Curling- anyone play?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there's a league about 5 miles from my house. oldest club in america apparently. they're building a brand new house with 5 sheets. opens in two years. unfortunately, it's about 10 miles from my house :)

i'm thinking of joining next spring.

well i've been playing for a few weekends.

it's a blast. wish I found it sooner.

couple things that surprised me:

1. takeouts curl a lot more than you'd think.
2. it's harder to get a really fast takeout stone than i thought.
3. my knee dragging on the ice is starting to bother me quite a bit.
4. the ice changes dramatically over the course of a game

really fun stuff. too bad the season's over after march. oh well, trackdays will keep me occupied until october....

no kidding. hopefully i'll have the cash come fall to join up. 2 kids, a wife, a house, and two other extremely expensive hobby might keep me away...

1st year dues will probably be manageable. but 2nd year and beyond dues are 50% more :eek:

bonspiel this weekend, can't wait!

The people at the Curling Center at Fairland are very nice. Used to go watch after dropping off our son for Friday Night skate. Yes, there is beer there, and wings and lots of people and all skill levels.

thread revive!!

joined curling for the second half of the season. couldn't join the first half cause i crashed my would-be race bike and it cost money to put it back together....

Our annual dues to the club cover all league fees and unlimited access to the soda fountain and the 4 beer taps. If you want popcorn, that costs an extra quarter.

good lord that's awesome. what are your dues, if you don't mind me asking? Milwaukee club (located in Mequon) is actually part of a local private golf club, so drinks are expensive....as well as dues....

anyway, curling is awesome

yeah, lots of fun. my dad signed up as well. we aren't on the same team, which is good i think. it's a skip-draft league, so teams are usually pretty even. there's usually tons of open ice time to practice every week as well.

great way to pass the winter. i only signed up for wednesday league, but wish i signed up for thursday as well. i'm on the sub list for monday and thursday, so that's probably enough

two years we should have a brand new 5-sheet clubhouse, which is exciting.

good lord that's awesome. what are your dues, if you don't mind me asking?

There are a variety of "special" dues categories for students, seniors, competitive (a.k.a. professional) but for most people it goes:
Regular Member: $375.00
Second Year Member: $325.00
First Year Member: $300.00​

So the way I pitch it to my buddies is the club is open for about 24 weeks. For first year membership, that's $12.5/week. Is there anyone that can go out to the bar and spend less than $12.5? I don't think so. Therefore, pay your dues, sign up 1 night per week and all your paying for is the drinking with the curling for free! Currently on tap is Point Amber, something from Abita, Berghoff dark and something a little more commercial. If a major brewery sponsors and event, we have to put their beer on tap for a while.

yeah, lots of fun. my dad signed up as well. we aren't on the same team, which is good i think. it's a skip-draft league, so teams are usually pretty even. there's usually tons of open ice time to practice every week as well.

great way to pass the winter. i only signed up for wednesday league, but wish i signed up for thursday as well. i'm on the sub list for monday and thursday, so that's probably enough

two years we should have a brand new 5-sheet clubhouse, which is exciting.
Wow, open ice time would be awesome. The Madison Curling club is 6 sheets but the only time you can find guaranteed open ice time is midnight until 7 am. Otherwise, ice maintenance is 8 to noon and leagues start at 4:00. Afternoons are often booked for local high schools or old men leagues. Weekends is juniors, make up games and open houses if there isn't a bonspiel.

So that's the club at the Ozaukee Country Club, right? A buddy showed me the drawings for the new club. Pretty nice 5 sheeter, but it didn't look like there was enough room for drinking and watching the games.

yeah, ozaukee. like i said, i just joined, so I don't have a good feel for it yet, but it seems that its more of an older club, and probably not near as many members as madison's. I don't really know the scale of the floorplans, but it seems like there'll be enough room. we generally don't have many onlookers. maybe bonspiels would be tight, but they'd probably set up tables in the meeting room area.

http://www.milwaukeecurlingassociation.org/_admin/upload-area/files/newfacility/floor-plan.pdf

open ice time is mostly mornings and weekends, but it seems like it'd be easy to find an hour to throw rocks if you needed it. our leagues start at 6pm

oh, i have a question:

why the heck does every club name their leagues?

Curlers like to name leagues and tournaments after dead or nearly dead guys. They are usually founding members, someone that gave a lot of money or someone that died tragically. The one exception in our club was some guy named Fowler. He was supposed be an incredibly heavy drinker, so they have the Fowler Manspiel. Its open to men only over the age of 21. We curl, drink beer and eat any meat that comes in a can or needs an immediate Tums chaser. Its an awesome 3 days.

No, only free beer and soda. Though we do have bourbon night, whiskey night, etc. where everyone chips in $5 and we get several bottles of varying quality to to a tasting with.

Yeah, I'm really in it for the exercise.

took part in our intermural curling league this fall. the scots have given us two very relaxing games that can be enjoyed along with a beer or ten, golf and curling.

the game is confusing as heck but it is so much fun. i think my favorite part is just yelling at everyone. pretty sure we were the loudest team on the ice. i guess duluth, mn has a great curling tradition so its cool to be a part of it.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 3 hours till i'm on the ice

we play my dad's team tonight. lol. we're both leads, I need to make sure i'm the one buying....

Sounds fun! Curling was the only sport I liked to watch during the Olympics. I looked but there is (not surprisingly) only one club in FL and its hours away. I'll just enjoy watching when I can find it on TV. I guessing it would be a good idea to have a few beers for those playing.

Back