cutting recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happycrabster

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been answered, I'm new at site navigation.

Someone mentioned making a one gallon batch of something or other and the general concensus was yes, with only a gallon you wont lose much if it isn't any good...

Can 5 gallon recipes simply be divided to make smaller batches? I've been warned against doing this for some food recipes (I've been *Banned from the Kitchen* for some of those recipes). Dividing wouldn't affect the fermenting and finishing times, would it?

Tony

A gallon of beer will probably take the same time as a 5 gallon batch if not longer. The 5 gallon batch will have more thermal insulation so will have an higher internal temp than the 1 gallon, but it depends if you have managed a better aeration on the 1 gallon and weather you adjust the yeast pitch rate.

There are tools, software, websites that will scale the recipe for you.

I guess most people who do this would probably do it from experience.

If you want to do small batches, I'd cut them in half to 2.5 gallons. That way, you'll at least net a case, instead of only nine or ten bottles. As Orfy says, it's the same amount of work - and as you'll learn quickly, homeb rew really DOESN'T last as long as you would think (especially if you start sharing with your buddies).

True, true. Even though my first batch is still in the secondary for another week or so, I've already got several volunteer Quality Control Assistants, all willing to take a hit for the team!
Thanks!
Tony

The one thing I would not cut down is the yeast. Leave that the same. The extra yeast will just help it go faster and cleaner.

Back