Custard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shine

Reaction score
Just went on a little trip to Western Australia to a brewery called Duckstein and had a totally awesome custard cider. I have no idea how they made it and there was no brewer on site to point me in the right direction. Any thoughts? Apple juice... spices.... lactose(?).... I'm looking for a recipe. This stuff rocked!

Can you describe what it tasted like?

From the name, it sounds like maybe vanilla. Or possibly aged in oak? I don't know if aging apples in oak imparts vanilla like wine or not.

There was definitely some vanilla and various other spices but it was smooth. It had a sort of creamy flavor that reminded me of milk and made me think lactose, but I don't have much more than that.

Part of it could also be the yeast strain:

"Lalvin Simi-White : This is a popular choice for fruity white and rosé style wines. It can achieve 14% alcohol at 59-86° F. It is prized for its ester-producing aroma and flavor contribution to Chardonnay and has been described as contributing creamy fruit. It is highly affected by nutrient composition and juice handling procedures and has a tendency to produce a lot of foam."

Regards, GF.

I tasted this the other day, I'm guessing that there is some custard apples in the recipe to give it the taste, texture and part of the name.

Back