Crushing grains with Corona mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breewboy

Reaction score
Hello,

I got a Corona mill a few weeks ago and was trying to crush with it today, Had some crushed grain for reference(store bought).

What do you think?

Attachments

• Crush(1).jpg
    Crush(1).jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Crush.jpg
    Crush.jpg
    580.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Store(1).jpg
    Store(1).jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Store.jpg
    Store.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 51
Looks like there might be some un-crushed in there, but it's hard to tell. If you are doing brew in a bag then crank it down more. If you are using traditional, too fine a crush puts you at risk for a stuck sparge. Too coarse and you lose efficiency. It's tough to really dial in a corona mill to crush, they are designed to make flour.

I agree. I’ve been using my corona mill for a decade and love it. But def you need a tighter crush but as previous poster warned you take it to far and you’ll get a stuck sparge for sure which isn’t the end of the world but just a headache to deal with. Enjoy!

That's a good price. I recently bought a 3 roller Maltmuncher but have yet to use it. It was more than $40. The holidays have kept me from working on my brew station setup

I have seen the thread and i will do some of the mods in there but will try crushing some grains first.

Check out this thread for suggestions on making the most out of your Corona mill. My whole mill setup cost about $40 and an hour or so in the garage.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station.90849/

I tightened it, crushed some grains and did a brew, efficiency was lower than the recipe called for so i need to tighten it some more.

Other than the convenience mods such as building it into a bucket and adding a shroud to keep dust down, the more important mods will directly affect efficiency and consistency:

Replacing, or as I did, just loosening the outer plate's retaining pin so that plate can freely move.

Being sure the outer plate runs parallel to the static plate. It should do this automatically with the first achieved.

Adding washers to the two bolts holding the bracket so they may be fully tightened down. The bracket shouldn't move or loosen at all.

These small improvements will allow you to run the mill with the plates near touching. In practice, my plates do touch unless there's grain running through them to force them open.

Back