crushing grains( im in a pickle)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choffon

Reaction score
i know this topic has been beat to death but i left my lhbs forgetting to get my grain crushed. Ive been searching through threads and most ppl have mixed feelings on a corona mill....is there any kind of grain mill that any local department stores sell seeing how the lhbs are closed. and i would just buy one off amazon but i was gonna be brewing tonight or first thing in the morning and need something asap.

If you get desperate, you can use a rolling pin to crush a little at a time. I haven't personally done it (and hopefully never will) but I have read that it works when you have no other option. Other than that, I don't really know. Sorry :(

its not like im doing a big grain bill....so i might use a rolling pin this time and get a mill for next time...

I would honestly suggest delaying the brew if you can. If the LHBS is actually L, then you can go back next time they are open and get them to mill the grain for you.

But in a pinch, the rolling pin method should work. If it was a larger grain bill then I would not suggest that.

its specialty grains and both lhbs are about 30 minutes away so i just might have to go there in the morning if rolling pin doesnt work

edit:i am planning to move to AG in the next batch or so so i will be purchasing some sort of mill

Well, give it the rolling pin run and see what it looks like. If it looks good and crushed then roll with it (haha!) and remember next time to check that the grains are crushed before leaving the shop.

rolling pin or bottle of vodka will have to do haha.....so i guess its a rdwhavodka lol

The people who have mixed feelings about corona mills more than likely never used them and are just regurgitating a bunch of BS. Charlie Papazian gets 87% effinciency with HIS...

And most of us get in the high 70's to 80's ourself.

Why don't you read some information from folks, who actually have experience with them. There's a detailed thread about it here.

revvy ill def take your word into consideration seeing how everyone on here respects your input...i was figuring that corona mills were the same as other mills if u used your brains. well for 20 bucks im gonna try one and see how it goes thanks for al the input guys

I tried the rolling pin method once. For about 5 minutes. I postponed brewing, and went to the LHBS the next day and bought a corona mill. Plus side is they're dirt cheap (and I'm almost always broke). But I wouldn't recommend using one for large grain bills, or if you use a MLT (I can't find a way to get a good enough crush while keeping my mill from shredding my husks) but I do stovetop BIAB partial mashes (and the occasional low gravity AG) and it works well enough for me (and the same would go for specialty grains). But if you have the money I'd cut out the middle man and invest in a good mill from the start especially if you're going AG.

I used a wine bottle for the longest time crushing doing small batch partials a couple pounds can take an hour and a good sweaty workout.I just got a victoria corona and its worth it. The grain is not as pulverized and its a consistant crush with very little dust,pretty nice. I still had good efficencies doing a bottle crush though,if you got the time and patience go for the rolling pin, i liked the bottle better. If you get caripils do your self a favor and have them pre-crushed,wheat malt is pretty hard also.

Back