Crushed Grain Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatMonsters

Reaction score
I ordered some specialty malts from online to make the Fuller's clone for my buddy that my LHBS did not have. I don't have a crusher so I had to ask for them to be crushed. The recipe calls for less than what I ordered (ie - 1/4 .lb and I bought 1/2 .lb). If I vacuum seal the leftovers with one of those food savers, how long could I expect to be able to keep it? Should I freeze it or store it at room temp? Or is not worth the trouble?!?

I know its a small quantity of malt, but why waste it if if I can use these specialty malts in another brew...

Vacuum seal it and refrigerate it if you'll be using them any time soon. Cold and dark are your friends. :)

I've been told that crushed grains can be kept sealed for up to a year, but personally I make a rule-of-thumb to be ASAP.

Kevin Dean said:
Vacuum seal it and refrigerate it if you'll be using them any time soon. Cold and dark are your friends. :)

I've been told that crushed grains can be kept sealed for up to a year, but personally I make a rule-of-thumb to be ASAP.

Thanks for the info!! I'm brewing this weekend and then going to save the two extra malts amts until I can use them again, hopefully sooner than later! Cold and dark, I'll remember that!

Back