Cutting shank shorter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zolakk

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a shank that it a few inches too long for my setup and I was thinking that I could just cut it shorter instead of buying a whole new one at the shorter size and searching appears to not bring up anything. Are there any issues to be aware of or can I just cut it with a saw with a metal cutting blade?

you need a cut thats 90 degrees to the threads and a good sealing area. a nut threaded on the shank before the cut to clean up the treads is a good idea.

I'd try to do it on a abrasive disk miter/chop saw (new blade with no contamination).

A new SS shank might be cheaper than a new blade.

If this is a solid stainless shank your going to have a hard time cutting it without a lathe. If this is a chromed shank you can cut them with ease... But you will need to make sure its cut square or at least close so the gasket will seal it up..... I have cut several without issue. Make sure you put the nut on it before you get to work on it.

Cheers
Jay

Why not use some sort of spacer(s) on the back side of it to take up the extra length?

Yah, it's a stainless shank so instead of risking the shank I was able to finagle my tower design to get it to barely fit. Still good advice though, thanks!

Back