesthetically pleasing (wife request). https://www.solidsignal.com/m/product.aspx?p=hbu33

Antenna is rated for 40-60 miles. Hell if your in the Sacramento area I’d be game to bring my old one over and let you give it a try. If your home has tile roofing you will have to go outside the attic. The tile attenuates the signal and the heat in an attic will shorten the life span of the pre-amp.

One resource I found valuable was tvfool.com. It uses google maps and your address to estimate what channels you can get.

I've never had a cord, at least not until recently. I have xfinity, and my most recent contract update was cheaper to do a 2x double play - saved $10 a month, have 250mbs down and basic cable and hbo go. New contract time, I think for same price or less I'll be getting a bunch more channels.

The pre-amp is a winegard AP-8275. My original antenna was a Antennacraft HBU33. Looks like they discontinued that model. It worked great but I wanted to try a newer rectangular design that was more aesthetically pleasing (wife request). https://www.solidsignal.com/m/product.aspx?p=hbu33

Antenna is rated for 40-60 miles. Hell if your in the Sacramento area I’d be game to bring my old one over and let you give it a try. If your home has tile roofing you will have to go outside the attic. The tile attenuates the signal and the heat in an attic will shorten the life span of the pre-amp.

One resource I found valuable was tvfool.com. It uses google maps and your address to estimate what channels you can get.

Thanks for the offer NGD, but not really all that close to Sacramento. We do indeed have a tile roof so I guess having one in the attic is out, and I don't want a roof-top antenna. I currently have Directv Now streaming service which is meeting most of our needs so I guess I'll just stick with that.

Thanks for the offer NGD, but not really all that close to Sacramento. We do indeed have a tile roof so I guess having one in the attic is out, and I don't want a roof-top antenna. I currently have Directv Now streaming service which is meeting most of our needs so I guess I'll just stick with that.

Sure thing. The antenna deal isn’t the way to go for everyone. People that like sports I generally recommend stay away from cutting the cord. It can be done but its a PITA.

Not so much for yourself, but for anyone else interested in cutting the cord but worried about having a big boom antenna on the roof or eves like back in the day..antenna designs have come a long way. In order to appease HOAs (which can’t force you take an antenna down last I checked) they have much more compact designs including ones that look like a small sat dish. Here is an example of one of the newer designs with a built in preamp https://www.solidsignal.com/m/product.aspx?p=FL6550A

Thanks for the reply!

I think it should be made clear to the folks in this thread that you are making an assumption. ;)

Yes. I am assuming that the source of these streams have not paid the content owners carriage fees and do not have the rights to distribute.

There have been countless arguments around the world about what is and is not piracy. There is still no conclusion in the U.S. on the matter in regards to streaming content. Downloading content is illegal and should not be done. Uploading streams of protected material is illegal. Watching streams is still a grey area... for now.

Agreed. It is not yet 100% clear whether it is illegal to watch streams. However, actually being the entity streaming the content that you don't own the rights to is illegal.

As for GearsTV, internet television is legal to stream. Is it illegal for the provider to offer all of the content? I am not sure, but I'm sure Gears' lawyers know. They would be the ones to negotiate rights for the content, and fight any litigation. Gears advertises openly online, and expresses the service is 100% legal, including in the fine print of their disclaimer. You are required to pay for the service, unlike people who use Kodi for free. Although kodi isn't very reliable or of good qualiiy most of the time.

Gears doesn't stream TV. They basically act as a "finder" for those streams that are provided externally. Essentially the difference between Gears and Kodi is that you're paying Gears to find you high quality streams.

I can basically guarantee, even though it's an assumption, that Gears has not negotiated rights for this content. HBO standalone costs $15/mo. You think Gears actually has rights to distribute HBO content?

Gears has been around for multiple years with no litigation or it's service being shut down. Maybe now that net neutrality has been squashed, lobbyist will start to press more streaming regulations. In a year from now, this type of service may very well be illegal to view. Maybe.

Gears may be in a legal gray area as they don't actually stream the content themselves. They merely help you easily find it. However, a similar service, Set TV, recently shut down after getting sued by the content owners.

Don't get me wrong. I really do understand your point of view. I do. There are many things legal that I feel should be illegal, and vice versa... but those decisions are not up to me. That is up to the government to hash out... if it can ever pass anything anytime soon. I doubt it. LOL!!!

It's illegal to stream / redistribute content you don't own the rights to. If it weren't illegal to do so, don't you think Netflix / Hulu's / Amazon's streaming catalogs would be MUCH larger?

There's no way that whoever is the actual source point of these streams has legitimate rights to them, or they would charge accordingly. $15/month would not be enough to keep the lights on. Thus, I can reasonably assume that much of the content being consumed is illegal, at least for the person delivering the stream.

Is it illegal for Gears to be the one helping you find those illegal streams? Is it illegal for you as the consumer to watch them? That much I can't quite answer.

But you're certainly not consuming content that the streamer has legitimate rights to deliver.

About 8x faster ;)

Not necessarily... I'm not sure if cable companies use 8b/10b encoding on their signals, or something similar. That's common in data transmission.

If they're using 8b/10b, that means that each byte of data [8 bits] actually takes 10 bits to transmit. So it wouldn't be a direct 8x ratio between transmission rate and data rate.

This is one reason they may be quoting speeds in Mbps rather than MB/s. It allows them to hide their encoding scheme so they don't get sued when the data rates aren't exactly 1/8x the transmission rate.

Or they just quote Mbps because the number is higher. Which also makes sense ;-)

I have thought about ditching DISH for years! My SWMBO is hesitant because of the DVR ability. Do you guys have any insight about being able to use some of the other options out there and still have DVR? Or are all the options internet based and you can search for anything you want at any time? I am personally not much of a TV watcher but she likes to DVR stuff and watch it whenever. She also loves watching football. I like it but since all the controversy and all the drama BS I am kind of over it.
HELP?

Cheers
Jay

I have thought about ditching DISH for years! My SWMBO is hesitant because of the DVR ability. Do you guys have any insight about being able to use some of the other options out there and still have DVR? Or are all the options internet based and you can search for anything you want at any time? I am personally not much of a TV watcher but she likes to DVR stuff and watch it whenever. She also loves watching football. I like it but since all the controversy and all the drama BS I am kind of over it.
HELP?

Cheers
Jay

There are many options available nowdays from internet and tv providers, especially if you have a smart tv. One example is Sling. You download the app to your tv, and all content is split up into packages. Choose the package that woks best for you. You don't have to pay for 250 channels that you never watch anymore, and you also don't have to pay to rent a box from them too. (I believe Sling will provide you a box for free too if you don't have a smart tv.) Many of these new apps have free on demand instead of needing a dvr too. As for sports, it's probably slim offerings.

From what I've heard, Sling is the best one right now. I think it's owned by AT&T. There's also no contract, so you can try it for little investment and see if it works for you. You can probably negotiate for the best pricing too. Google "sling tv" and see.

Edit: Wow! I just reread what I wrote, and it sounds like a sales pitch! LOL!

No affiliation at all! :)

There are many options available nowdays from internet and tv providers, especially if you have a smart tv. One example is Sling. You download the app to your tv, and all content is split up into packages. Choose the package that woks best for you. You don't have to pay for 250 channels that you never watch anymore, and you also don't have to pay to rent a box from them too. (I believe Sling will provide you a box for free too if you don't have a smart tv.) Many of these new apps have free on demand instead of needing a dvr too. As for sports, it's probably slim offerings.

From what I've heard, Sling is the best one right now. I think it's owned by AT&T. There's also no contract, so you can try it for little investment and see if it works for you. You can probably negotiate for the best pricing too. Google "sling tv" and see.

Edit: Wow! I just reread what I wrote, and it sounds like a sales pitch! LOL!

No affiliation at all! :)
Sling is owned by Dish Network. AT&T owns DirecTV (satellite), and Directv Now (streaming). I have Directv Now, which competes with Sling. Both have their pros and cons. Anyone considering cutting the cord should really do their homework. Start by making a mental list of price; must haves; nice to haves; and not interested. Then see how each match up against your list. Also, check your cable company too...mine began offering a streaming service much like Sling, Directv Now, etc. Might be worth looking into since they likely also bundle your internet service with it.

HELP?

Cheers
Jay

Go here tvfool.com
Enter in your address and an approximate heigh of your eves.
You’ll have a decent idea of what channels you can receive via an antenna.

Sling and similar services are decent, but they still add up. Like most streaming services, if you want to watch certain things its an extra monthly fee. At least with Sling it appears they offer “cloud” streaming, which is great so long as your internet never has an issue and your home network and broadband is fast enough.

As stated earlier, recording from an antenna is doable. I currently can record 4 shows at once from Over the Air TV. If the SWMBO likes to catch all the action via ESPN then your likely better off with what you have.

One thing is for certain, there are plenty of ways to view shows now.

Ok, first things first... Football. With the controversy/drama I'm guessing she watches NFL. If she watches NFL, that means you need your local channels, as the Sunday games (and some Thursday) are broadcast over the major networks. So your first thing is to figure out if/how you can get locals.

And there's your problem. Your profile says Redding CA. That's not exactly close to a major metropolitan area. So a quick search at TV Fool for a random address in Redding says you've got ABC/PBS/NBC transmitters pretty close, but CBS/FOX about 50 miles away. Note: it lists channels 3, 6, 8, and 16 as being nearby, but doesn't identify if those are networks. If one of those is CBS and another is FOX, you're good and can probably get by with an indoor antenna. If not, you need to figure out whether an antenna solution can pick up everything given that the ABC/PBS/NBC are not the same direction as the CBS/FOX, and you'll need a directional antenna for CBS/FOX.

Then, you start looking beyond locals. If she wants Monday Night Football, or if she watches college football, you pretty much need ESPN. So you need one of the streaming services.

If an antenna will get you your locals, then Sling is the least costly solution. They offer a cloud DVR, so you can record, and they also offer a lot of VOD programming, so it's not like you really *need* the cloud DVR necessarily.

If you can't find an antenna solution, you need to look at whether Hulu, DirecTV Now, YoutubeTV, etc offer locals in your area. Sling doesn't offer locals, so you'd be SOL there if you can't get an antenna. But I'm not sure whether those others will offer locals in a place like Redding, as I'm not sure whether your locals are considered "local" or whether they're retransmitted from Sacramento or something. So you'll need to figure that out.

Finally, you need to make a list of "must have" programs, and what channels they're on. Once you know whether you need locals or not (and whether you need to stream locals), and what programs/channels are absolutely required, you can look at the channel lineups for the streaming services, and pick the least costly one that meets your needs.

For me, it was Hulu. Although Hulu does offer locals, I have an antenna as well, so I didn't need it. But I really wanted the Big Ten Network and Food Network. Sling didn't offer BTN, YouTube TV didn't offer Food Network, and DirecTV Now was the most expensive of the bunch if I wanted BTN. So I ended up with Hulu.

WOW! Thank you all for the comprehensive insight! You all REALLY have me thinking at this point. I am going to start with my list of MUST, maybe and can live with out and then get started on the rest of my research!

Thanks ALL!!

Cheers
Jay

Last year was canceling Dish after MANY years (installed my first dish myself from a Radio Shack kit!). I am not sure what we were paying at the time, but a $30 Sling account seemed to be a decent price. Dish cut my bill to $80, then, because of my many years of loyalty reduced it even further down to $40 a month. Slightly lower package than we currently had, but still all of the channels I really needed (Fox Sports Detroit, CW, and a few others) And I got to keep the DVR function! Guy told me to contact him personally to renew when the discount expired.

So, this year it's time. However, Hulu Live TV is SERIOUSLY making this difficult! Most all of my channels, but I can watch in any room, on any device (Like my PHONE!!) Only concern is video quality. First test there was some cutting in and out while 2 others were streaming on my network. This should not be a concern due to the bandwidth we have, but my next test was much better. I'm not positive it's quite as good as a true HD signal from the Dish, but very decent.

One other issue: On my Roku TV I could not watch the Lions game on Sunday. It was fine on my phone and computer, but there was something about the TV that wouldn't update the Location, so I got FoxNet instead of Fox17, my (supposed) local channel. Support said to re-install the app and restart the TV. It verified my station should have been correct. So hopefully that will work itself out.

I may pay for 1 month of Hulu Live before really deciding on switching. I do like the image quality from the Dish (unless it's really snowing, raining, or blowing. The HD satellite is WAY less reliable than the old satellite.) But if I can get HD on other devices, that may be worth it. Currenlty I only have 1 HD tuner. The other TVs get SD, and trust me, it's not nearly as nice for hockey! (or much of anything else...)

So, yeah, Hulu Live kind of looks like a decent deal. I might need to upgrade if we end up upgrading our current account. The kid who is in college might screw up our location.

Gonna necro this thread instead of starting a new one.

Is there a workaround to watch new AMC episodes if all I have is Hulu plus Live and Prime? It looks like you need a cable provider (or a few different streaming services but not Hulu) to get AMC Premiere. You can't pay for AMC Premiere a la carte for some reason.

Back