Crush question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winvarin

Reaction score
I have an old school JSP Maltmill. It's the fixed roller design so I can't do all the fancy customization like a lot of you guys. That being said, it's served me well over the years. Rock solid. Crushes attached to a drill with no complaints.

But I had a couple of questions considering that I have enough items on my brewing wish list that a new mill won't come around for awhile:

1. Does anybody know what the pre-set gap is on the standard JSP Mill? I bought it in the mid-90s in my poor, post-college days

2. Is that gap sufficient for a good crush, good efficiency? I've been hovering in the 67%-ish to 72%-ish efficiency. I'm wondering if I should look at my crush right away or do I need to start hunting elsewhere in my process.

I'm not familiar with this mill, but I think a credit card is something like .025", so you can probably gauge it with that ( don't mill your credit card :) ). Or you can get some feeler gauges and get a more accurate reading.

If you can't adjust your crush, you should look at the ph of you mash to see if you can increase your efficiency there. I adjusted my barley crusher from .039 down to .030 and didn't see a great gain in efficiency.

If you can consistently get 70%, I would not mess with things. Consistency is the key & 70% is not a bad place to be.

However if you want a finer crush you could run it all thru a second time.

Back