cut the tip of each bine off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 108580

Reaction score
So my trellis isn't as tall as it should be. It's only about 10ft (hard to rig up something 20 ft in my backyard).

What do I do when the top of the bine reaches the top of the trellis string? Will cutting the tip stop growth? Will that damage the plant? Let the thing grow however it wants?

I was wondering the same and after I did a quick search on here I decided to let it go as suggested in other threads. Some will recommend wrapping it back down. I kind of did that as well. I think when you cut it off it will only start growing side-"arms". Not sure when it will stop growing but some of my 1st year hops are already producing cones.

2013-06-21%2007.55.25.jpg

2013-06-19%2008.00.31.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it clipping the tip of the bine. If you do clip the growing tip your bine will just throw out side arms, which will help it to get bushier at the bottom, but will also divert energy resources to those sidearms for growth. Leave the bine be and it will eventually stop growing on its own.

Back