Curious about using home grown hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gridlocked

Reaction score
I'm not worried about this batch, but curious to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I brewed my first batch where I used my home-grown hops. I had about 12oz of Cascade and 1oz Chinook. The grain bill (5 gallon) was: 11lbs American Two Row, 1lb Golden Promise, 1lb Caramel 80L, and 1/2lb Carapils. The batch went smoothly and I had a starting gravity of 1049.

I suppose I should have used a hop bag but I dumped them right into the kettle and the boil submerged them. I could not use my pot spigot because the leaves clogged the thing so I dumped the batch from the kettle to a pail lined with a strainer and then into the carboy with a funnel.

I'm curious about two things: the color/aesthetic of the beer and the ferment. It was an orange color and unbelievably cloudy. Cloudy like when you put liquid creamer into a cup of coffee. The karusen on top had a very orange top crust. I have had very good luck sprinkling Safle US05 yeast directly on top of my wort, and that's what I did this time. I had airlock action within 12 hours but it slowed considerably after about 24 hrs. I will take a gravity reading tomorrow, so I can't offer that yet, but has anyone had an experience like this when home grown leaf hops are used?

As of tonight, the cloudyness is starting to drop out, and it smelled good when it was fermenting, I'm just wondering why it was so cloudy in the first place. ALSO, I'm going to add some gelatin to the keg so even more of it settles out, but I'm just curious.

1st hop addition:
164781_497089823845_596098845_5977349_2129803_n.jpg

And the last:
167505_497089903845_596098845_5977351_7979659_n.jpg

It is the beer right here \/
165688_497089728845_596098845_5977346_3975541_n.jpg

166879_497090188845_596098845_5977358_3471070_n.jpg

I was lucky enough to be able to brew 3 batches in 24 hours. The other two had just been pitched so they were not going yet. About 12 hours after I took these, they were going NUTS and ended up blowing off both air locks. Nothing says happy new year like cleaning porter off of the ceiling of the shower. :cross: Blow off tubes were ordered today. Yeah, I don't normally use a 5 gal as a primary, but my 6.5 carboy and 6 gal better bottle were in use. I didn't even think about using the pail that I got with my kit.

Did you use 13 oz of hops? That is a very large amount and the orange is probably resin or something. It could be all that oil is inhibiting the yeast.

As an aside, your efficiency seems very low (51%).

Great pictures!

Actually, if these were wet hops, 13oz wouldn't be too weird.

If these were freshly harvest and not dried, could the orange color just be lupulin?

That's a lovely pot of brussels sprouts you have there, in all seriousness that's a lot of whole hops to put in a batch unless they were wet.

Well all the hops fit into the kettle, sounds like a good amount to me :)

Was thinking about it last night and the color is supposed to be copperish so it resembles the color but maybe all the plant matter in there is causing it to be a bit milky in appearance.

Update with some pics after a couple weeks in primary and keg with gelatin and all should be good.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Yes, I used thirteen ounces of hops. THIRTEEN. :mug: These hops were good and dry. I had considered that the color may be from the lupulin, but wasn't sure.

Because of the aroma of the cones, I wasn't sure how the flavor would turn out with the home grown hops so I went all or nothing and dumped in my entire harvest for my "Home Grown (mostly) Cascade IPA"

Wow, I didn't realize my efficiency was THAT low. I'll have to look into that. I'm a fairly new all-grain brewer and was doing about 10 other things while I was brewing that batch and I didn't do the math yet.

Well, since I don't have a good scale, it could have been more like 14 or 20 ounces... Kidding.. But really, it's not an absurd amount considering I was trying to make an IPA. I've made batches using thirteen ounces of PELLET hops and it was absolutely awesome.

HA! Yeah, that was the first addition. I was so impressed that I had to snap a picture before I stirred them in.

Mysticmead, the first sentence of the thread notes that I wasn't at all worried about it I was just wondering if anyone had seen such a cloudy beer from home-grown hops. Its still amazing to me that people are so blown away about the addition of ~13oz leaf hops... I could have added just a few ounces and not achieved what I wanted to do with this batch - to get a solid idea of what my hops taste like.

No, I didn't have any room in my fridge when it came time to package the beer so I bottled it and have just let it settle out and pour carefully. There is a bit more sediment than a normal batch but I'm happy with it. There is almost no malt quality to the beer which makes it extremely unbalanced but that's ok. My cousin called it an extremely hoppy Miller Light which I thought was funny. But, even my wife likes it which says something.

HA HA! Well, thank you! HA!
I can E-mail you a high-res pic if you want, PM me if you'd like it.
:mug:

Back