Crystal 120 vs. Special B

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pschof

Reaction score
I am making a big (11%) brown ale that I expect to be sweet and have a lot of body. I am planning on putting in either 2 lbs of crystal 120 or special B. Does anyone have thoughts on what the potential upside or downside of one versus the other might be, or how different these two might taste in large quantities? Thanks.

I am no expert at these two malts, but I think special B is 180L so it's darker and reported to provide a more raisin like flavor vs more smokiness in Crystal 120.

Wow, 2 lbs is a lot of any specialty malts.

To me Special B has a kind of biscuit flavor in addition to the intense caramel/raisin. I couldn't imagine two pounds of that in any recipe. It's a pretty strong flavor IMO.

Is there any reason you can't mix a few malts instead of doing two pounds of just one?

Does the poundage matter? I thought what mattered was the percentage of the grain bill? To get to 11%, you need a lot of grain.

An 11% Brown will have difficulty avoiding turning into a Barley wine. The style really doesn't scale past 6-7%. I wouldn't use Special B in a Brown. It's flavor is okay in a Barley Wine. You might consider a pound of C120L and a pound of C80L.

What other specialty grains are you considering?

There was thread on here a while back about palo santo marron. someone watched a video about it and wrote down what went into it. basically PSM is kind of like a brown-colored stout. it gets a lot of "crystal" (it didn't say which kind), some wheat, a little chocolate and a tiny bit of black patent. I am not looking to replicate PSM exactly, but was using that recipe as a starting point for messing around a little.

oh man, I love PSM. was there any more details to that recipe?

Give it be, its been awhile since I've had it, but I can't imagine there being 2lbs of C120 or special B in it, not just on a flavor basis, but SRM as well.

According to DFH website, 50 IBU, 12% ABV. Good luck finding the palo santo wood chips to soak on ;)

Turned out pretty good. Still young, but, I think, pretty close to PSM. I threw an ounce of Palo Santo chips in the secondary for 3 weeks.

What recipe did you finally decide on. Kudos to you for going ahead with the brew even though you got some "less than encouraging" feedback.

Special B is 115L. I like it better than crystal 120L for the aroma. It smells awesome! :drunk:

I absolutely love this beer. What was your final recipe? And are there any changes you would make to get it closer to PSM? Or even better and why?

Hey! I'm brewing a beer for my brother's birthday, I think he'd like something like a big brown ale, care to share your recipe?

I wouldn't use Special B in a Brown.

I would and did. That beer just won a second place ribbon in a local competition. Used a pound of Special B, a quarter pound C120 and a quarter pound pale chocolate in the grain bill.

Back